Poll

Who will Win the World Series?

Washington Nationals
1 (50%)
Houston Astros
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: October 29, 2019, 01:38:58 am

Author Topic: World Series preview: Ready for a none-too-short Serious?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
World Series preview: Ready for a none-too-short Serious?
« on: October 21, 2019, 07:04:06 pm »
The Nats and the 'Stros match better than you think. No prediction, but let's ride the baby sharks.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/10/21/ready-for-a-none-too-short-serious/

Washington hopes the sharks bite. They have a better
chance even against the Astros than you might think.

The 1906 White Sox. The 1914 Braves. The 1954 Giants. The 1960 Pirates. The 1969 Mets. The 1987 Twins. The 1988 Dodgers. The 1990 Reds. The 2003 Marlins. The 2006 Cardinals.

The 2019 Nationals?

They’d love nothing more than to join the roll of history’s greatest World Series upsets. And it’ll be about as simple as slicing filet mignon with a paper knife.

Not just because the Astros are their opponents. That much difficulty is a given going in. But difficulty doesn’t quite mean impossibility. And the Nats have already done a couple of impossibles entering the first Washington-team World Series since the year Albert Einstein moved to the United States as a refugee from the Third Reich.

Just picking themselves up from that lousy day in May when they ended their day 19-31, with their manager’s execution orders presumably signed and notarised, may have been impossible enough.

Starting from the following day through today, the Nats have gone 82-40 and scored 700 runs. Only one team in baseball knocked on their door from the same point through today, going 81-41 and scoring 690 runs. Who’s that team? Hint: they have this Series’s home field advantage.

In the postseason? The Baby Sharks faced three elimination games and won. The Astros faced one, and won. Even with the Nats having almost a full week off before going to Houston to start the World Series, they may have a slight momentum advantage.

Especially since they’re probably not even close to feeling the pressure. They’ve already been through the worst of it. Entering this postseason the world said the Nats caved under postseason pressure early. Right? Never even got to the National League Championship Series. Right?

Then the Nats faced an elimination game against the Brewers and won. Then they faced two against the Dodgers—the best-in-the-NL-Dodgers—and won. Then they swept the Cardinals, who had to go down to the wire to win the NL Central by only two fewer than the Nats, in the National League Championship Series. They’re getting pretty damn good at odds defiance.

Division series play began in 1969. The Miracle Mets beat a team that was supposed to smother them in the World Series. Would you like to know how much more often the better regular season team has won the World Series since division play began?

Once.

Thomas Boswell exhumes that starting in 1969 the teams whose regular season showed the better records are 23-24 in the World Series. Fifteen of those Series, he adds, began by looking lopsided with one combatant having a 10+ advantage in regular season wins . . . and those “better” teams are 7-8 in those Series.

The Nats won fourteen fewer games on the regular season than the Astros did. A look at the Astros making their third straight postseason and second World Series in three years might tell you the Nats are David against Goliath. But a look at their 2019 postseasons to date might tell you David has a fair chance of evening Goliath out:

The Nats’ division series slash line: .230/.321/.373. (OPS: .694.) The Astros’: .242/.294/.406. (OPS: .700.) The Nats’ NLCS slash line: .274/.327/.415. (OPS: .741.) The Astros’ ALCS: .179/.281/.318. (OPS: .600.)

The Nats’ division series pitching: 4.20 ERA; 1.27 walks/hits per inning pitched. The Astros’: 3.56/1.23. Then the Nats removed the major culprits from the roster. Presumably with orders that Hunter Strickland and Wander Suero are to be shot on sight if they even think about poking their noses out of their holes.

Now, the Nats’ NLCS pitching: 1.25 ERA; 0.64 WHIP. The Astros’ ALCS? Let’s be fair to them, too, and remove their main culprits, Bryan Abreu. (Two earned in two-thirds of a Game One inning and wasn’t seen again in the set.) And, take Ryan Pressly out of the equation for a moment, since his two earned in two-thirds of a Game One inning belie how well he pitched in Games Four and Six. Now look: 2.51/1.12.

Anthony Rendon (Nats) and Alex Bregman (Astros) are as close to a third base match as you can find, with a slight edge to Bregman for a slightly higher regular-season OBP and an OPS a measly .005 points higher. Advantage: Astros by a sliver.

Ryan Zimmerman is the Nats’ grand old man at first base who doesn’t look as good as Yuli Gurriel on paper, but Gurriel’s bat went mostly to sleep until his first-inning ALCS Game Six three-run homer. Still, the late-blooming Gurriel—who’s a year older than Zimmerman and doesn’t look it—had a better regular season. Slight advantage: Astros.

Howie Kendrick (Nats) has just about the same flair for the jaw-dropping drama as Jose Altuve (Astros), but he’s no Altuve at second base and Altuve is still in his prime while Kendrick has produced magnificently as an elder spare part. Advantage: Astros.

Michael Brantley made one decibel-busting play in left in ALCS Game Six but as a left fielder and at the plate he’s no Juan Soto. Advantage: Nats.

Victor Robles has a very promising future in center field if he can stay healthy, but he’s no George Springer. Springer’s only beginning to shake off his early postseason funk and Robles is still on the comeback trail from a division series hamstring tweak. Advantage: Astros.

Adam Eaton is harmless in right field but the Nats actually would have been better off this year with the $330 million guy he replaced. Even with that, he hits slightly better than Josh Reddick where Reddick is slightly more adept with the leather. Advantage: neither.

Both Trea Turner and Carlos Correa are good defensive shortstops. Correa had two bombs in the ALCS but didn’t hit much of anything else; Turner hit more consistently in the NLCS and is a lot more dangerous on the bases when he gets there. Correa had a slightly better regular season OBP but he tried and stole only one base to Turner stealing 35. (Lifetime stolen base percentages: Turner, .841; Correa, .804.) Advantage: Nats.

To the Astros’ Big Three starters—Gerrit Cole, Justin Verlander, and Zack Greinke, to take the likely World Series-opening order—the Nats have a Big Three Plus the Unexpected One: Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, and Patrick Corbin, plus Anibal Sanchez—you know, the guy who opened the NLCS by damn near no-hitting the Cardinals the day before Max the Knife damn near did.

Cole and Verlander are powerful Cy Young Award candidates and Verlander, of course, is a future Hall of Famer with a formidable postseason jacket since he became an Astro in the first place. But while Cole went from possible Cy Young winner on the season to off the charts early in the postseason, Verlander’s been vulnerable ever since his unlikely short-rest division series start against the Rays.

And Greinke got spanked in his only division series start before graduating back to touchable-but-survivable (three earned in Game One; one earned in a short Game Four outing) in the ALCS.

Scherzer and Strasburg look at least the equal of Cole and slightly better off than Verlander this postseason, and Strasburg carries maybe the most quiet postseason pitching mystique of all time into the World Series. The Nats’ previous postseason implosions obscured that Strasburg lifetime in the postseason has a 1.10 ERA.

Scherzer’s going to be pitching for his legacy, too: Max the Knife has a 3.35 lifetime postseason ERA and a 1.03 WHIP. And you can be sure he’d prefer not to let his old Tigers buddy Justin Time have seconds when he hasn’t had his firsts yet.

Corbin and Greinke, those old Diamondbacks buds, haven’t had their firsts yet, either. Maybe the stars, plus managers A.J. Hinch and Dave Martinez, might find a way to tangle them before it’s over?

The Nats may have the option of bumping Sanchez up to Game Three and sending Corbin out to pitch against an Astros bullpen game. Not as scary for Nats fans as it might have been at first.

Corbin ended (temporarily, we think) the Nats’ starters-as-reliever division series technique when the Dodgers beat six earned runs out of him in a third-game relief outing. But he started NLCS Game Four and struck out twelve Cardinals in five innings despite surrendering four earned runs—which the Nats could well afford since tearing seven out of them in the first inning.

The Nats’ bullpen was mostly a regular season disaster. Then, after a couple of division series disasters, they pruned the pen down to Sean Doolittle, Daniel Hudson, rookie Tanner Rainey (who pitched his way into a setup role), and Grandpa Fernando Rodney. Doolittle and Hudson are veterans who can extend when need be; Rainey’s good for the quick shutdown; and Rodney might be in for matchup play but he can still give you an extra inning here and there.

That’s good for the Nats’ mostly effective and long-running starters, since it’s not enough to even think about matching an Astro bullpen game with one of their own. And while the Astros have a mostly shutdown closer in Roberto Osuna, Osuna’s armour did get blown open in the top of the ninth of ALCS Game Six. He needed every foot of Altuve’s ALCS-winning two-run homer to put it back together again.

And both teams were built in pretty much the same way: a rock-solid homegrown core married to mostly imported pitching.

All of which is to say that this isn’t likely to be a short World Series. Six games minimum, seven games more than probable, barring unforeseen circumstances. (And, nothing personal, Astros and your fans, but you look like you’re in leg casts when you dance for celebration. The Dancing Nats you ain’t.) And baseball is nothing if not the thinking person’s game of unforeseen circumstances.

Great misfortune often leads to unforeseen reward, Don Vito Corleone mused in The Godfather. (The novel, not the film.) In baseball, great fortune often leads to unforeseen disaster. Just ask the 1906 Cubs, the 1914 Athletics, the 1954 Indians, the 1960 Yankees (who actually out-scored the Pirates in that World Series, 55-27), the 1969 Orioles, the 1987 Cardinals, the 1988 and 1990 A’s, the 2003 Yankees, and the 2006 Tigers.

It could work both ways this time around. The Astros’ regular season was great fortune. So is their postseason until now. The Nats’ obeyed Corleone’s Law about unforeseen reward after 23 May and in the postseason to date. Both the Nats and the Astros would like to remind each other of another rule by which Don Corleone lived: Every man has but one destiny.

It’s a shame we can’t really know the Nats’ or the Astros’ destinies just yet. But the Astros are only two years removed from a World Series triumph and still hold the title deed to the American League West, which they’re not likely to surrender for another few seasons yet. The Nats haven’t reached the World Series until now in their franchise history, which isn’t as old as the Astros’ but is as old as Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon.

And a Washington team has won but one Series—in the same year as the founding of MGM, the introduction of the tommy gun by bootlegging gangsters, the birth of Miracle Mets manager Gil Hodges (who first managed a second Senators team), and the death of Frank (Tinker-to-Evers-to-) Chance.

As much as I love to watch both these teams play baseball, I’ll say it again: we need something better out of Washington than the nation’s largest organised crime family. And we’ve got it with the Baby Sharks. If I had my way, the Astros can just hurry up and wait one more year. It won’t kill them. Pinkie swear.
----------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: World Series preview: Ready for a none-too-short Serious?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 07:38:57 pm »
Thank you for a fabulous analysis, @EasyAce   !!!

Can't wait for it to start.....   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 07:41:29 pm »
Thank you for a fabulous analysis, @EasyAce   !!!

Can't wait for it to start.....   :beer:
@DCPatriot
 :beer:

I'm more than ready!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 08:16:55 pm »
It'll be fun.
@EasyAce @DCPatriot
I'm not too sure that hurry up and wait one more year will work out, pinkie swear or not.
Maybe, but I don't think Cole will be here, which may make that hill harder to climb again.
If the Astros are going to be a team of destiny/one for the ages/etc., etc., the chance may not come again.
But....

You never know.

We can all be grateful that Yankee fans aren't involved with either of these teams for the rest of the post season.
I wonder how the Yankee players feel about all that nonsense?

I liked CC.
Sorry his last outing ended in injury.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:19:56 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 08:43:43 pm »
I'm not too sure that hurry up and wait one more year will work out, pinkie swear or not.
Maybe, but I don't think Cole will be here, which may make that hill harder to climb again.
If the Astros are going to be a team of destiny/one for the ages/etc., etc., the chance may not come again.
But....

You never know.
@GrouchoTex
The reason I think they'll have more chances is that they've got one of the smartest organisations in the game. They've found ways to replace lost keys or augment their core time and again. This isn't an organisation that gets caught flatfoot.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 08:52:20 pm »
@GrouchoTex
The reason I think they'll have more chances is that they've got one of the smartest organisations in the game. They've found ways to replace lost keys or augment their core time and again. This isn't an organisation that gets caught flatfoot.

I won't disagree, but at this moment in time, this 2019 roster is the best roster they've ever had, in my opinion.
Better than 2017.
It would be a shame if they didn't capitalize on that.

Let's Make a deal.....

Similar teams, both being "expansion" teams, technically, even though both have been around for a while.
Both have had name changes, and one even had a location change.

The Astros lost their 1st trip to the series, and won their second try.
The Nats can lose this trip and win their next one.
See how it all works out?
Deal?

:cool:

I can hardly wait for tomorrow night!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:06:13 pm »
Everyone's started to wear red in the DC area ---just "warming up!".  People are walking around with fingers, hands and arms crossed.  If they could figure out a way to walk with their legs crossed, they'd be doing this, too!   :laugh:

There's even been sporadic outbreaks of bonding among strangers on the Metro!!   :beer:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 09:09:49 pm »
I spent Friday and Saturday in the Texas hill country, about 50 miles north of San Antonio, and 50 Miles west of Austin.
A lot of people were wearing Astros hats and T-shirts (myself as well).

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 09:37:27 pm »
I won't disagree, but at this moment in time, this 2019 roster is the best roster they've ever had, in my opinion.
Better than 2017.
It would be a shame if they didn't capitalize on that.

Let's Make a deal.....

Similar teams, both being "expansion" teams, technically, even though both have been around for a while.

Deal?

Jeff Luhnow....   Best GM in baseball, hands down.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 09:50:22 pm »
Let's Make a deal.....

Thank you . . .

Now . . . Door number one:

I'll give you this---it wasn't fun for the Astros as the team to be named later in the deal that made National Leaguers out of the Brewers.

Another commonality, though: both the Astros and the Nats played most of their home games (and I'm tracing back to the Montreal era) in two of the most hideous stadiums known to mankind, until they finally got ballparks to be proud of.

Now, door number two . . .

The Astros and the Nats are on their cities' third World Series trips. Washington has one World Series win. Houston has one.

Which brings us to door number three . . .

Washington's been waiting 95 years for the second Series triumph. And, they've had two teams hijacked out of town by two odious enough owners in the interim. Most cities losing baseball teams got fleeced once, and several (Boston, Philadelphia, St. Louis, New York) still had teams in town. (Boston was the capital of Red Sox Nation, so who needed the Braves? Philadelphia still had the Phillies, whether or not Philadelphia thought that was like losing GM but still having a horse carriage maker to be proud of. St. Louis was so much the hub of Cardinal Country that the decrepit Browns couldn't pay people to see their games. New York still had the Yankees, who originall high-tailed it up there from Baltimore but never mind for now.)

Houston? It's only been two years since their so-far only World Series triumph.

See how that works?

Deal?

Neither can I!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:52:20 pm by EasyAce »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 10:06:45 pm »
The Nats and the 'Stros match better than you think. No prediction, but let's ride the baby sharks.

Adding a couple of more intanglibles......

* If Alvarez can adjust and return to mid season form....    Watch out......

* In Game 3, where the AL plays in an NL stadium, this pitcher's hitting typical favors the NL.  Not this time.  Grienke is among the best of hitting pitchers in baseball, with a lifetime ba of .225.  Cole's no slouch either (probable Game 5 in DC) at .163. 

*  Ace, don't forget that while comparing pitching stats, the AL's is skewed by not having the luxury of pitching to pitchers.  I also take exception of saying Scherzer and Strasberg are the equal of Cole. I know the argument could be made of wheter they were that good, or were the Cardinals that bad into a collective slump.   Game 1 should settle that pretty quickly.

* IF the Astros hit .179 this series, the smoke and mirrors light show will fail.  This and only this should be our downfall.   Death by slump. 

My prediction....   Astros in 7.  If the Astros bat under say .220, then the Nationals  in 7.

BTW, we all know from your prose that the  Astros are not one of your least favorite teams.  Hope you won't be too sad if we win our 2nd crown in 3 years.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 10:17:55 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 10:16:33 pm »

The Astros and the Nats are on their cities' third World Series trips. Washington has one World Series win. Houston has one.

Not really wanting to argue semantics, but this franchise (Montreal/Washington)  has yet to win a series.  Counting the  future Twins, and Rangers doesn't count.   

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 10:44:05 pm »
Not really wanting to argue semantics, but this franchise (Montreal/Washington)  has yet to win a series.  Counting the  future Twins, and Rangers doesn't count.
I spoke of Washington the city, not the franchise(s).

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 10:48:04 pm »
BTW, we all know from your prose that the  Astros are not one of your least favorite teams.  Hope you won't be too sad if we win our 2nd crown in 3 years.
@catfish1957
Actually, I happen to like watching the Astros play.

I just hope you won't be too sad if (and it might yet be a big "if") the Astros don't win their second crown in three years.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 10:59:10 pm »
@catfish1957
Actually, I happen to like watching the Astros play.

I just hope you won't be too sad if (and it might yet be a big "if") the Astros don't win their second crown in three years.

I've been an Astros fan since 1965.  Which means I endured 1965-1979.  I know baseball heartache, and being able to say, "We'll get 'em Next Year" in July.

Fan Graphs among others has the winning pct probability over >70%.  I don't believe  that for a minute.  Like I said above, this thing could go either way.  Going 6 straight ALCS games without exceeding 8 hits bothered me tremendously.  If we repeat this result, the crown will belong to Washington.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 11:08:24 pm »
I've been an Astros fan since 1965.  Which means I endured 1965-1979.  I know baseball heartache, and being able to say, "We'll get 'em Next Year" in July.
I've been a Met fan since the day they were born. With exceptions I can count on half a hand, we Met fans have usually had to say, "This year is next year."

(We can both only imagine what pre-1950s St. Louis Browns fans usually had to say. Maybe, "This decade is next decade?")

Going 6 straight ALCS games without exceeding 8 hits bothered me tremendously.
I have to admit, I was absolutely dumbstruck that the Astros didn't hit better in the ALCS. Just for openers, Yuli Gurriel hit great in the division series but his bat deserted during the ALCS until he hit the Game Six three-run homer. That surprised me. George Springer hitting .143 in the division series and .160 in the ALCS surprised me. I saw everything I could have expected and beyond from the Astro defense but I still can't believe they never picked up more than eight hits in any ALCS game.

But, then, I'm also not the guy who's going to spend the rest of his life having to answer, "Why the hell did you let Aroldis Chapman pitch to Jose Altuve on 2-1 without putting him on to get the spaghetti bat hitting behind him and have that much better chance of going to the eleventh inning, either?" And, being unable to have dinner without at least one obnoxious Yankee fan demanding to know why his head avoided the guillotine box for denying their birthright.

Pitching to Jose Altuve in a hitter's count with a man on and a chance to bust a tie (and win a pennant while he's at it), even with two outs, is about as safe as taking a steak to a lion expecting the lion to say he went vegan a couple of weeks ago.

Just for amusement, I looked it up. Jose Altuve in 2019 . . .

* Was a 1.217 OPS hitter on 2-1.
* Went 6-for-23 on 2-1 and three of the six hits were home runs.
* Hit only .254 with two outs on the season . . . but eight of his 32 two-out hits were home runs.

The Yankees were just begging for it when they let Aroldis Chapman try to finish pitching to Altuve in Game Six with Jake Marisnick (.289 OBP in 2019; .222 hitter with two outs; .154 hitter with first and second and two outs) on deck.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:17:26 pm by EasyAce »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 11:16:30 pm »
I've been a Met fan since the day they were born. With exceptions I can count on half a hand, we Met fans have usually had to say, "This year is next year."

Being a Mets fan in 1969, is like getting 3 rings.  Historic comeback, and being able to give Leo and his flubs the finger. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 11:23:33 pm »
Being a Mets fan in 1969, is like getting 3 rings.  Historic comeback, and being able to give Leo and his flubs the finger.
@catfish1957
I can tell you from experience it only felt like three rings. Which is pretty good for a team that began as a three-ring circus.  wink777

And as for Leo Durocher, it couldn't have happened to (*ahem*) a nicer guy.

But the 1969 Cubs unfortunately didn't need the Mets to give Leo the finger---the Lip managed that all by himself, by among other things:

* Burning his bullpen, especially his end-game ace (and current Mets pitching coach) Phil (The Vulture) Regan.
* Refusing judicious rest to his regulars.
* Fostering an atmosphere of such fear approaching the stretch that injured players played through their injuries and made things worse out of fear of Durocher reaming them as quitters.
* So ramping up his normal umpire baiting that you could have sworn the National League's entire umpiring corps had it in for Durocher, with a small truckload of close calls going against the Cubs down the stretch almost routinely.

For the guy who stole a pennant race comeback with what was then a high-tech sign-stealing scheme involving a hand-held spy telescope and a buzzer to the bullpen (steal signs just on the bases or the coaching lines is gamesmanship; steal them with scopes, buzzers, and other tech tricks, that's grand theft and, by the way, against the rules even then), it was nothing less than justice when the Mets heated up and took the division. For the Cubs players themselves, it took them awhile to realise they'd been had by their own manager.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 11:35:49 pm »
I've been an Astros fan since 1965.  Which means I endured 1965-1979.
Maybe you should have been there for the original Colt .45s. Who played in a stadium so often joined by mosquitoes that Mets outfielder Richie Ashburn said of Colts Stadium, "This is the only park in the league where the women wear insect repellent instead of perfume."

I just discovered this book about the Astros' Colts origins:

Looks like a coffee table book but very interesting stuff.

(I could be wrong, but it looks as though the player shown on the cover is pitcher Bob Bruce, a Colt/Astro from 1962-66 and the first 15-game winner in franchise history and the first Colt/Astro to pitch an immaculate inning. The further good news: Bruce threw the last official pitch in Colt Stadium and the first official regular-season pitch in Astrodome history. The bad news: in the third inning, Philadelphia's Dick Allen tagged Bruce for a two-run homer that made the difference: the final score was 2-1, Phillies.)

And surely you know the best line about the expansion draft that created the Mets and the Astros (Colt .45s) came from Houston's inaugural general manager Paul Richards, when he saw the list of National League players to be made available for picking: Gentlemen, we've just been f@cked.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:41:07 pm by EasyAce »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 01:25:21 am »
Maybe you should have been there for the original Colt .45s. Who played in a stadium so often joined by mosquitoes that Mets outfielder Richie Ashburn said of Colts Stadium, "This is the only park in the league where the women wear insect repellent instead of perfume."

I just discovered this book about the Astros' Colts origins:

Looks like a coffee table book but very interesting stuff.

(I could be wrong, but it looks as though the player shown on the cover is pitcher Bob Bruce, a Colt/Astro from 1962-66 and the first 15-game winner in franchise history and the first Colt/Astro to pitch an immaculate inning. The further good news: Bruce threw the last official pitch in Colt Stadium and the first official regular-season pitch in Astrodome history. The bad news: in the third inning, Philadelphia's Dick Allen tagged Bruce for a two-run homer that made the difference: the final score was 2-1, Phillies.)

And surely you know the best line about the expansion draft that created the Mets and the Astros (Colt .45s) came from Houston's inaugural general manager Paul Richards, when he saw the list of National League players to be made available for picking: Gentlemen, we've just been f@cked.

Just a tad too young to remember the Colt '45 days.  But I do know and remember that back in the days prior to free agency, teams like ours had the big boys thumbs on us.  Once we started cultiviating talent, (Staub, Cuellar, Morgan, as examples), our inept management made disasterous trades, and that's mostly why it took 18 years for Houston to make its first post season appearance.

Our team was so awful, I can actually remember celebrating finishing .500 in 1969. (Our first non losing season)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 01:31:26 am by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 04:03:35 pm »
Thank Goodness TBR is back.

On the bright side, I didn't have to share my WS meltdown here.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 04:05:54 pm »

:lotsosmileys:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 04:50:02 pm »

:beer:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 04:58:21 pm »
Washington has one World Series win. Houston has one.
C'mon @EasyAce!
Semantics.
You know what I was referring to.
This teams was the former Montreal Expos.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 04:59:43 pm »
I spoke of Washington the city, not the franchise(s).
...and I of Washington the franchise, not the city.