Author Topic: Elijah Cummings dead at 68  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Elijah Cummings dead at 68
« on: October 17, 2019, 12:06:21 pm »
Fox News 10/17/2019

Rep. Elijah Cummings, the powerful House Democrat who represented Baltimore for more than two decades and was a vocal critic of President Trump, died early Thursday after battling health problems, his office said in a statement.

Cummings, who was 68, died at Gilchrist Hospice Care, a Johns Hopkins affiliate. As chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, he was one of the most powerful Democrats in Washington, and played a key role in the House Democrats' ongoing efforts to impeach Trump.

His office said in a brief statement that he died "due to complications concerning longstanding health challenges." Cummings had been in ill health the past few years, navigating the Capitol in a motorized cart and using a walker.

More: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-elijah-e-cummings-dead-at-68

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Elijah Cummings dead at 68
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 01:02:27 pm »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:24:06 pm by mystery-ak »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 01:25:12 pm »
Elijah Cummings, Democratic chairman and powerful Trump critic, dies at 68
By Scott Wong - 10/17/19 05:34 AM EDT

Longtime Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), the son of a sharecropper who rose to become chairman of the powerful House Oversight Committee, has died at the age of 68, his office said in a statement early Thursday.

Cummings died at 2:30 a.m. at Gilchrist Hospice Care, a Johns Hopkins affiliate, “due to complications concerning longstanding health challenges,” according to his office.

In the past year, Cummings relied on the use of a walker and motorized scooter to get around even as he continued at a frenetic pace in the Capitol, leading televised committee hearings and giving interviews to reporters.

The Baltimore Sun noted, however, that Cummings had not participated in a roll call vote in the past month, adding that his office said recently he had undergone a medical procedure.

MORE
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/466219-rep-elijah-cummings-dies-at-age-68
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 01:29:03 pm »
He looked and acted a lot older than 68.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 01:31:25 pm »
@mystery-ak

Not long ago, I read about his life.  He was highly intelligent.  I shed tears about this as it was a shock to turn on TV and hear this.  It was so sudden.  Yes, he is a Democrat but more than that, as one of seven children, he pursued education and accomplished so much.  From Wikipedia (consider the rest in quotes):

Cummings was born on January 18, 1951 in Baltimore, the son of Ruth Elma (née Cochran) and Robert Cummings.[2] His parents were sharecroppers.[3] He was the third child of seven. Cummings graduated with honors from the Baltimore City College high school in 1969.[4][5]

He later attended Howard University in Washington, D.C.,[5] where he served in the student government as sophomore class president, student government treasurer and later student government president. He became a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society[6] and graduated in 1973 with a Bachelor's degree in Political Science.[5][7]

Cummings graduated from law school at the University of Maryland School of Law, receiving his J.D. in 1976, and was admitted to the Maryland Bar later that year.[8] He practiced law for 19 years before first being elected to the House in the 1996 elections.[9]

Cummings received 12 honorary doctoral degrees from universities across America, most recently an honorary doctorate of public service from the University of Maryland, College Park in 2017.[10][11]

For 14 years, Cummings served in the Maryland House of Delegates. His predecessor, Lena King Lee, raised funds and campaigned for him; years later, Cummings credited her with launching his political career.[12][13] In the Maryland General Assembly, he served as Chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland and was the first African American in Maryland history to be named Speaker Pro Tempore,[14] the second highest position in the House of Delegates.

Cummings also served on several boards and commissions, both in and out of Baltimore. Those include SEED Schools of Maryland Board of Directors and the University of Maryland Law School Board of Advisors.[15] He served on numerous Maryland boards and commissions including the Board of Visitors to the United States Naval Academy and the Elijah Cummings Youth Program in Israel. He was an honorary member of the Baltimore Zoo Board of Trustees.[16]

In addition to his many speaking engagements, he wrote a biweekly column for the Baltimore Afro-American newspaper.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 01:58:41 pm »
 888mouth
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline verga

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 01:59:30 pm »
Tjhey left out the part about him being one of the most corrupt men to "grace" the halls of Congress.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 02:05:26 pm »
He and his wife were and are utterly corrupt. Nevertheless, I'll refrain, as Dr. Gorka said on Twitter:
Sebastian Gorka DrG  @SebGorka
Cummings is dead.
I’m tempted. But I won’t.
That’s what they do.

8:17 AM · Oct 17, 2019

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 02:14:06 pm »
They left out the part about him being one of the most corrupt men to "grace" the halls of Congress.

Yeah, I noticed that. His wife is corrupt as well. I never knew he was using a motorized cart and a walker and was in such poor health he was in hospice. Our rulers and their pals in the media keep those things from the voters.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 02:14:59 pm »
888mouth

The papers are full of him: “A highly respected political leader...”

I think that there might be a few contrary opinions about that, like maybe mine:  888mouth

Cummings death however, does make one stop and think. Cummings was 68 and looked 80. I’m 68 and train 2 hours a day in boxing and dance, and cannot even glimpse the coming of my own event horizon.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 02:24:41 pm »
At least today, with all adulatory coverage of this crook, the fake impeachment story won't get as much airtime.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 02:47:18 pm »
Alrighty then. How 'bout them Nats?
The Republic is lost.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 02:58:28 pm »
At least today, with all adulatory coverage of this crook, the fake impeachment story won't get as much airtime.

No respite today. Democrats will be holding a televised prayer vigil later today to pray for Elijah Cummings to hold impeachment hearings in the next life. Yeah, they hope Elijah will hold Trump’s feet to the fire.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 03:46:35 pm »
Hmmm..... let's see ... well, he was an honorary member of the Baltimore Zoo Board of Trustees!   :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 04:18:10 pm »
Hmmm..... let's see ... well, he was an honorary member of the Baltimore Zoo Board of Trustees!   :shrug:
We know where the dems will find his successor,  then.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 04:31:26 pm »

Offline skeeter

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 04:40:11 pm »
There's already at least one MSM member from PBS thats pissed that Trump is being gracious today in regards to Cummings death.

*****rollingeyes*****
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 07:49:50 pm »
I don't think I've disliked a politician any more than how much I disliked Ted Kennedy. And that was a lot.
But when he died, I didn't say much about him.
I really didn't give much thought to Cummings on a day to day basis or even a week to week or month to month basis. He was simply another Dem pol who I thought worked against the best interests of the country.
So I'll let it go at that.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 09:40:49 pm »
We know where the dems will find his successor,  then.

Please tell me you're not implying that he's been grooming his successor?

His name was familiar to me but he was never really on my radar. My impression was that he was given a party leadership position for reasons that had nothing to do with merit, but I could be completely wrong. In any case, there must be at least 400 Congresspeople who could die tomorrow without my noticing so maybe I'm just a bad person...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 10:02:53 pm »
Alrighty then. How 'bout them Nats?

I'm glad they're doing well.  I get a chance to see the Diamondbacks' best players in the playoffs, since we were smart enough to trade them all away.  Gawd, I was hating having a winning team.  Their play this year literally saved me hours of time wasted watching them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 10:10:33 pm »
Please tell me you're not implying that he's been grooming his successor?
I'm implying they could find a worthy successor at the zoo.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 10:13:04 pm »
Merged two threads

Offline mrclose

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 12:09:57 am »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline mrclose

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 12:38:09 am »
Can't confirm this but It Is from Yahoo!

Elijah Cummings 'signed subpoenas from his hospital bed' for Trump impeachment before his death

https://news.yahoo.com/elijah-cummings-signed-subpoenas-hospital-162443444.html
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self