Author Topic: Schiff says GOP must prove relevance for impeachment hearing witnesses  (Read 465 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Schiff says GOP must prove relevance for impeachment hearing witnesses
The Hill, Nov 7, 2019

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said Republicans must justify the relevance of witnesses they want to call in public hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Trump .

Schiff in a letter to Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), the ranking member of the panel, late Wednesday outlined questions that will be used to weigh whether a witness's testimony would be germane.

Among the questions are whether President Trump requested “that a foreign leader and government initiate investigations to benefit the President’s personal political interests” and if he sought to use his office “to apply pressure on the head of state and government of Ukraine to advance the President’s personal political interests,” including leveraging an Oval Office meeting or millions of dollars in military aid.

Schiff also said witnesses must speak to whether the president or administration officials sought to obstruct or cover up any evidence regarding Trump’s actions.

Republicans must submit their witness requests to Schiff by Saturday, including a written justification for the relevance of the testimony from each person they intend to call.

More:  https://thehill.com/homenews/house/469440-schiff-outlines-parameters-for-republican-witnesses-in-impeachment

Re: Schiff says GOP must prove relevance for impeachment hearing witnesses
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 06:40:14 pm »
 :#@$%:

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 06:41:56 pm »
FTA

Schiff said in the letter to Nunes that Democrats don’t intend to request public testimony from every witness the committees have already interviewed, and Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) has said the GOP would likely seek testimony from people beyond those who have already spoken privately.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 06:46:07 pm »
Would the defense be able to cross examine, call their own witnesses and introduce their own evidence in the Senate, or are they somehow hamstrung by what case is made in the House?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 08:28:18 pm »
Adam Schiff Makes Up New Rules for Impeachment Inquiry; Restricts Republican Witness Questions
Joel B. Pollak 7 Nov 2019

House Intelligence Committee chair Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) issued a set of restrictions on Thursday morning limiting Republicans to calling witnesses that can respond to three questions, all of which reflect Democrats’ views.

The questions, detailed in a letter Wednesday from Schiff to ranking member Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) are:

Did the President request that a foreign leader and government initiate investigations to benefit the President’s personal political interests in the United States, including an investigation related to the President’s political rival and potential opponent in the 2020 U.S. presidential election?

Did the President — directly or through agents — seek to use the power of the Office of the President and other instruments of the federal government in other ways to apply pressure on the head of state and government of Ukraine to advance the President’s personal political interests, including by leveraging an Oval Office meeting desired by the President of Ukraine or by withholding U.S. military assistance to Ukraine?

Did the President and his Administration seek to obstruct, suppress, or cover up information to conceal from the Congress and the American people evidence about the President’s actions and conduct?

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/11/07/adam-schiff-makes-up-new-rules-for-impeachment-inquiry-restricts-republican-witness-questions/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 08:31:10 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:09:43 pm »
"Someone must put his foot down,  and that foot is me."

- Dean Wormer
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 09:26:41 pm »
Would the defense be able to cross examine, call their own witnesses and introduce their own evidence in the Senate, or are they somehow hamstrung by what case is made in the House?

It seems to me the Defense Team in the Senate should be able to develop its case any way it wants to.  Not sure how they can defend against an empty shell of a case, though. :shrug:

What Schiff seems to be demanding here is the Republicans can claim relevance, and if the Rats want to deny a witness as irrelevant, there will be spirited discussion that we'll probably hear outside DeeCee.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 10:04:24 pm »
Maybe the best course would be to get out of the way of the kangaroo court,  and just let the Dems draw up their articles of impeachment as quickly as possible.  Maybe the House GOP committee members should just boycott the hearings since they are being denied the ability to defend the President anyway.   Walk out just like the Deltas did with Dean Wormer.   

Then, in the Senate,  call the Bidens as witnesses and make the case that the Administration was justified in holding up aid  - taxpayer money, after all  - pending a showing that Ukraine was serious about addressing corruption.   Including Biden's own extortion of the Ukrainians that he witlessly bragged about. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 10:25:19 pm »
"Someone must put his foot down,  and that foot is me."

- Dean Wormer

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 11:19:16 pm »

Republicans must submit their witness requests to Schiff by Saturday, including a written justification for the relevance of the testimony from each person they intend to call.

So for the 'witnesses' [sic] that have already testified, did Democrats submit these witness requests to Nunez with a written justification for the relevance of the testimony that each person read in the NY Times?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 11:24:33 pm »
I guess it's now official. Schiff is insane.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 11:54:24 pm »
I guess it's now official. Schiff is insane.

Can't imagine why there was ever any doubt.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 01:28:02 am »
It seems to me the Defense Team in the Senate should be able to develop its case any way it wants to.  Not sure how they can defend against an empty shell of a case, though. :shrug:

What Schiff seems to be demanding here is the Republicans can claim relevance, and if the Rats want to deny a witness as irrelevant, there will be spirited discussion that we'll probably hear outside DeeCee.

And who is the first one they want to label as irrelevant?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 01:46:47 am »
And who is the first one they want to label as irrelevant?

The first proffered?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 01:50:09 am »
The first proffered?

I'm pretty sure this is a ploy designed primarily to get Schitt out of testifying. 

By labelling him as irrelevant.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 02:10:28 am »
So the "prosecutor" has claimed the right to decide what witnesses the "defense" can call? I think @Jazzhead may need to apologize to kangaroos. :cool:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 02:34:18 am »
So the "prosecutor" has claimed the right to decide what witnesses the "defense" can call? I think @Jazzhead may need to apologize to kangaroos. :cool:

I can't wait for the Schitt-storm when he tries to veto the first witness. 

:2popcorn:
I will NOT comply.