Author Topic: Two milestones, one rude interruption  (Read 492 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Two milestones, one rude interruption
« on: September 29, 2019, 05:20:11 pm »
Justin Verlander's 3,000th K answered with a home run by the next man up.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/09/29/two-milestones-one-rude-interruption/

Justin Verlander captured after nailing his 3,000th
strikeout Saturday night.

You thought there’d be no excitement possibility on this year’s regular season-closing weekend? Think again.

The National League Central turned out to have a surprise in store for you this weekend: the Cardinals and the Brewers entered Sunday with a chance at facing an NL Central title tiebreaker game.

A couple of less wealthy teams in the American League East and West put wild cards in the bank and got to say, Look, ma—no tanking!

And a nice guy who pitches for the Astros while standing to win this year’s American League Cy Young Award hit two milestones Saturday night—with one rude interruption to his achievements.

A nice guy who became the only member of the 3,000 strikeout club to surrender a home run to the first man up after he bagged the milestone punchout. And on the first pitch, yet. Who says Andujar’s Law (In baseball, there’s just one word: you never know—Joaquin Andujar, once an Astro himself) is ripe for repeal?

Justin Verlander, as smart on the mound as he is nice otherwise, started against the Angels Saturday night needing six strikeouts to reach 3,000. The game meant little enough by itself, other than the long-lost Angels celebrating their fan appreciation night; the Astros owned the AL West all year long and had home-field postseason advantage in the bank while they were at it.

There’d be plenty of time to get back to the business of serious competition, especially with these Astros not only winning a third straight American League West but inspiring some oddsmakers to put them at +200 for going all the way to win a second World Series in three seasons. Saturday night was a night for one man’s milestones.

With the Angels—whose season ended well out of the contention they were never really in, was punctured by unexpected tragedy, and once again proved them a team unworthy of its and baseball’s best all-around player—leading 1-0, Verlander hit his first one in the bottom of the fourth.

He got 3,000 when he threw Kole Calhoun a nasty, down-and-in slider on 2-2, Calhoun swinging and missing rather emphatically. The Angel Stadium crowd wasn’t sure for a moment what to cheer louder, Verlander nailing the milestone punchout or Calhoun reaching first when the ball went past catcher Robinson Chirinos enabling Calhoun’s reach in the first place.

The official scorer ruled a wild pitch. It could have been ruled a passed ball; Chirinos was moving to the inside as Verlander delivered and looked in solid position, mitt down, to stop the ball.

Thus only the third time in his major league life had Verlander struck a batter out to see him reach base on it. Making him the second member of the 3,000K club whose milestone punchout resulted in the batter reaching base. Hall of Famer Phil Niekro brought that one off on the Fourth of July in 1984, as a Yankee, when he led off the top of the fourth by striking out the Rangers’ Larry Parrish—only to see Parrish reach first when Knucksie’s famous knuckleball knuckled past catcher Butch Wynegar.

Verlander didn’t hold it against Chirinos. “He was like ‘Don’t worry about it’,” Chirinos said to reporters after the game. “I lost that pitch because Calhoun is so on top of the plate, so the ball was coming into him and it hit my foot and went the other way. I was laughing that it happened in the worst moment. Something to remember. Good thing he got to 3,000.”

No worries. The Angel Stadium crowd handed Verlander a loud ovation—their own team has its problems but Angel fans appreciate achievement, just as a Hall of Famer appreciates it when his own achievement is respected and appreciated on the road. He tipped his hat to the crowd and went right back to work.

“I honestly haven’t had a moment to really have it set in,” Verlander said after the game. “My teammates gave me a good speech after and everybody gave me a great hug. Hopefully this is one of those moments that we look at and it’s just one of the special moments of the season that was extremely special.”

But I’d bet only the Angel Stadium audience thought what happened next was special. Angel shortstop Andrelton Simmons checked in at the plate and hit one over the center field fence. How rude of him. It made Verlander the only member of the 3,000K club to surrender a home run to the next man up after the milestone punchout. And on the first pitch to the guy.

Verlander and the Astros had the last laugh, however. They went on to overthrow the 3-0 deficit into which Simmons’s launch put them and win, 6-3, after Jose Altuve (a two-run shot) and Josh Reddick (a three-run shot) cleared the fences in the sixth, and Altuve added an RBI double in the seventh.

And Verlander exacted a little milestone revenge against Calhoun in the bottom of the sixth. When he struck Calhoun out then, it made him plus Gerrit Cole only the second pair of teammates (Curt Schilling and Hall of Famer Randy Johnson were the other pair, for the 2001 Diamondbacks) to strike out 300+ in the same season.

Sweetening that particular pot: neither Verlander nor Cole had ever struck out 300+ batters in their careers until now. And Verlander is the second pitcher to nail his 3,000th strikeout in an Astros uniform, behind Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan, who flattened Cincinnati’s Cesar Geronimo for that milestone on the Fourth of July in 1980.

I couldn’t resist. I looked up all eighteen games that included a 3,000th strikeout and what happened with the next man up in those innings after those pitchers bagged their milestones:

Walter Johnson (Senators)—The milestone: Stan Coveleski (Indians), bottom of the sixth, 22 July 1923. The next batter: Charlie Jamieson—fly out to left.

Bob Gibson (Cardinals)—The milestone: Cesar Geronimo (Reds), top of the second, 17 July 1974. The next batter—None; Gibson retired the side with that strikeout.

Gaylord Perry (Padres)—The milestone: Joe Simpson (Dodgers), top of the eighth, 1 October 1978. The next batter: Pedro Guerrero—reached on an infield hit and took second on the throwing error.

Nolan Ryan (Astros)—The milestone: Cesar Geronimo (Reds), bottom of the second, 4 July 1980. The next batter: Junior Kennedy—walk. (Dubious co-milestone: It made Geronimo the only man to be the 3,000th strikeout victim of two pitchers.)

Tom Seaver (Reds)—The milestone: Keith Hernandez (Cardinals), top of the fourth, 18 April 1981. The next batter: None; side retired.

Steve Carlton (Phillies)—The milestone: Tim Wallach (Expos), top of the first, 29 April 1981. The next batter: None; Wallach was the third victim as Carlton opened the game striking out the side.

Ferguson Jenkins (Cubs)—The milestone: Garry Templeton (Padres), bottom of the third, 25 May 1982. The next batter: Ruppert Jones—fly out to left.

Don Sutton (Brewers)—The milestone: Alan Bannister (Indians), top of the eighth, 24 June 1983. The next batter: None; side retired.

Phil Niekro (Yankees)—The milestone: Larry Parrish (Rangers), bottom of the fourth, 4 July 1984. The next batter: Pete O’Brien—fly out to center.

Bert Blyleven (Twins)—The milestone: Mike Davis (Athletics), top of the fifth, 1 August 1986. The next batter: Mickey Tettleton—walk to load the bases.

Roger Clemens (Blue Jays)—The milestone: Randy Winn (Devil Rays), top of the third, 5 July 1998. The next batter: None; side retired.

Randy Johnson (Diamondbacks)—The milestone: Mike Lowell (Marlins), bottom of the fourth, 10 September 2000. The next batter: None; side retired.

Greg Maddux (Cubs)—The milestone: Omar Vizquel (Giants), top of the third, 26 July 2005. The next batter: None; side retired.

Curt Schilling (Red Sox)—The milestone: Nick Swisher (Athletics), bottom of the first, 30 August 2006. The next batter: Mark Kotsay—grounded out to second base. (Note: Swisher hit an RBI double off Schilling in the bottom of the fourth.)

Pedro Martinez (Mets)—The milestone: Aaron Harang (Reds), bottom of the second, 3 September 2007. The next batter: None; side retired.

John Smoltz (Braves)—The milestone: Felipe Lopez (Nationals), top of the third, 22 April 2008. The next batter: Cristian Guzman—grounded out to first unassisted for the side.

CC Sabathia (Yankees)—The milestone: John Ryan Murphy (Diamondbacks), 30 April 2019. The next batter: None; struck out the side. (Without a little trouble, though, since former Met Wilmer Flores hit one out against Sabathia with two out in the inning and Nick Ahmed singled right after, before Murphy came up.)

Thus we have eight pitchers whose 3,000th strikeouts retired the side and three whose 3000th strikeouts struck out the side. Two walked the next man up and one of the two loaded the bases with that walk. (Blyleven escaped that inning unscathed for runs.) Two got ground outs from the next batters; three got fly outs next. And two (Walter Johnson, Pedro Martinez) struck out fellow pitchers for their milestone punchouts.

Justin Verlander would probably have loved nothing better than to get rid of Andrelton Simmons immediately after he dispatched Kole Calhoun for number 3,000. I’m sure he’ll settle for being the only man to get the same guy for two milestones on one night.

The flip side, of course, is that Calhoun—a solid if not so spectacular Angel outfielder with 34 home runs on his 2019 ledger—would have loved nothing better than not being Verlander’s 300th strikeout of 2019 and 3,000th strikeout lifetime on the same night.

Joaquin Andujar, wherever you are in the Elysian Fields, call your office.
--------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 02:19:29 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Two milestones, one rude interruption
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 01:55:41 pm »
Historic ending to a great season.

So..............

Who gets the Cy Young?
Verlaner or Cole?

Been debating that in Houston for a few weeks now.
Due to the no hitter, 21 wins, 300 lifetime K's and 300 k's for the year, I'd say Verlander.
But that Cole......man, dominating!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 03:22:26 pm »
Historic ending to a great season.

So..............

Who gets the Cy Young?
Verlaner or Cole?

Been debating that in Houston for a few weeks now.
Due to the no hitter, 21 wins, 300 lifetime K's and 300 k's for the year, I'd say Verlander.
But that Cole......man, dominating!
@GrouchoTex
I had a reason for describing Justin Verlander as just "standing to win the Cy Young Award"---it's going to be a very tricky vote. Cole was that dominant this year, and the voting writers will consider that with extreme seriousness. But they also love to see a guy who delivers milestone achievements during a powerful enough season such as Verlander's had. Cole was the dominator in the American League this year; he led the league in ERA, fielding-independent pitching (essentially, your ERA when the defense behind you is removed from the equation), strikeouts, strikeouts per nine, and ERA+ (adjustment to factor all the parks you pitched in as well as your home park).

This season Verlander was Don Drysdale to Cole's Sandy Koufax. (Never mind that Verlander lifetime is far better than Drysdale really was.) Except that on three milestone occasions this season Verlander pitched like Koufax: that third career no-hitter and bagging a) his 3,000th career strike out plus b) his 300th season strikeout . . . in the same game (and against the same hitter). Cy Young voters love and hate both at once when they get both at once out of a great pitcher having a great year---it makes the award not so cut and dried. I don't see either pitcher running away with the AL Cy Young Award vote. I may be safer thinking Jacob deGrom (Mets) will win a second straight NL Cy Young Award, but he won't win it by as wide a margin as he did last year, if only because Jack Flaherty (Cardinals) had such a lights-out second half that he kicked himself right smack dab into the middle of the award discussion. (Every game I watched the last three weeks, whether or not it involved the Cardinals, had broadcasters discussing Flaherty as often as they discussed deGrom or Max Scherzer [Nationals]. He was easily the biggest and most pleasant arrival for the Cardinals this year.)

Maybe the safest award bet right now will be the National League Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Player awards: I'm guessing Pete Alonso (Mets) wins the ROY in a landslide; I'm also guessing Cody Bellinger (Dodgers) wins the MVP. And maybe the second safest may yet prove to be the American League's Most Valuable Player Award: Mike Trout's season-ending foot nerve injury and surgery in early September may not hurt him in the MVP voting; he still led the entire Show in on-base percentage and OPS+ while leading the American League in slugging, OPS, and win probability added. But if missing most of September does prove to have hurt Trout in MVP consideration, the award most likely goes to Alex Bregman (Astros) and there's nobody on the planet who should object to that.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 07:12:24 pm »
@EasyAce

But if missing most of September does prove to have hurt Trout in MVP consideration, the award most likely goes to Alex Bregman (Astros) and there's nobody on the planet who should object to that.

Nobody in this part of the planet, anyway...