Author Topic: Profiteers Have Looted Billions in South Sudan - Watchdog Group  (Read 169 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Profiteers Have Looted Billions in South Sudan - Watchdog Group
« on: September 20, 2019, 08:13:23 pm »
Profiteers Have Looted Billions in South Sudan - Watchdog Group
By Carol Van Dam

A large array of international players, including corporate giants in the United States and China, have profited from South Sudan's long civil war, according to a report by a Washington-based watchdog group.

The Sentry, which reports on links between corruption and mass atrocities in Africa, charged in its report released Thursday  in London that several business owners and corporate entities engaged in widespread, government-sanctioned corruption, leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of South Sudanese during the civil war.

"Dar Petroleum, a multinational oil consortium led by the China National Petroleum Corporation, is not just a passive beneficiary of the horrific status quo. The company actively participated in the destruction of South Sudan," George Clooney, an actor and co-founder of The Sentry, said at the group's news conference in London.

A publicity image from The Taking of South Sudan report.

Read more at:  https://www.voanews.com/africa/watchdog-report-claims-profiteers-have-looted-billions-south-sudan
and https://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00070058.html

I care not for Don Cheadle or George Clooney but the stories themselves, on how Africa is used and exploited throughout history is pretty fascinating, now, it seems the Chinese are getting in on the action:

From the VOA link:

U.S. actor and activist George Clooney speaks at a press conference about South Sudan in London, Sept. 19, 2019.

File -  A Petronas logo is seen near its Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I've got a friend, he's just in the computer end of a medical device seller, he says he doesn't make much, I believe him, he apparently does sort of grunt work for the company but he's been to Malaysia and a number of other exotic locales.

So, I don't keep up with the stars, maybe Clooney does some good work. I don't really care much for these folks in general. Cheadle seems pretty bad though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 08:14:39 pm by TomSea »