Author Topic: Presidential Spending Update  (Read 185 times)

Offline OfTheCross

Presidential Spending Update
« on: September 20, 2019, 03:16:32 pm »
Federal spending is rising and the government’s debt is growing by a trillion dollars a year. President Trump came into office promising spending cuts and debt reduction, but he has delivered the opposite so far.

Figure 1 shows total federal outlays. Ike is negative because defense spending fell at the end of the Korean War. Obama is the most frugal president since Ike based on this metric.

LBJ is the big-spending champ, followed by George W. Bush. Both Texans pushed for large increases on both guns and butter. Trump also presides over increases in defense and nondefense spending.

By contrast, real defense spending fell under both Bush I and Clinton, which helped reduce their growth rates in Figure 1.

cato

The graphs are included in the link. Good info regarding spending. Everyone is growing the debt, some are just doing it faster than others...
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Applewood

Re: Presidential Spending Update
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 03:27:03 pm »
While we blame all this spending on whoever is in the Oval Office, most of this spending comes from congress.  But because the president signs off on these spending spree bills, he does get the blame. 

Trump has demonstrated that he will sign any bill that comes across his desk.  And there is always a reason why (excuse).  Pretty much the same with just about every other president too.  All of them, when talking about runaway spending, put on their frowny faces, say they worry about spending and promise to do something. 

But the bottom line is that no one -- president, congressperson, senator -- from either party really cares about runaway spending.  I've said this before:  All of them will continue to kick the can down the road -- keep spending and hope that whenever the disaster comes, they will be out of office so that whoever is in power at that time will have to deal with it. 

Offline LMAO

Re: Presidential Spending Update
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 06:20:47 pm »
While we blame all this spending on whoever is in the Oval Office, most of this spending comes from congress.  But because the president signs off on these spending spree bills, he does get the blame. 

Trump has demonstrated that he will sign any bill that comes across his desk.  And there is always a reason why (excuse).  Pretty much the same with just about every other president too.  All of them, when talking about runaway spending, put on their frowny faces, say they worry about spending and promise to do something. 

But the bottom line is that no one -- president, congressperson, senator -- from either party really cares about runaway spending.  I've said this before:  All of them will continue to kick the can down the road -- keep spending and hope that whenever the disaster comes, they will be out of office so that whoever is in power at that time will have to deal with it.

The “I’m concerned about our fiscal situation” is very fluid. The party that is out of power will make it an issue. Once they get power, human nature being human nature, all that goes out the window

Trump claims that he would have the debt paid off in eight years. Well, he’s got a long ways to go to keep that promise.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy