Author Topic: Nancy Pelosi: No Vote on Impeachment Inquiry; Rejects Precedent, Rules  (Read 869 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Nancy Pelosi: No Vote on Impeachment Inquiry; Rejects Precedent, Rules
Breitbart, Oct 3, 2019

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) rejected a request by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) on Thursday that the full House vote on whether to authorize an impeachment inquiry, in keeping with precedent.

On Thursday morning, McCarthy wrote to Pelosi to ask whether she intended to comply with the precedent set in three previous presidential impeachment inquiries (Andrew Johnson, Richard Nixon, and Bill Clinton) of having the full House vote to authorize an investigation.

McCarthy also asked whether Pelosi would comply with precedent by letting the minority have equal power to subpoena witnesses, allowing the president’s counsel to cross-examine them, and having the House Judiciary Committee lead the investigation (as required under existing House rules).

Pelosi responded that there was “no requirement under the Constitution, under House Rules, or House precedent that the whole House vote before preceding with an impeachment inquiry.”

Pelosi did not respond to any of McCarthy’s requests that she adhere to precedent on other points, including rights for the congressional minority.

More:  https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/10/03/nancy-pelosi-no-vote-on-impeachment-inquiry-rejects-precedent-rules/

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:10:28 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Re: Nancy Pelosi: No Vote on Impeachment Inquiry; Rejects Precedent, Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 02:14:08 am »
Pelosi did not respond to any of McCarthy’s requests that she adhere to precedent on other points, including rights for the congressional minority.

This is simply stunning.  Republicans, as the minority, do not have equal power to subpoena witnesses, allowing the president’s counsel to cross-examine them, and having the House Judiciary Committee lead the investigation (as required under existing House rules).

If the House voted on an impeachment inquiry, the congressional minority would have subpoena power and the right to cross-examine them. 

She's not even trying to hide what she's really doing.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 02:15:44 am »

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 02:26:20 am »
McCarthy wrote one helluva a letter ....

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 12:12:19 pm »
TTTT

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 12:22:16 pm »
A kangaroo court.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 12:26:56 pm »
Pelosi faces serious legal challenges to 'casual' impeachment inquiry
Washington Times, Oct 3, 2019

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s declaration of an impeachment inquiry is barely a week old, and it’s already running into serious challenges on the legal front.

A top Republican told a federal judge Thursday that Mrs. Pelosi’s move is only words and carries no real weight. It can’t, for example, unlock secret grand jury information, said Rep. Doug Collins of Georgia, the ranking Republican on the House Judiciary Committee.

Worse yet, said House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, Mrs. Pelosi has yet to lay out any of the ground rules for impeachment.

The California Republican said until Democrats come up with a plan for calling witnesses, allowing access to evidence and giving President Trump’s attorneys the ability to be part of the proceedings, there can’t be a fair impeachment inquiry.

Congress‘ own legal team at the Congressional Research Service said Mrs. Pelosi is trodding new ground in pursuing an impeachment without getting the entire House on record and laying out clear rules of the road.

“If the House takes no new action on authorizing the investigation, the speaker’s statement that the House is launching an ‘official impeachment inquiry’ is unlikely to put to rest the debate,” CRS analysts said in a legal memo this week.

More:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/oct/3/nancy-pelosi-impeachment-inquiry-faces-legal-chall/

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 02:33:03 pm »
If Mrs. Botox had the votes, she would shout it from the rooftops. I think she's shown the egregious dishonesty of the democommies. She's taking all the oxygen from the 2020 can't-idates.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 02:37:36 pm »
If Mrs. Botox had the votes, she would shout it from the rooftops. I think she's shown the egregious dishonesty of the democommies. She's taking all the oxygen from the 2020 can't-idates.

She has the votes @austingirl but isn't about to open up the can of worms a FORMAL impeachment inquiry would open.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 02:43:53 pm »
She has the votes @austingirl but isn't about to open up the can of worms a FORMAL impeachment inquiry would open.

Americans need to just assume every rat in the House would vote for impeachment in lock step and vote accordingly next year.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 02:45:08 pm »
Nancy’s gone rogue.

Yes she could try to maintain the façade of an “impeachment inquiry” and stir up a lot of dirt but stop short of a referral. But, in the end it will all come crashing down.

I have faith because this thing is too big to be swept under the rug—referring to the 2016 coup attempt. But, American voters are watching closely and everyone knows something wrong happened in that election, and they are going to want answers.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 02:52:59 pm »
Nancy’s gone rogue.

Yes she could try to maintain the façade of an “impeachment inquiry” and stir up a lot of dirt but stop short of a referral. But, in the end it will all come crashing down.

I have faith because this thing is too big to be swept under the rug—referring to the 2016 coup attempt. But, American voters are watching closely and everyone knows something wrong happened in that election, and they are going to want answers.

She's just protecting her family Sal!

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1179893713214025729.html?fbclid=IwAR2z0gV1HFkmseQGkwbgopLOWohAQverbpFz7JW6Av6b13cOXJ2M45Q5a8E

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 03:25:15 pm »
She's just protecting her family Sal!

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1179893713214025729.html?fbclid=IwAR2z0gV1HFkmseQGkwbgopLOWohAQverbpFz7JW6Av6b13cOXJ2M45Q5a8E

Yes, it’s a challenge to change the culture of graft in Washington.

But that’s why Donald Trump, the imperfect warrior, has my loyalty and respect for his unquestionable patriotism and grit, and for his tenacity in trying to make his vision of an America greater than Obama’s America a reality.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 03:25:19 pm »
Americans need to just assume every rat in the House would vote for impeachment in lock step and vote accordingly next year.

:yowsa:  :amen:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 03:26:50 pm »

But that’s why Donald Trump, the imperfect warrior, has my loyalty and respect for his unquestionable patriotism and grit, and for his tenacity in trying to make his vision of an America greater than Obama’s America a reality.

And although I was much slower than some, I have come to realize the truth of that.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline xyno

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 03:30:19 pm »
And although I was much slower than some, I have come to realize the truth of that.

Me too.  Yes, me too. 

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 03:39:30 pm »

I just used that very word "tenacity" in another thread. His rhetoric took me a LOT of getting used to. I preferred the eloquent and measured tone of Ronaldus Magnus. But Trump's rhetoric is the only way to engage the 24 hr news cycle.  @aligncare

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 03:59:02 pm »
BNL NEWS
@BreakingNLive
BREAKING: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s son Paul Pelosi Jr. visited Ukraine in 2017 to meet with government officials in connection to a business initiative and records reveal that Paul Pelosi Jr. was an executive of a gas industry company that did business in Ukraine
10:16 AM · Oct 4, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive/status/1180139755301982211

I didn't see this posted yet on Pelosi.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 04:01:19 pm »
I didn't see this posted yet on Pelosi.

Read a few posts up @TomSea i.e my response to @aligncare

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 06:40:48 pm »

888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 08:36:46 pm »
I just used that very word "tenacity" in another thread. His rhetoric took me a LOT of getting used to. I preferred the eloquent and measured tone of Ronaldus Magnus. But Trump's rhetoric is the only way to engage the 24 hr news cycle.  @aligncare

I completely agree. The blatant political maneuvering is making me mad. I know it has happened in the past....but not to this degree. The media are making me mad. 9999hair out0000

Maybe Trump will back these fools down. I will cheer for him if he does. Truthfully I'll cheer if he doesn't. It's crazy.

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2019, 04:51:50 am »

This is what Mrs. Botox doesn't want to allow --- if a vote was taken on an impeachment inquiry and passed the House she'd have to allow the minority equal power to subpoena witnesses and allow the president's counsel to cross-examine them.  Now they (we) can do neither.

She would also have to lay out the charges against the President before the vote ... and she doesn't have any that are credible.

@austingirl

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2019, 07:06:52 pm »

I completely agree. The blatant political maneuvering is making me mad. I know it has happened in the past....but not to this degree. The media are making me mad. 9999hair out0000

@berdie

WHY are so many NT's whining about how Trump is going to lose,when the Dims give us all the proof anyone should need that THEY think he is going to win,or they wouldn't be trying this desperation play.

A Trump victory flat SCARES THE HELL OUT OF THE DIMS AND THEIR RINO PALS.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2019, 07:12:03 pm »
This is what Mrs. Botox doesn't want to allow --- if a vote was taken on an impeachment inquiry and passed the House she'd have to allow the minority equal power to subpoena witnesses and allow the president's counsel to cross-examine them.  Now they (we) can do neither.

She would also have to lay out the charges against the President before the vote ... and she doesn't have any that are credible.

@austingirl

@Right_in_Virginia

Oh,she is going to try,alright. It's the only hope she has,but IF she can,she is not going to try it until right before the election so the Dims can cloud the issues enough to either discourage the unaffiliated voters from voting,or get them to vote Dim.

The Dims are not going after a early conviction because it would still leave a Republican in charge. What they want it to fix and election by using bogus charges and fear. It's really the only chance they have of saving their Dim Empire by putting another Dim in the White House.

You think Trump is out of control now,wait until he is sitting in the Oval Office,not facing another election,and wondering what he can do to get even with the people who tried to torpedo his re-election!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 07:26:10 pm »

@austingirl

IOW, it's the fishing expedition we've all been predicting, no? 

@Right_in_Virginia
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: