Author Topic: 25 worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees ever  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
25 worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees ever
« on: October 20, 2019, 11:09:28 pm »
By Troy L. Smith, Cleveland.com

It's that time of year again for people to get enraged. That's because the nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2020 are due any day now.

But before we get to whether newly eligible acts like Oasis, The Notorious B.I.G. and Weezer will make the cut, or if longtime snubs like Depeche Mode, Doobie Brothers or Kraftwerk will finally get in, let's take a look back.

Like most Halls of Fame, the Rock Hall can be polarizing. While, you can make an argument for just about any artist that has been inducted, there are a few dozen fans will swear have no business in music's hallowed ground.

In an effort to upset as many people as possible (Not really, but it's inevitable), we ranked the 25 worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame selections of all time. You know, the ones that had you scratching your head wondering why them and not [insert snub here].

This is just one man's opinion, of course. Just remember: They're all good, if not great artists. But were they Rock Hall worthy?

More: https://www.cleveland.com/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/10/5fc65672977216/25-worst-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees-ever.html

Offline goatprairie

Re: 25 worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees ever
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:45:14 pm »
Let's just say the person who wrote up this list is a stooge. Everybody has their own favorites, but to claim, for instance, Del Shannon or The Dave Clark Five are unworthy to be in the RRHOF and some of the barely known musicians who never had a song on the charts are worthy is nothing short of ridiculous.
This is basically some dope who didn't like some noteworthy musicians wanting to excise them from the impact they made.
I personally don't care much about the RRHOF for this reason.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 11:58:19 pm »
"Better Option", I actually would agree with some, probably most of these. Music is subjective.

I don't like music snobbery; though, most of the acts "inducted" and "better option", to me, look like they are somewhat ignored by the elite.

And I don't like to consciously short-changed anyone. Most of those deserve to be in there as far as I'm concerned.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 01:29:07 am »
"Better Option", I actually would agree with some, probably most of these. Music is subjective.

I don't like music snobbery; though, most of the acts "inducted" and "better option", to me, look like they are somewhat ignored by the elite.

And I don't like to consciously short-changed anyone. Most of those deserve to be in there as far as I'm concerned.
There's a number of acts I wouldn't walk across the street to watch for free. Some REAL BIG!!! names.  But if there's a good reason to have a hall of fame for rock and roll, they certainly belong to be there.
Some of the names mentioned by the scribbler of the article might have influenced some people, but that doesn't mean they belong in the hall of fame. If they don't have one single hit on the charts, I don't see how they deserve to be in.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:08:06 am »

This is basically some dope who didn't like some noteworthy musicians wanting to excise them from the impact they made.

@goatprairie

He strikes me more as being a nerd trying to show how cool he really,really is (just ask his mom) because he knows a few semi-obscure names.

Or someone forced to write x-amount of column inches to keep his job.

BTW,he is right about one thing,though. Link Wray not being in the Rock and Roll Hal of Fame borders on  downright criminal. There may not have been anybody more influential than he was when it came to creating rock and roll,and NOBODY more influential when it came to creating rock and roll guitar licks.

He was still performing on stages right up to the time he died a couple of years ago,too. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:12:50 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 12:16:51 pm »
@goatprairie

He strikes me more as being a nerd trying to show how cool he really,really is (just ask his mom) because he knows a few semi-obscure names.

BTW,he is right about one thing,though. Link Wray not being in the Rock and Roll Hal of Fame borders on  downright criminal. There may not have been anybody more influential than he was when it came to creating rock and roll,and NOBODY more influential when it came to creating rock and roll guitar licks.

He was still performing on stages right up to the time he died a couple of years ago,too.
I happen to like Link Wray. I have some of his stuff on my MP3 player. "Rumble" is still good.

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 12:34:48 pm »
@goatprairie

Amen on Link Wray!
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 12:46:02 pm »
@goatprairie

@sneakypete

There are alot of total travesties like that. Kraftwerk is one. They started electronica and all that came after.

B-52's, Pixies, Doobie Brothers, Iron Maiden, and Barry White to name some more. Some of them practically wrote their own genre.

I hate that kind of politics when it comes to things like music, and I really hate the elitist little a-holes that play their stupid little games like you describe. You may not be into their music, that doesn't diminish their influence.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:47:11 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 01:09:27 pm »
I do find the idea of a HOF for rock and rollers amusing. Rock and roll was supposed to be the music that thumbed its nose (or shook its rear end) at the establishment.
But now we have people arguing about what rockers or pseudo-rockers to put into a hall of fame which sort of represents a kind of an institution rockers are supposed to be rebelling against.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 01:49:47 pm »
I happen to like Link Wray. I have some of his stuff on my MP3 player. "Rumble" is still good.

@goatprairie

"Rumble" will ALWAYS be good.

My favorite is "Good Time Joe",but "Backwoods Preacher Man" runs a close second. "Rocket 88" is pretty good,too.

And I am positive Rumble and Good Time Joe will still be good when people are playing them in the 25th Century.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 01:55:37 pm »
This garbage HOF is nothing but a sounding board for the dipshits at Rolling Stoned Magazine.  Too many "worsts" to cover.

And biggest travesty of all, was it took all the way to 2013 for the band Rush to make it there.   F this sham of a Hall.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 01:55:49 pm »
I do find the idea of a HOF for rock and rollers amusing. Rock and roll was supposed to be the music that thumbed its nose (or shook its rear end) at the establishment.
But now we have people arguing about what rockers or pseudo-rockers to put into a hall of fame which sort of represents a kind of an institution rockers are supposed to be rebelling against.

@goatprairie

That is just trying to ignore reality.

Especially since rock and roll wasn't a child of rebellion. It didn't just appear "out of the wild". It came from the same place that country music came from,the Protestant Churches. It was just an extension on what was already happening,fueled by electric instruments.

Anybody who doesn't believe this has never been to a "Full Gospel Church" meeting and seen those church ladies get all fired up with the Gospel and singing hymns.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 03:59:16 pm »
@goatprairie

That is just trying to ignore reality.

Especially since rock and roll wasn't a child of rebellion. It didn't just appear "out of the wild". It came from the same place that country music came from,the Protestant Churches. It was just an extension on what was already happening,fueled by electric instruments.

Anybody who doesn't believe this has never been to a "Full Gospel Church" meeting and seen those church ladies get all fired up with the Gospel and singing hymns.
I think the world could survive without a ROHOF. I know I could. I don't get too fired up either way.
I know I'll never get in....something about having to have an actual act instead just playing in front of your wife or family.   ***guitar man****
 Nevertheless, I don't know if I'd ever want to be inducted by any organization that would have someone like me as an honoree.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 05:24:05 pm »
Opinions are like backsides, everyone has one and they usually stink. That being said, I have a hard time taking a list that considers Stevie Nicks the least qualified inductee seriously when she seemed to be on half the records that were released in the late 1970s and early 1980s. "Gold" by John Stewart featuring Stevie Nicks. "Whenever I Call You 'Friend'" by Kenny Loggins featuring Stevie Nicks. "Leather and Lace" by Don Henley featuring Stevie Nicks. And so on.

What the RRHOF has is an identity crisis. They call it rock and roll, but they include genera completely unrelated to it. (I note that the author lists exactly zero hip hop acts as undeserving.) The author includes several doo-wop groups, which has little to do with rock and roll other than that they both had their genesis in the 1950s. But then again, that's a big problem. Rock and roll, despite  artists like Chuck Berry and Ike Turner being some of its earliest practitioners, has been dominated by white men pretty much since Jimi Hendrix died, and to an extent even before that. Anyone in this sort of academia knows full well that there is constant pressure to recognize more women and people of color in anything.

And some of it is perfectly fine. I was thrilled to see Rosetta Tharpe inducted recently. The great blues artists like B.B. King totally deserve to be there. But eventually one has to ask whether the RRHOF is a rock and roll hall of fame or a popular music hall of fame.

Besides, as far as I'm concerned, it's long overdue for the RRHOF to start looking at acts like The Monkees and The Osmond Brothers.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 05:33:44 pm »

But eventually one has to ask whether the RRHOF is a rock and roll hall of fame or a popular music hall of fame.

@jmyrlefuller

It is neither. It is a tourist trap that panders to a paying audience.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 05:43:03 pm »
Opinions are like backsides, everyone has one and they usually stink. That being said, I have a hard time taking a list that considers Stevie Nicks the least qualified inductee seriously when she seemed to be on half the records that were released in the late 1970s and early 1980s. "Gold" by John Stewart featuring Stevie Nicks. "Whenever I Call You 'Friend'" by Kenny Loggins featuring Stevie Nicks. "Leather and Lace" by Don Henley featuring Stevie Nicks. And so on.

What the RRHOF has is an identity crisis. They call it rock and roll, but they include genera completely unrelated to it. (I note that the author lists exactly zero hip hop acts as undeserving.) The author includes several doo-wop groups, which has little to do with rock and roll other than that they both had their genesis in the 1950s. But then again, that's a big problem. Rock and roll, despite  artists like Chuck Berry and Ike Turner being some of its earliest practitioners, has been dominated by white men pretty much since Jimi Hendrix died, and to an extent even before that. Anyone in this sort of academia knows full well that there is constant pressure to recognize more women and people of color in anything.

And some of it is perfectly fine. I was thrilled to see Rosetta Tharpe inducted recently. The great blues artists like B.B. King totally deserve to be there. But eventually one has to ask whether the RRHOF is a rock and roll hall of fame or a popular music hall of fame.

Besides, as far as I'm concerned, it's long overdue for the RRHOF to start looking at acts like The Monkees and The Osmond Brothers.
"But eventually one has to ask whether the RRHOF is a rock and roll hall of fame or a popular music hall of fame."

:thumbsup:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 07:10:38 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

It is neither. It is a tourist trap that panders to a paying audience.

@sneakypete
Have you ever visited the HOF?  I've been there twice.  First time it was so packed with people I couldn't see anything.  It was a weekend plus the Cavaliers were in town, so I guess every basketball fan and his brother came for the game plus to see the sights like the HOF.  Second time I went was much different.  It was a weekday in July, nothing else going on, so my friend and I almost had the place to ourselves.  Anyway, the exhibits were quite good.  Some rather good memorabilia -- guitars of course, costumes, original drafts of songs, setlists and such.  I thought it was very interesting.

I do think some inductees and nominees don't belong there.  Yes, there is some correlation between rock and gospel, so I'm ok with racially integrating the Hall.  But rap artists like Notorious B.I.G.?  Definitely belongs in the rap Hall of Fame, if there is one.  But not rock.

Oh and I agree it's a travesty Link Wray isn't in the Hall.  Who do we bribe to get him in there?

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 07:36:21 pm »
@sneakypete
Have you ever visited the HOF?  I've been there twice.  First time it was so packed with people I couldn't see anything.  It was a weekend plus the Cavaliers were in town, so I guess every basketball fan and his brother came for the game plus to see the sights like the HOF.  Second time I went was much different.  It was a weekday in July, nothing else going on, so my friend and I almost had the place to ourselves.  Anyway, the exhibits were quite good.  Some rather good memorabilia -- guitars of course, costumes, original drafts of songs, setlists and such.  I thought it was very interesting.

I do think some inductees and nominees don't belong there.  Yes, there is some correlation between rock and gospel, so I'm ok with racially integrating the Hall.  But rap artists like Notorious B.I.G.?  Definitely belongs in the rap Hall of Fame, if there is one.  But not rock.

Oh and I agree it's a travesty Link Wray isn't in the Hall.  Who do we bribe to get him in there?
I don't know if there's a cutoff age between older and younger generations as to whom regards rap as legitimate r and r, but I will say I think rap is complete garbage. But I'll turn 70 shortly, so I suppose I'm an old fogey.
But I can believe many people who grew of age around the early 80s when rap became popular would disagree. They probably conflate the idioms and would probably act surprised that older r and r fans wouldn't consider rap as being legitimately worthy of being consider r and r.
I have a stepdaughter nearing forty who loves both old rock and roll and rap. She also loves Judy Garland, so there's no accounting for taste.
You'd have to put a gun to my head to make go to a rap concert.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:37:27 pm by goatprairie »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 07:46:25 pm »
@sneakypete
Have you ever visited the HOF?   

@Applewood

No. For one thing it is in Cleveland and I think my passport expired.

I MIGHT be willing to go if it were closer,but probably not. I do like museums,and it just doesn't seem to be anything I would enjoy.

The telling thing is I must have written about my outrage over Link Wray being ignored a dozen times on different boards,and I have yet to have anyone not agree with me. Some people had never heard of him and needed a song title so they could look him up,but one listen to "Goodtime Joe" turned them into rabid Link Wray fans.

I will never understand why that album has never been released on CD. Not a single bad track on the whole album. I wore out two of them,and the last LP I bought was new,but it came from Germany and cost me 75 bucks maybe 15 years ago. I no longer party like I used to,so albums seem to last longer these days.

Offline berdie

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 08:24:41 pm »

I no longer party like I used to,so albums seem to last longer these days.

That is the truth!

I saw that Todd Rundgren was once again included and I hope he makes it. I went to see Todd a number of years ago with family. He did the WHOLE show. Lights, sound and music. It was very impressive from a musicians standpoint. I must confess that I only like Todd's early, pop work. But he's pretty impressive. I've read he's bigger in Europe...may be a better place for him. (in today's time)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 05:11:50 pm »
I think the author has a classic rock bend,  King Crimson for ELO, Jethro Tull for Chicago.   Well, I can't agree with that but I don't take much issue with the author for writing up the scenarios actually, it's just sort of daydreaming.  Chicago was really big in the day, I'm surprised they and ELO were not in there long before.  King Crimson is very artsy, really, they've come into their own more in recent years, I'd say.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 05:17:38 pm »
If they don't have one single hit on the charts, I don't see how they deserve to be in.
That would eliminate a lot of worthies who didn't aim for the singles market but concentrated on albums.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 05:18:28 pm »
The Monkees, yes.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.