Author Topic: The strategic utility of mocking Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi  (Read 224 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The strategic utility of mocking Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
« on: October 28, 2019, 04:28:13 pm »
Announcing ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's death, President Trump didn't hold back on Sunday. Baghdadi, Trump said, "died after running into a dead-end tunnel, whimpering and crying and screaming all the way."

That was only the first of a number of insults Trump lobbed at Baghdadi and ISIS during his speech. But while some are condemning the president's rhetoric, I believe it was both morally justified and strategically valuable.

Although it might seem that Trump was resorting to standard fare rhetorical excesses, the president seems to have intended his words to carry a broader strategic effect here. Note, for example, Trump's repeated focus on dogs, an animal regarded by most Islamic teachings as unclean and unworthy of companionship. Describing Baghdadi's desperate, attempt to escape, Trump noted how "our dogs chased him down." Trump later observed that many ISIS fighters are "very frightened puppies" and concluded by saying that Baghdadi "died like a dog, he died like a coward."

This canine focus is extremely odd unless it is intentional, which I suspect it is. And that would be a good thing. ISIS presents itself as the holiest citadel of warriors, as a group serving God's pure and ordained will on Earth. But when the leader of ISIS's most hated adversary mocks its deceased caliph (emperor) as a fool who ran into a dead-end tunnel while being chased by lowly dogs, it erodes ISIS's credibility. It underscores how the organization, which at one point nearly qualified for its own seat at the United Nations, is now perceived as a sad joke.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/the-strategic-utility-of-mocking-abu-bakr-al-baghdadi
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: The strategic utility of mocking Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 09:50:12 pm »
I never realized the degree to which the Muslims hated dogs.

I do hope that our Special Ops force is training for the next adventure against them a special group of pigs to ferret them out.

Pigs will frighten them even more.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: The strategic utility of mocking Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:01:58 pm »
I never realized the degree to which the Muslims hated dogs.

I do hope that our Special Ops force is training for the next adventure against them a special group of pigs to ferret them out.

Pigs will frighten them even more.

I propose the next code name be called: Operation, Arnold Ziffel
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.