Author Topic: Father of Sandy Hook victim awarded $450,000 in defamation lawsuit against conspiracy theorists  (Read 326 times)

Offline thackney

Father of Sandy Hook victim awarded $450,000 in defamation lawsuit against conspiracy theorists
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-sandy-hook-defamation-lawsuit-20191016-mgjitkfltnfhlnyd7eizyw3tn4-story.html
OCT 16, 2019

A father whose son was one of 26 victims in 2012′s Sandy Hook mass shooting has been awarded $450,000 in a defamation lawsuit he filed against writers who claimed the horrific elementary school massacre never took place.

On Tuesday, a jury in Dane County, Wis. decided James Fetzer — who coauthored the book, “Nobody Died at Sandy Hook” — would have to pay nearly half a million dollars to Leonard Pozner, according to the Associated Press.

In the 2015 book, which has since been pulled from shelves, Fetzer and coauthor Mike Palacek, claim that Pozner fabricated copies of the death certificate of his 6-year-old son Noah, who was killed in the Dec. 14 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

A judge ruled earlier this year that Pozner was defamed by four false statements concerning Noah’s death certificate, according to the Wisconsin State Journal....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
GoodAlex Jones was completely malicious, with no regard  for truth or the lives of innocent people.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

Alex Jones was completely malicious, with no regard  for truth or the lives of innocent people.

I'm hoping Jones will be the next one to lose big.   Maybe these conspiracy crackpots will realize they can't spread their karp around and then hide behind free speech protections when their words cause major harm to others.   Hitting them hard in the wallet might drive home that point.

Offline berdie

If my child had been killed in such a heinous way and some yahoo ginned up a stupid theory to increase their own viewership....$450,000 wouldn't be enough.

Offline Applewood

If my child had been killed in such a heinous way and some yahoo ginned up a stupid theory to increase their own viewership....$450,000 wouldn't be enough.

The major problem with the ridiculous theories nuts like Fetzer, Alex Jones and others have spread about Sandy Hook is that these theories were and are believed by other loonies, who then proceeded to hunt down the parents of these dead children and harass them.  Bad enough to lose your child in such an horrific slaughter, but then to have stupid people come up to you, accuse you of conspiring with the government to create a "false flag operation" at the school and then demand  to know where your child really is?  I can't even imagine the pain this nonsense has caused these parents.  People like Fetzer and Jones may not have specifically told these crackpots to harass the families, but their words certainly incited this madness and these men are indeed responsible for the consequences.

Offline berdie

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The major problem with the ridiculous theories nuts like Fetzer, Alex Jones and others have spread about Sandy Hook is that these theories were and are believed by other loonies, who then proceeded to hunt down the parents of these dead children and harass them.  Bad enough to lose your child in such an horrific slaughter, but then to have stupid people come up to you, accuse you of conspiring with the government to create a "false flag operation" at the school and then demand  to know where your child really is?  I can't even imagine the pain this nonsense has caused these parents.  People like Fetzer and Jones may not have specifically told these crackpots to harass the families, but their words certainly incited this madness and these men are indeed responsible for the consequences.
Exactly.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis