Author Topic: 15 Killed In Deadliest Attack To Hit Thailand's Restive South In Years  (Read 219 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
15 Killed In Deadliest Attack To Hit Thailand's Restive South In Years
November 6, 20192:37 PM ET  Merrit Kennedy 2018 square

Gunmen opened fire on security forces and civilian volunteers at a checkpoint in Thailand's restive south on Tuesday night, killing at least 15 people in what is believed to be the deadliest single attack in the region in years.

More than 7,000 people have been killed since a separatist rebellion started in southern Thailand in 2004, according to Deep South Watch, which monitors violence there. The region is predominantly Muslim and was annexed from Malaysia by Buddhist-majority Thailand more than 100 years ago.

"This is likely the work of the insurgents," Col. Pramote Prom-in, a military regional security spokesman, told Reuters.

Read more at: https://www.npr.org/2019/11/06/776745585/15-killed-in-deadliest-attack-to-hit-thailands-restive-south-in-years

The area use to be a part of Malaysia (Muslim majority nation I think) which is history I did not know. I knew some Malaysians but they'd go to the Buddhist Temple in town.