Author Topic: WS Game Six: From chaos to bedlam and Game Seven  (Read 1680 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
WS Game Six: From chaos to bedlam and Game Seven
« on: October 30, 2019, 04:00:22 pm »
Dubious call? The Nats don't blow, and Rendon hits a near-prompt two-run homer toward winning Game Six.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/10/30/from-chaos-to-bedlam-and-game-seven/

Anthony Rendon knew exactly how to shake off a
dubious umpire’s call in Game Six.

The second loveliest word pair in baseball is “Game Seven.” (The first, of course, is “Play ball!”) And oh, brother, are we going to get one in this World Series.

I did say going in that this Series, between these two teams, wasn’t likely to end in either a sweep or an extremely short series. But I sure as hell didn’t expect it to get to Game Seven the way it got there.

Oh, I figured that neither wind nor heat nor gloom of potential elimination would stay a courier named Stephen Strasburg from the reasonably swift completion of his appointed Game Six rounds if he could help it. And, they didn’t.

With one cojones-heavy eight-and-a-third innings performance Strasburg pitched his way into legend and his Nationals to a seventh game that looked anything but likely after the way the Astros battered them in all three Washington games.

But I didn’t expect the next best thing to a 21st Century Don Denkinger moment, either, in the top of the seventh or otherwise. And I sure didn’t expect to see this such moment fire a team up instead of deflate them irrevocably at all, never mind with a near-immediate two-run homer once the hoo-ha stopped hoo-ha-ing.

Plate umpire Sam Holbrook decided, in essence, that a long, bad throw from Astros relief pitcher Brad Peacock fielding Nats shortstop Trea Turner’s little squeaker up from the plate, pulling first baseman Yuli Gurriel off the base, enough to let the throw hit Turner on the back of the knee the split second after his foot hit the base, equaled runner interference.

Turner inadvertently brushed Gurriel’s mitt off his hand. If the throw had reached the inside of the base instead of traveling to its front, Gurriel’s mitt wouldn’t even have been near the onrushing Turner. And Turner’s speed still would have beaten the play at first.

“What else do you do? I don’t know,” said Turner after the game. “The batter’s box is in fair territory. First base is in fair territory. I swung, I ran in a straight line, I got hit with the ball and I’m out. I don’t understand it. I can understand if I veered one way or another. I didn’t.”

It amplified this World Series’s being full of questionable, controversial calls, mostly around the strike zone. And if interference is strictly a judgment call, and umpires really are baseball’s equivalent of judges, as the game’s romantics often analogise, there might be cries for impeachment louder than any cried against particular American presidents past or present.

The Nats fumed long enough over the call—which robbed them of second and third and nobody out—that the umpires donned the headsets and called the New York review nerve center. Not for a review, since runner interference isn’t reviewable, but to send the message that the Nats wanted to play the rest of the game under protest.

And, without manager Dave Martinez, who exploded over the call as the sides changed during the seventh inning stretch and finally got ejected despite two Nats coaches managing to move him back toward his dugout, the better to keep his recently-mended heart and blood pressure from blowing like a presidential tweet storm.

The call in question got thatclose to overshadowing Strasburg’s masterpiece and the otherwise staggering 7-2 Nats win. And, the now very real prospect that this could become the first World Series in which the road team wins every game, including the Game Seven clincher.

This also may prove the most famous instance of a World Series team victimised by an umpire’s controversial call not collapsing, fainting, or imploding afterward. Talking about you, 1985 Cardinals.

That team got a Game Six jobbing in the bottom of the ninth when an inning-opening, obvious-to-the-blind infield out was called safe by first base ump Denkinger, who admitted in due course that he blew the call. Which was nothing compared to the Cardinals blowing their stacks before the Royals went on to win Game Six in that ninth or imploding completely and practically from the beginning in Game Seven.

But these Nats aren’t those Cardinals. “We’re all human,” said Anthony Rendon after the game in a field interview. “Whether we make mistakes or not, nobody’s going to feel sorry for us, so we’ve got to keep going.” Except that Rendon looked superhuman just minutes after the coolest heads finally prevailed.

Nats catcher Yan Gomes returned to first, his leadoff single having started the seventh-inning shebang in the first place. Adam Eaton popped out to third. Then Rendon himself checked in at the plate. And lodged maybe the single most explosive protest associated with Washington baseball since heartsick fans stormed RFK Stadium’s field at the end of the last Senators home game ever.

That protest caused a forfeit to the Yankees in a game the Senators were an out from winning. Rendon’s idea of a protest was to turn on Peacock’s 1-0 meatball and send it right into the Crawford Boxes above the left field wall. In 1985, Denkinger defanged the bear. On Tuesday night Holbrook poked the bear and he roared back.

That plus Rendon’s subsequent two-run double off the top of the bullpen gate in the top of the ninth sealed the Nats’ return from the land of the living dead. Turns out the interference protest didn’t exactly put Rendon in that bad a mood. “I was out here pretty happy about the delay,” he said in a postgame field interview. “I got to sit down awhile.”

But in another, later interview, Rendon became far more thoughtful.

“You can’t let any outside elements get into the game,” he told ESPN’s Jeff Passan. “No matter if it’s the crowd. You’ve got 40,000 people cheering against you. Or whether it’s the weather or if we’re in D.C. and it’s 40 degrees, whatever it might be. No one is going to feel sorry for you. They’re going to expect you to go out there and just perform as best as you can, and they’re going to expect the best out of you.

“Because I feel like people put professional athletes on a pedestal, where they say, ‘Oh, who cares, they’re making millions of dollars, they’re playing a game for a living so it’s easy. They should go out there and be successful every day’,” he continued. “We try to just keep our head down and keep playing.”

Nobody was going to feel sorry for the Astros, necessarily, after Game Six ended with catcher Robinson Chirinos, proud possessor of two Series home runs, popping out behind second base on a full count with Carlos Correa aboard on a two-out double.

Nobody was going to feel sorry for them, either, just because future Hall of Famer Justin Verlander didn’t have more than three shutout innings in him after Rendon’s first-inning RBI single. And, just because Verlander’s needle finally reached below E in the fifth, when Eaton pulled one down the right field line into the stands and, one out later, Juan Soto saw and raised with a skyrocket into the middle of the second deck past right.

“I didn’t really have great feel for the off-speed stuff,” Verlander, always a stand-up man, told interviewers after the game. “The last inning just a poorly executed slider and then really just kind of a fastball up and in.”

Nobody feels terribly sorry for a 107 regular-season winning team that raided Nationals Park like a S.W.A.T. team gone rogue in Games Three through Five after getting bastinadoed at home, then took an early 2-1 Game Six lead on George Springer’s hefty leadoff double ringing the top of the left field scoreboard, Jose Altuve’s sacrifice fly, and Alex Bregman’s solo bomb halfway up the Crawfords.

Nobody felt particularly sorry for the Nats, either, except perhaps in might-have-been terms, as the game went on and it looked again, too often, as though they’d forgotten how to hit with two strikes or otherwise, and how to see their men on base and in scoring position as wanderers to be invited home, not terminal patients allowed to die in peace.

Surely nobody would feel sorry for Strasburg, on the biggest night of his major league life, opening the game by tipping his pitches, as he subsequently admitted after pitching coach Paul Menhart pointed it out to him after the first inning ended.

He wouldn’t have let them, anyway. He pitched in and out of trouble like a sculptor resolving a particularly knotty chunk of stone midway through the game, then smoothed the knot into oblivion and nailed ten straight outs before he was lifted with one out in the bottom of the ninth.

“I saw an incredible pitcher,” said A.J. Hinch, the Astros’s equally thoughtful manager, after the game. “I mean he was really good, and as I said before the game, he has an uncanny ability to slow the game down when he is under any duress.”

Thus do we get a neck pain-relieved Max Scherzer versus Zack Greinke for Game Seven. With all hands on deck for both sides, very likely, including Gerrit Cole and Patrick Corbin and maybe even Anibal Sanchez. Ready to throw whatever kitchen sinks the Astros and the Nats can throw at each other without pulling their arms right out of their sockets.

Thus did we see Max the Knife throwing on flat ground before Game Six and a little in the bullpen during the game, as if to say the Sunday afternoon shot did what it was supposed to do, though certainly not without risk, and he was going to take the mound come hell, high water, or other pain in the neck.

Remember: this is the guy who pitched when he was black-and-blue in the face a day or so after he got hit by an errant batting practise foul bunt in June. A Sunday cortisone shot, and a little chiropractic, and Scherzer was back in the picture. The Nats thank God and His servant Bucky Harris that the game wasn’t dicey enough to compel Martinez to bring Scherzer in Tuesday night, as the skipper admitted crossed his mind while Scherzer threw just to loosen up at mound height.

As if these Nats are rookies at ducking disaster. Not a team that was 19-31 as of 23 May before doing exactly as the Astros did from that date through the end of Game Six: produce the same won-lost record since. And the Astros’ dominant season belies that they spent too much of it looking like an episode of E.R. If they win the Series you won’t know if they should get rings or medical board certification.

But all of a sudden the worst break of the Series for the Nats—Scherzer’s neck locking him up so severely Sunday morning his wife had to help him just wash and dress and he was a Game Five scratch—turned into maybe the greatest break in their history. Because Greinke has a postseason resume described best as modest. And Scherzer even in questionable health is Max the Knife.

The Nats went back to Houston with their heads squarely in Astro-fashioned nooses. On Tuesday night they threw the nooses off. “It had to be this way, right?” said Nats reliever Sean Doolittle, who shook off Correa’s ninth-inning double to finish what Strasburg and company started. “It’s the most 2019 Nats thing ever for this to go to a Game Seven.”

Some of us think just about the entire world otherwise might be surprised. But maybe Doolittle’s onto something. Why, Soto couldn’t resist getting his Bregman on in the fifth, carrying his bat to his first base coach after hitting his blast a la Bregman doing likewise after hitting his in the first.

Now for the stupid part. Bregman actually apologised after the game for his bat carry. The Sacred Unwritten Rules, you know. “I let my emotions get the best of me,” he told a reporter. “I’m sorry for doing that.”

No few grouses crawled all over him for doing it. Soto wasn’t one of them. “I just thought it was pretty cool,” he said of Bregman’s carry. “I wanted to do it.” Bregman, for his part, said he deserved Soto’s response.

Some Nats might have thought Bregman was being a little bit of an ass; Martinez said after the game, simply, “We didn’t like it.” Doolittle, who’s said in the past that he doesn’t care if those bombing him flip bats or mimick bazooka shootings, wasn’t one of those Nats.

“Knowing Soto, I don’t think there was any malice behind it,” Doolittle told a reporter. “And playing against Bregman for a long time, I don’t think there was any malice behind what he did, either. There’s just a lot of emotion in the game . . . Those are two exciting young players. I thought it was fun.”

Holster your weapons, Fun Police. A little mad fun even in Game Six isn’t a terrible thing. Let Bregman have his when he hits one out; let Soto have his when he hits one out. Especially compared to when it was just plain mad in the seventh inning. Especially when the umpire gives the bear a nastier poke than any big bopper carrying his club to his coach after his big bop.

Especially when we get a Game Seven during which we can expect the Nats and the Astros alike to bop till they drop. The only thing we can’t expect is a Washington or Houston legend like Walter Johnson or J.R. Richard coming in to pitch the ninth, then taking it hammer and tongs through extra innings’ shutout relief, until someone finally bends, breaks, gives, or growls.

Well, nobody said you could have everything. Both the Nats and the Astros will just have to settle for a very prospective kitchen sink Game Seven, and one will just have to settle for hoisting the World Series trophy after it. The lease to the Promised Land. The first such lease for any Washington major league team since the birth of IBM; the second such lease in three years for an Astro team that would secure dynastic status with it.

Game Six proved the viability of an old baseball cliche: Anything can happen—and usually does. Game Seven promises a banquet full of you ain’t seen nothing yet. Let’s hope the promise is kept. For Nats fans, for Astros fans, and for baseball itself.
-----------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

Re: WS Game Six: From chaos to bedlam and Game Seven
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 04:06:35 pm »
p.s. Apologies to one and all for no live thread Tuesday night---my Internet service picked the wrong time to have an outage, so I had to watch the game on television and scribble notes the old fashioned way---with a legal notepad and a fountain pen. (Normally, I'd have the telecast on one browser tab and be making notes on Microsoft Word . . .)  wink777
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:12:35 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 04:11:39 pm »
Lost a lot of respect for Martinez and the Nats.  His little 4 year old temper tantrum made him look like the only guy in baseball history who had a bad post season call.  We didn't make that much of last year's Joe West gem.....

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:12:25 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 04:17:47 pm »
Lost a lot of respect for Martinez and the Nats.  His little 4 year old temper tantrum made him look like the only guy in baseball history who had a bad post season call.  We didn't make that much of last year's Joe West gem.....

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Well, at least Martinez waited until they changed sides to blow.

And he isn't even close to the worst tantrum thrower in the game's history. (Call your offices, Leo Durocher, Earl Weaver, Billy Martin, Tommy Lasorda, Lou Piniella, Larry Bowa, Bobby Cox, Blizzard of Ozz, and Jim Tracy, among others . . .)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 04:18:09 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Last night's call was not a bad call in any sense.  In fact, it was the correct call despite Martinez making an AZZ of himself over it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 04:20:25 pm »
@EasyAce would you be so kind as to look into your bottomless bag of stats and find out when the last time a world series had the home team lose the first six games. I'm sure it was before my time if it ever happened at all previously.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 04:22:10 pm »
Well, at least Martinez waited until they changed sides to blow.

And he isn't even close to the worst tantrum thrower in the game's history. (Call your offices, Leo Durocher, Earl Weaver, Billy Martin, Tommy Lasorda, Lou Piniella, Larry Bowa, Bobby Cox, Blizzard of Ozz, and Jim Tracy, among others . . .)

For Lou Piniella throwing tantrums was an art form.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 04:24:18 pm »
@EasyAce would you be so kind as to look into your bottomless bag of stats and find out when the last time a world series had the home team lose the first six games. I'm sure it was before my tie if it ever happened at all previously.
@Bigun
It never happened until Tuesday night:

* The 1906 White Sox won the Series in six games---and until Game Six all games were won by the visiting team. (I hesitate to say "road" team because the Hitless Wonders beat the 116 game-winning Cubs, and when you have nothing more than a crosstown trolley trip between ballparks that ain't exactly cross country or even New York-to-Boston-and-back.)

* The 1986 Series started as a road-winning Series: the Red Sox won Games One and Two in Shea Stadium; the Mets won Games Three and Four in Fenway Park; the Red Sox won Game Five in Fenway but lost the final two in New York.

* The 1996 Yankees won the Series in six, too . . . and they, too, won Game Six at home after the road team won the first five of that set.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 04:25:52 pm »
For Lou Piniella throwing tantrums was an art form.
@Bigun
Art form? Sweet Lou was the Baryshnikov of tantrum throwers.

(Which means, probably, that Billy Martin was the tantrum's Gene Kelly. I'm not sure, though, how to rate Tommy Lasorda. Pavarotti, maybe? Leo Durocher I'm not sure, though considering some of his friends and acquaintances I'm tempted to analogise Crazy Joey Gallo . . .)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:27:29 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 04:28:30 pm »
@Bigun
It never happened until Tuesday night:

* The 1906 White Sox won the Series in six games---and until Game Six all games were won by the visiting team. (I hesitate to say "road" team because the Hitless Wonders beat the 116 game-winning Cubs, and when you have nothing more than a crosstown trolley trip between ballparks that ain't exactly cross country or even New York-to-Boston-and-back.)

* The 1986 Series started as a road-winning Series: the Red Sox won Games One and Two in Shea Stadium; the Mets won Games Three and Four in Fenway Park; the Red Sox won Game Five in Fenway but lost the final two in New York.

* The 1996 Yankees won the Series in six, too . . . and they, too, won Game Six at home after the road team won the first five of that set.

Thanks @EasyAce!  That's what I thought.  Never happened before in the history of the game.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 04:31:28 pm »
Thanks @EasyAce!  That's what I thought.  Never happened before in the history of the game.
@Bigun
They'll probably talk about that for a decent amount of time leading up to and during Game Seven, too. If the Nats win they may become known as the Road Rats.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 04:37:02 pm »
Last night's call was not a bad call in any sense.  In fact, it was the correct call despite Martinez making an AZZ of himself over it.
Agreed.  When has an ump ever changed his call based on how childish the manager behaved?  It was the right call.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 04:41:26 pm »
@Bigun
The Washington Post notes this, too: For the first time in 1,420 best-of-seven series across MLB, the NHL and NBA, the road team has won the first six games.

As broadcast legend Mel Allen liked to say, "How about that?!?"

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 04:46:27 pm »
When has an ump ever changed his call based on how childish the manager behaved?
Certainly never between innings, which is when Martinez really blew his stack and had to be restrained. And since he got the ho-heave at the moment he'd been nudged and shoved back next to his dugout, you'd almost love to know which words got him the thumb. It was also almost completely out of character for Martinez, who has a reputation described best by Thomas Boswell: "If he says more than five words, it's a filibuster."

(Which reminds me all of a sudden of Yogi Berra. The Hall of Famer thought nothing of blowing his stack at the umps over questionable close calls, yet the umpires took more guff from Berra than just about anyone else in the game before tossing him on those occasions when he did get tossed. The likely reason, according to several biographers: Yogi didn't swear no matter how high he blew his stack. Decades later, Berra got to meet Barack Obama in the White House and happily complied when Obama asked him to autograph a photograph---a photo of the famous World Series play in which Jackie Robinson was called hair's-breadth-safe at the plate. Yogi didn't miss a beat: he signed the photo, "Dear Mr. President---He was out! Sincerely, Yogi Berra.")
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:47:30 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 04:46:30 pm »
@Bigun
The Washington Post notes this, too: For the first time in 1,420 best-of-seven series across MLB, the NHL and NBA, the road team has won the first six games.

As broadcast legend Mel Allen liked to say, "How about that?!?"

I'm just hoping it stops at six @EasyAce.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 04:47:53 pm »
I'm just hoping it stops at six @EasyAce.
@Bigun
You and every Astro fan on the planet!  wink777

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 04:48:15 pm »

Exactly, what the gnat faithful doesn't understand is that the entire replay system is configured to see if there is/was sufficient evidence to overturn the call.   IMO there wasn't.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 04:49:22 pm »
Exactly, what the gnat faithful doesn't understand is that the entire replay system is configured to see if there is/was sufficient evidence to overturn the call.   IMO there wasn't.

It wasn't even close IMHO.  But who cares about that.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 04:52:08 pm »
@catfish1957
The call itself can't be overturned according to the formal rules---as I noted in my essay, it's a judgment call strictly. But I'm willing to bet that the rule itself may come under review sooner or later; if it had been the Astros at the plate and their guy got called out on that play, they might have blown their gaskets, too. (They might also have nailed a semi-insurance two-run homer an out later, too.) A lot of former players helped blow Twitter up over the play and most of them speaking in such terms agreed the rule itself needs to be reviewed and/or changed.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 04:58:01 pm »
@catfish1957
The call itself can't be overturned according to the formal rules---as I noted in my essay, it's a judgment call strictly. But I'm willing to bet that the rule itself may come under review sooner or later; if it had been the Astros at the plate and their guy got called out on that play, they might have blown their gaskets, too. (They might also have nailed a semi-insurance two-run homer an out later, too.) A lot of former players helped blow Twitter up over the play and most of them speaking in such terms agreed the rule itself needs to be reviewed and/or changed.

That rule has not changed for as long as I've been around @EasyAce and I personally doubt it will be.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 05:50:32 pm »
Sam Holbrook ... judgement call ...   888mouth

Rendon had a really great game - good for him!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 07:19:16 pm »
p.s. Apologies to one and all for no live thread Tuesday night---my Internet service picked the wrong time to have an outage, so I had to watch the game on television and scribble notes the old fashioned way---with a legal notepad and a fountain pen. (Normally, I'd have the telecast on one browser tab and be making notes on Microsoft Word . . .)  wink777

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 08:33:46 pm »
Will Game 7 necessarily be a let down?

yogi555

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 08:51:33 pm »
Will Game 7 necessarily be a let down?

yogi555
@EdJames
Well, as Game Sevens go, the Nats and the Astros have a lot to live up to . . .

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 08:55:03 pm »
@EdJames
Well, as Game Sevens go, the Nats and the Astros have a lot to live up to . . .

Nice lead in Ace!!

:beer: