Author Topic: Why Was Ukraine's Top Prosecutor Fired? The Issue At The Heart Of The Dispute Gripping Washington  (Read 129 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Why Was Ukraine's Top Prosecutor Fired? The Issue At The Heart Of The Dispute Gripping Washington

Viktor Shokin speaking during a parliamentary session in Kyiv in February 2015.

KYIV -- When Viktor Shokin was fired as Ukraine's prosecutor-general in March 2016, after less than 14 months in the post, it was seen as a crucial development in a country under pressure to curb corruption and get serious about reforms. Now Shokin’s dismissal, and Ukraine itself, are at the center of a political whirlwind in Washington that is buffeting Donald Trump's presidency and playing into the 2020 White House race.

Here is a look at the arguments, facts, and evidence in the dispute pitting Trump against former Vice President Joe Biden, a front-runner for the Democratic nomination to challenge the incumbent in the election next year.

Trump and his allies, including his personal lawyer, Rudolph Giuliani, the former mayor of New York, accuse Biden of using his position as vice president and point man on relations with Kyiv in 2016 to help Burisma -- a Ukrainian energy company that was paying Biden's son Hunter, who was on its board of directors -- avoid damage from a criminal investigation.

Read more at: https://www.rferl.org/a/why-was-ukraine-top-prosecutor-fired-viktor-shokin/30181445.html

I'll have to read this in full, but I've heard, he was let go for not being harsh enough on corruption, what a catastrophe this all could have been! Big time, hopefully, the bullet is largely dodged!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
From the article:

Biden did demand that Shokin be removed. At an event at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York in 2018, Biden seemed to boast about it, saying that during a visit to Kyiv -- likely in December 2015 -- he told Ukrainian officials: "We're leaving in six hours. If the prosecutor's not fired, you're not getting the money."

"Well, son of a bitch," Biden continued. "He got fired."

RFE is our government, I'm not sure if actual copyrights apply,  at least the articles that are wholly their own, I know they get AP and Reuters stories too and run them, I don't think this is one.

Need I point out, a lot of people don't like CFR, didn't Cruz make some derisive remark about them though, his wife is involved with them? I think so.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:42:23 pm by TomSea »