Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: TURKEY ATTACKS US SPECIAL FORCES IN SYRIA, APPARENTLY BY MISTAKE  (Read 1419 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
A contingent of U.S. Special Forces was caught up in Turkish shelling against U.S.-backed Kurdish positions in northern Syria, days after President Donald Trump told his Turkish counterpart he would withdraw U.S. troops from certain positions in the area. A senior Pentagon official said shelling by the Turkish forces was so heavy that the U.S. personnel considered firing back in self-defense.

Newsweek has learned through both an Iraqi Kurdish intelligence official and the senior Pentagon official that Special Forces operating on Mashtenour hill in the majority-Kurdish city of Kobani fell under artillery fire from Turkish forces conducting their so-called "Operation Peace Spring" against Kurdish fighters backed by the U.S. but considered terrorist organizations by Turkey. No injuries have been reported.

Instead of returning fire, the Special Forces withdrew once the shelling had ceased. Newsweek previously reported Wednesday that the current rules of engagement for U.S. forces continue to be centered around self-defense and that no order has been issued by the Pentagon for a complete withdrawal from Syria.

The Pentagon official said that Turkish forces should be aware of U.S. positions "down to the grid." The official could not specify the exact number of personnel present, but indicated they were "small numbers below company level," so somewhere between 15 and 100 troops. Newsweek has reached out to the Pentagon for comment on the situation.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-troops-syria-turkey-1464727
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Mistake my ass.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Mistake my ass.

Kick Turkey out of NATO. Where are those NATO allies? I heard Wilkow today say that maybe Canada could take over and give the US a break.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Kick Turkey out of NATO. Where are those NATO allies? I heard Wilkow today say that maybe Canada could take over and give the US a break.

You can't.  There are no provisions in the NATO charter for kicking out a member nation.

The best anyone could hope to do is marginalize them in a way they announce they are leaving.

But they can't be kicked out.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
You can't.  There are no provisions in the NATO charter for kicking out a member nation.

The best anyone could hope to do is marginalize them in a way they announce they are leaving.

That's a crying shame.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
That's a crying shame.

I looked it up yesterday.  Because if there was ever a time to give them the boot it would be now.

I was shocked to find out they can't get the boot.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Turkey Mistakenly Shells U.S. Special Forces in Syria: Report
October 11, 2019, 1:02 PM PDT

U.S. special forces based in Syria have been caught in Turkish artillery fire, according to Newsweek. It remains unclear whether there were any other casualties.

The contingent of U.S. troops was operating in the Kurdish-dominated city of Kobani in northeastern Syria when they were hit by shelling from Turkey’s military, which is currently invading the region.

A senior Pentagon official confirmed the incident, saying Turkish forces should have precise knowledge of American positions.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/turkey-bombs-u-special-forces-200210098.html
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Brett McGurk
✔
@brett_mcgurk
Turkish forces have fired on a declared U.S. military outpost in northern Syria. Turkey knows all of our locations down to the precise grid coordinate as confirmed by SECDEF and CJCS only two hours ago. This was not a mistake.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Brett McGurk
✔
@brett_mcgurk
Replying to @brett_mcgurk
Hard truth: Erdogan knows that Trump wants U.S. forces to leave Syria. Putin knows that Trump wants U.S. forces to leave Syria. Khamenei and Assad know the same thing. Trump himself yesterday (incredibly) said we no longer have forces in Syria. We do, and today they were shot at.

Brett McGurk
✔
@brett_mcgurk
It is dangerous to keep Americans in harm’s way with no support or backing from their commander-in-chief. Marie Yovanovoch spoke to this principle for diplomats confronting the Russians in Ukraine. The same goes for our brave soldiers and diplomats on the ground tonight in Syria.

Brett McGurk
✔
@brett_mcgurk
It is equally wrong and immoral to make any false promises to the SDF and suggest that Trump is committed to staying in Syria when everyone knows that he is not. These false promises delayed, and may now have foreclosed, what was an alternative arrangement for them with others.

Brett McGurk
✔
@brett_mcgurk
And with each day this Turkish attack continues, the risks increase for American personnel and our ability to get out safely at all becomes gravely jeopardized. Either Trump changes course rapidly and clearly (ASAP) or else it is necessary to plan a safe exit.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

It's easy to find our allies.  They're always there when they need us.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Are there provisions for when we return fire?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Are there provisions for when we return fire?

Not sure.  I know that NATO nations have gone to war against each other...Turkey (surprise) and Greece did on Cyprus.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Ragıp Soylu
@ragipsoylu
·
15h
Turkish security source is really angry. “Of course we don’t target US bases. This is YPG’s dirty game. They want us to hit a US base by mistake” the source tells me

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1182747313913118727

Anthony Capaccio
@ACapaccio
U.S. official on reports of Turkish attack on SOF in Syria: ``We don't know if it's Turkish fire. We don't know if it's Kurdish fire. We just want to make sure we don't have a lot of errant information out there saying U.S. Service members were attacked. That's not accurate''

https://twitter.com/ACapaccio/status/1182758816217210880
Mete SohtaoÄŸlu
@metesohtaoglu
Replying to
@ACapaccio
📸

https://twitter.com/metesohtaoglu/status/1182763380416929793

Looks like there is some distrust in the Newsweek article.   

No reason to feed into hysteria.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 11:28:38 am by TomSea »

Offline jpsb

Mistake my ass.

Turkey has no reason to attack US forces so I can believe it was a mistake. If no one was hurt it could not have been much of a shelling.
I was a forward observer and I know what a well placed 155 salvo can do. Sounds to me like no one gave the "fire for effect" order.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Not sure.  I know that NATO nations have gone to war against each other...Turkey (surprise) and Greece did on Cyprus.

When Turkey invaded Cyprus in 1974, I was in Navy electronics school at Great Lakes. We had both Turkey and Greece military members on the base with us.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
When Turkey invaded Cyprus in 1974, I was in Navy electronics school at Great Lakes. We had both Turkey and Greece military members on the base with us.

That must have made for a little bit of tension.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Mistake my ass.

This is bullshit in its purest form and it greatly diminishes the veracity of this and your previous arguments.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Mistake my ass.

@txradioguy

Agreed. They were sending them a message. MY best guess is if they try this again they will get an answer they may not like.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Turkey has no reason to attack US forces so I can believe it was a mistake. If no one was hurt it could not have been much of a shelling.
I was a forward observer and I know what a well placed 155 salvo can do. Sounds to me like no one gave the "fire for effect" order.

@jpsb

IMNSHO,the Turks were sending a message to let us know what will happen to our troops if we try to interfere with the atrocities they have planned.

It is also MY opinion that "subtle" messages of this type need to be answer in less than subtle ways,like leaving smoking craters where Turkish troops used to be.

One universal law of nature is "If you don't want to get bitten,don't be poking at the dog." You can believe that is a message they will understand.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:53:43 pm by sneakypete »

Offline jpsb

@jpsb

IMNSHO,the Turks were sending a message to let us know what will happen to our troops if we try to interfere with the atrocities they have planned.

It is also MY opinion that "subtle" messages of this type need to be answer in less than subtle ways,like leaving smoking craters where Turkish troops used to be.

One universal law of nature is "If you don't want to get bitten,don't be poking at the dog." You can believe that is a message they will understand.

It true then the Turks have never seen an A10 in action protected by F-35's with F-22's flying high CAP nor have they seen what few B-52's can do.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@jpsb

Erdogan is testing Trump to see just how much he can get away with @sneekypete and it looks to be quite a lot.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Erdogan is testing Trump to see just how much he can get away with @sneekypete and it looks to be quite a lot.

@Bigun

He knows that Trump doesn't want US troops caught up in the middle of a European ethnic and religious war,but he still doesn't seem to understand that the USAF is not the US Army. There IS a difference between "boots on the ground" and "Missiles and bombs on the ground",and it's starting to look like he might learn all about this soon.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy

Agreed. They were sending them a message. MY best guess is if they try this again they will get an answer they may not like.

That answer should have come in the way of some kind of immediate counter battery fire.  The sound of silence that Turkey got is the only answer from us they are gonna get unfortunately.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@txradioguy

Well, my guess is Turkey is already feeling the response from this 'accidental' attack. We are just not hearing about it. There is no way they are simply going to let this go. If Turkey had to pick any group in that area to piss off, American SF would be the very worst choice. Erdogan's arrogance with Trump's acquiescence is causing him to make reckless decisions. SF can easily 'accidentally' pick off a few Turkish squads, and the Turks would never even know what happened.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Dan Crenshaw
@DanCrenshawTX
·
1h

Situation when we were there: relative peace.

We leave:
-Turkey attacks our Kurdish allies -shoots artillery at US troops
-bombs a prison where ISIS fighters already escaped.
-ISIS car bomb in Qamishli.

That’s just day one.

Which scenario looks more like an endless war?