Author Topic: Idealists Study World War II; Realists Study World War I  (Read 186 times)

rangerrebew

Idealists Study World War II; Realists Study World War I
« on: September 25, 2019, 11:17:41 am »

September 24, 2019

Idealists Study World War II; Realists Study World War I

World War I represents reality as it is, not as we wish it to be.
by Sam Canter

Scenario one: a dominant superpower, serving as the unquestioned head of an international alliance, and possessing unmatched military and economic strength. This superpower appears exceptionally led at the military, political, and bureaucratic levels, and possesses the time and space to conceptualize a focused strategy against a specific threat.

Scenario two: several powerful nations operating in a multipolar world, pursuing divergent interests, with none possessing an absolute advantage over the others. Exceptional political and military leadership is lacking, and the rapid pace of change means these nations are carried forward by events over which they exercise little control. Few are certain what a future threat or strategy may resemble.

Our first scenario describes the world of 1945; the triumphant United States at the head of a new international order and poised to combat a clear challenger. Our second describes the world of 1918: victorious powers fighting over diverging interests, squandering their opportunities of peace, but convinced in their conceit that the world could be ordered in their image.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/idealists-study-world-war-ii-realists-study-world-war-i-83031

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Idealists Study World War II; Realists Study World War I
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 11:39:53 pm »
Studies like this are pointless.

If there ever is another "worldwide" conflict that is seen as an existential struggle between 2 or more nuclear-capable powers...

... it will "go nuclear".
Either in short order, or else as "the last resort".