Author Topic: Turning Off Hard Disk  (Read 1086 times)

Offline mrclose

Turning Off Hard Disk
« on: October 06, 2019, 12:45:29 am »
If I set my power options to:
Turn off Hard Disk
(after x amount of minutes)

Turn off Moniter
(also after so many minutes)

What is the difference between that and setting the pc to sleep mode?

I ask because a number of times, coming out of sleep ... it doesn't!

The HD will click and then nothing!
Takes a hard shutdown and reboot to get running again!

Believe me, I've done every work-a-round, (for the last six months) and tried every suggestion in trying to fix this headache and nothing has worked!

Searching, this appears to be a problem with Windows 10 that a lot of folks have been having.
Some have solved the problem while others have not.

Seems that no one solution is a fix for everyone.

I've disabled hybrid and hibernate using only sleep.
Re-enabled hibernate with sleep disabled ... but the problem still exists!

And yes, I've run every chk disk and troubleshooter that I can find and ... nothing!

I can turn off the hard drive individually.
(Even after I disable sleep and hybrid!)

(Shown in capture below)

These are individual settings after I've disabled sleep and hybrid

So what is the difference in doing this individually instead of using sleep mode ... if any?

I figure that allowing the disk to go into idle and having the monitor shut down is the only step that I have left?

My concern is .. I don't want to shut down the pc every time I have something else that I need to do but ... I also don't want to risk something like a cooling fan going bad and my hard disk burning up when I'm not around!

Thanks in advance everyone!!

This is a snapshot of my system ...
Windows 10, version 1903 and Windows Server, version 1903

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:13:20 am by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline DB

Re: Turning Off Hard Disk
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 01:10:17 am »
If you have an SSD drive there's no reason to ever have it power down the hard drive (it has no moving parts).

I never allow my PC to go to sleep. I only allow the monitor to go off after being idle for more than 20 minutes.

Sleep mode has never been reliable from the beginning of Windows. And I'm unwilling to gamble with my application data to see if it will wake up again.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 01:14:13 am »
If you have an SSD drive there's no reason to ever have it power down the hard drive (it has no moving parts).

I never allow my PC to go to sleep. I only allow the monitor to go off after being idle for more than 20 minutes.

Sleep mode has never been reliable from the beginning of Windows. And I'm unwilling to gamble with my application data to see if it will wake up again.

No solid state.

Just the regular ole HD.
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 01:51:42 am »

That's right. Either it works or it don't.

@mrclose , There are a few things you can try... Foremost, make sure you are on the newest bios for your motherboard, or machine... and secondly, after that, download the newest drivers for the chipset on the MB directly from Intel or AMD - Often the computer manufacturer is behind on updating their site...

After that, there is a complicated process to determine if running software or peripherals are effecting sleep - Determining what they are in startup or drivers, and disabling one at a time to see which one(s) is/are the problem... Which may yield fruit, but really, probably not. Some machines simply are not sleep compliant.

As a general rule, machines are more likely to be able to hibernate effectively than sleep, but it seems someone already had you try that...  :shrug:

Like @DB , with the exception of my media machines and laptops, I just let them run, and shut them off when I go to sleep at night (other than the servers which run 24/7)... I specifically look for machines that have no problem sleeping for media purposes, and as a rule all laptops sleep well, as a matter of their portable function (although I have owned a couple that didn't).

However, I have had very good luck with high end HPs. All of my desks are currently capable of sleep - I just don't use it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:55:47 am by roamer_1 »