Author Topic: Grand Teton to allow volunteer hunters to help eliminate goats  (Read 587 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Grand Teton to allow volunteer hunters to help eliminate goats
« on: November 02, 2019, 05:10:29 pm »
Grand Teton to allow volunteer hunters to help eliminate goats

Mike Koshmrl Jackson Hole News&Guide Via Wyoming News Exchange Oct 24, 2019

A mountain goat is shown in Idaho's Snake River Range. Grand Teton National Park will allow volunteers to help eradicate around 100 invasive mountain goats in the Teton Range.
Idaho Department of Fish and Game

JACKSON — Details are still fuzzy, but Grand Teton National Park will allow “qualified volunteers” to assist with the effort to eradicate 100 or so invasive mountain goats in the Teton Range.

Mountain goat hunting, in other words, is in store for the national park’s high peaks, though that’s not a term that the National Park Service is using. There’s still a lot to sort out, park Chief of Science and Resources Sue Consolo-Murphy said, such as whether training and certifications will be necessary, what would become of the goat meat and whether park officials will accompany the “volunteers.”

“We really haven’t developed this yet,” Consolo-Murphy said. “We want to spend some time developing what this would look like and figure out how to roll it out and let people know there will be an opportunity to help. I think it probably won’t be unlimited, and we just need to figure this all out.”

Read more at: https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/grand-teton-to-allow-volunteer-hunters-to-help-eliminate-goats/article_1ef35c0b-ab58-56df-b9bb-72c31796e3f8.html

I am not sure where this should go. I will place it here. I think the keyword is "invasive", still, I would have thought these goats might have been a bit of a protected species.  Maybe they cause a bit of commotion at that. Maybe there is nothing that checks their growth. They are, imo, majestic looking creatures.  Nature has a balance it needs I suppose.  Article is 8 days old.

Deer, wolves, even bear, sometimes, I guess their population gets to big.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:13:27 pm by TomSea »