Author Topic: Trump backfire: Americans increasingly embrace 'nation of immigrants' history and future  (Read 308 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/10/11/harsh-trump-policies-backfire-americans-support-immigration-column/3919502002/

Immigration a 2018 loser for Trump

Pew asked whether immigrants “strengthen our country because of their hard work and talents” or “are a burden on our country because they take our jobs, housing and health care.” The proportion embracing immigration jumped from 53% in 2015 to 62% this year.

Trump sent troops to the border, warned of an America exposed without a wall and ran ads showing illegal immigrants who murdered innocent Americans, and yes, he made immigration the most important reason to vote against the Democrats in the off-year elections. His party lost the House in a 53%-45% landslide last year and has lost the battle of public opinion on immigration by much more than that.

In 2019, Trump escalated his battle against immigration by separating children from their parents, creating camps for the pent-up migrants in the United States and Mexico, and ending America’s historic identity as a country that will accept refugees.

What happened? In one of the most stunning results in our surveys, the proportion responding warmly to the term “immigrants to the U.S.” went up from 52% in January 2019, to 59% in July, to 67% in September. 67%.

more at link...

Thanx "uniter" President Trump.   

More at link

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Trolling again I see. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline aligncare

Trump is on his way to bringing in a larger chunk of Hispanics, Blacks, women (maybe), and of course, the Dutch, than any republican in a long time.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Trump is on his way to bringing in a larger chunk of Hispanics, Blacks, women (maybe), and of course, the Dutch, than any republican in a long time.

The Irish are left out again?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Trolling again I see.

When did he stop? Other than for a month or so recently after he got his @$$ handed to him for the umpteenth time.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

The Irish are left out again?

Trump’s got his standards you know. No Irish!

Trolling again I see.
In a time when the President of the United States asks China and Ukraine to dig up dirt on Biden's son on live television...what does "trolling" even mean?  Clearly we own different dictionaries Gus.

Offline Wingnut

In a time when the President of the United States asks China and Ukraine to dig up dirt on Biden's son on live television...what does "trolling" even mean?  Clearly we own different dictionaries Gus.

You are a guy who lives in wisconson, a sportsman's paradise...and you  don't know how to troll?   

Pathetic!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
You are a guy who lives in wisconson, a sportsman's paradise...and you  don't know how to troll?   

Pathetic!

He knows.  In fact, he's a professional at it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

He knows.  In fact, he's a professional at it.

He was pulling my leg.  I think!   LOL

Pathetic!

I don't know what are you looking for here.  I don't know why you are calling me pathetic.  I can only imagine you would choose to insult a person you think is pathetic, to feel better about yourself.  I think you are telling yourself jokes to amuse yourself, but I'm uninspired to figure out what your real purpose is in reaching out to me with a vaguely worded condemnation.

This has been a terrible day for Trump supporters, and I am genuinely empathetic, and even a little sympathetic.  I think I've been where you are.  So let me assure you, I actually get a little flaccid when I think about how you, and so many patriotic Americans will feel when this saga ends.

Hang in their buddy.