Author Topic: Home improvement projects that reportedly don’t pay off at resale  (Read 884 times)

Offline OfTheCross

Boston-area homeowners spent $5.2 billion on home improvement projects in 2017, according to Harvard’s Joint Center for Housing Studies, and it’s little wonder why. Our housing stock is old, for one thing, so about half of that money was spent on replacement projects as opposed to discretionary upgrades. But with home values climbing for nearly seven years straight and many buyers willing to pay a premium for a move-in ready home, remodelers are sometimes rewarded with a higher price at resale, making renovations seem like a sound investment.

But not every project is going to yield a commensurate increase in your property’s value. “Dollars into a home doesn’t always translate into dollars out,’’ said Dana Bull, a real estate investor and realtor with Sagan Harborside Sotheby’s International Realty in Marblehead.

boston.com

I've always been told that bathrooms and kitchens sell homes. Pools and jacuzzis don't pay off
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Home improvement projects that reportedly don’t pay off at resale
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:16:14 pm »
I've always been told that bathrooms and kitchens sell homes. Pools and jacuzzis don't pay off
That's been my understanding. I hope to spruce up our master bathroom soon, replacing vinyl floor and fiberglas shower enclosure with ceramic tile.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:45:23 pm »

That is correct.  The Castle I now live in has a Jacuzzi in the Master Bedroom, and it has had zero effect on the price since it was built in 1990.   There used to be a pool, but it was filled in years ago because it was too expensive to maintain, an actual net drain on the home's value.  I would not have purchased it if it had a pool.  Mrs. Liberty disagrees... :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:45:31 pm »
Hey, when did Bob Vila start posting at the BR?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 06:55:38 pm »
   On Monday I took out a 17 yo 30 gallon water heater and put in a tankless, that kicked my azz and took all day with the rerouting of the gas/water lines.  I've yet to build the cabinet that will house it, paint the walls and level and redo the floor (wood slats).   I'm getting too old for this $hit but too damn stubborn to hire a contractor.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 07:05:55 pm »
   On Monday I took out a 17 yo 30 gallon water heater and put in a tankless, that kicked my azz and took all day with the rerouting of the gas/water lines.  I've yet to build the cabinet that will house it, paint the walls and level and redo the floor (wood slats).   I'm getting too old for this $hit but too damn stubborn to hire a contractor.

You did your own electrical work for it?

I swapped mine out last year, I paid someone to do it, though.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Online corbe

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 09:57:09 pm »
   Yes, @OfTheCross I had to put in a new electrical box also, ran it through the wall from the kitchen.   It's all 'up to code'.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 10:49:24 pm »
   Yes, @OfTheCross I had to put in a new electrical box also, ran it through the wall from the kitchen.   It's all 'up to code'.

That's hefty work.  Last year I had someone replace my upstairs flash heater (which didn't work well) with a regular 40-gallon water heater.  I'm good at Electrical, having spent a few Summers during College working for my father who was an Electrical Contractor, but I am all thumbs when it comes to plumbing.  We don't have gas.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online corbe

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 11:19:22 pm »
  I used PEC pipe and shark bite adapters for the Hot/Cold water connectons and used a Flexible line for the Gas. The Vent pipe was my biggest concern because I didn't want to cut another hole in my roof on this 100+ year house. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 11:23:56 pm »
  I used PEC pipe and shark bite adapters for the Hot/Cold water connectons and used a Flexible line for the Gas. The Vent pipe was my biggest concern because I didn't want to cut another hole in my roof on this 100+ year house.

Your roof thanks you for not having to install a larger Jack.
I will NOT comply.