Author Topic: Breathalyzers can put you in jail. Don't trust them.  (Read 591 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Breathalyzers can put you in jail. Don't trust them.
« on: November 05, 2019, 12:18:57 pm »
https://www.boston.com/cars/national-news/2019/11/04/alcohol-breath-tests-new-york-times

By Stacy Cowley and Jessica Silver-Greenberg  The New York Times Company, 2:25 PM

A million Americans a year are arrested for drunken driving, and most stops begin the same way: flashing blue lights in the rearview mirror, then a battery of tests that might include standing on one foot or reciting the alphabet.

What matters most, though, happens next. By the side of the road or at the police station, drivers blow into a miniature science lab that estimates the concentration of alcohol in their blood. If the level is 0.08 or higher, they are all but certain to be convicted of a crime.

But those tests — a bedrock of the criminal justice system — are often unreliable, a New York Times investigation found. The devices, found in virtually every police station in the U.S., generate skewed results with alarming frequency, even though they are marketed as precise to the third decimal place.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline verga

Re: Breathalyzers can put you in jail. Don't trust them.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:19:08 pm »
Do the Breath test and then demand a blood test.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:39:56 pm »

A good alternative.  A breathalyzer refusal can earn you a trip to jail.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline verga

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 05:53:05 pm »
A good alternative.  A breathalyzer refusal can earn you a trip to jail.
When I lived in NYS you automatically lost your license.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 05:56:14 pm »
When I lived in NYS you automatically lost your license.

Exactly.  When you get out of jail. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 09:53:45 pm »
I am not proud of it but a few years back, after a company party and a fifth of Jack, I was driving home.
(Yes, I know)

On a dark backroad that I turned onto, looking for a I-95 on ramp ... I passed by one.
(on ramp)

Instead of turning around somewhere legally I decided to stop and back up. 8(
Yep, on this desolate and dark road the only vehicle besides me was ... a cop! 8(

Well I was busted, or so I was thinking when he asked if I would take the breathalyzer test!!

I figured that I was done for anyway so ... I took it!

As drunk as I was ... I PASSED!

The story doesn't have such a bad ending though, me driving away would have been bad.

I didn't have my license on me so the officer made me call someone to pick me up.
(No one was at my home to retrieve my license for me at the time)
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 02:13:25 pm »
Depends on the State, but those may not be completely accurate, either (read high).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 10:14:15 pm »
I am not proud of it but a few years back, after a company party and a fifth of Jack, I was driving home.
(Yes, I know)

On a dark backroad that I turned onto, looking for a I-95 on ramp ... I passed by one.
(on ramp)

Instead of turning around somewhere legally I decided to stop and back up. 8(
Yep, on this desolate and dark road the only vehicle besides me was ... a cop! 8(

Well I was busted, or so I was thinking when he asked if I would take the breathalyzer test!!

I figured that I was done for anyway so ... I took it!

As drunk as I was ... I PASSED!

The story doesn't have such a bad ending though, me driving away would have been bad.

I didn't have my license on me so the officer made me call someone to pick me up.
(No one was at my home to retrieve my license for me at the time)
Alright, so how did you get home?

Offline mrclose

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 12:26:11 am »
Alright, so how did you get home?

A friend.
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self