Author Topic: NYT Reporters Claim Key Fact Missing From Story Was Removed During Editing Process  (Read 610 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
NYT Reporters Claim Key Fact Missing From Story Was Removed During Editing Process
Leah Barkoukis

@LeahBarkoukis
|
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 7:30 AM

New York Times reporters Robin Pogrebin and Kate Kelly claim the most important detail from the excerpt the paper ran from their new book about Justice Brett Kavanaugh was removed during the editing process.

The essay about a second female Yale student who was allegedly victimized by Kavanaugh omitted the fact that she has no memory of it whatsoever.

The Times was forced to issue a correction, but then continued to spread the lie in other stories.

Speaking to MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell, the reporters claimed the article originally included the words noted in the correction—that “the female student declined to be interviewed and friends say that she does not recall the incident”—but said it could’ve been removed by editors because "the Times doesn’t usually include the names of the victim and in this case the editors felt like it was better to remove it and in removing her name they removed the other reference to the fact that she didn’t remember it," Pogrebin said.

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2019/09/17/nyt-reporters-claim-key-fact-missing-from-story-was-removed-during-editing-process-n2553207
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
NYT Reporters Claim Key Fact Missing From Story Was Removed During Editing Process

And that very well may be true.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
And that very well may be true.

Which actually makes it much worse, because the higher up in the chain of command the sin was committed, the more it implicates the paper as a whole.

Which is trash anyway....

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Which actually makes it much worse, because the higher up in the chain of command the sin was committed, the more it implicates the paper as a whole.

Which is trash anyway....

:yowsa:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PeteS in CA

NYT Reporters: We Included Exculpatory Info On Kavanaugh — But Editors Removed It; Update: Another Omitted Detail?

Who made the decision to excise the teensy little detail from the “new” reporting at the New York Times on Brett Kavanaugh that called into question the “new” allegation made? Don’t blame us, the book’s authors and NYT reporters told Lawrence O’Donnell last night on MSNBC. Robin Pogrebin and Kate Kelly claim that their submission of the “adaptation” from their book included the fact that the supposed victim of Kavanaugh at a second party doesn’t have any recollection of the incident. The editors removed it, they tell a credulous O’Donnell, because of sensitivity to using the names of victims of sexual assault.

Normally, however, editors work with contributors on their submissions. The process usually requires a last look by contributors to the edited material for any last-minute issues created by the editing. Why did the two reporters sign off on the submission rather than insist that the key sentence be restored to provide the proper context, perhaps with a redaction in place of the woman’s name? O’Donnell doesn’t ask, and the two never volunteer an answer.

Mollie Hemingway isn’t buying it for another reason. First, as she initially noted on Twitter, the two sat around for at least a full day without speaking up about the missing sentence and context, even when it started getting noticed. More importantly, though, Hemingway discovered that the two left out the same information in an NPR interview that was taped late last week before the NYT “adaptation” had been published:
Not only that, but the two also discuss with NPR how Leland Keyser helps to establish Christine Blasey Ford’s credibility without ever once mentioning that Keyser told them explicitly that she doesn’t find Blasey Ford credible.
Mollie
@MZHemingway

More than that, Pogrebin was long-time roommates at Yale with Kathy Charlton, a woman centrally involved in the anti-Kavanaugh efforts (according to public statements from her husband). That she was roommates is briefly disclosed, but  Charlton's coordinating role is not

I'm thinking (FWLIW):

1. The claim that NYT editors removed reference to the supposed victim not remembering such an incident may well be false; if it is false, the NYT is not likely to be happy at a false accusation (I know, how hypocritical!) and have the files and emails with which they can show the accusation is false;

2. The obvious ties between Pogrebin and Charlton is a conflict of interest that should have been mentioned in the NYT article and is another omission that should be explained;

2. This relationship also brings perspective to the Kelly-Pogrebin book, another conflict of interest that should have been noted, in the book; if it wasn't the publisher an Pogrebin have some 'splainin' to do.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
NYT Reporters: We Included Exculpatory Info On Kavanaugh — But Editors Removed It; Update: Another Omitted Detail?

I'm thinking (FWLIW):

1. The claim that NYT editors removed reference to the supposed victim not remembering such an incident may well be false; if it is false, the NYT is not likely to be happy at a false accusation (I know, how hypocritical!) and have the files and emails with which they can show the accusation is false;

2. The obvious ties between Pogrebin and Charlton is a conflict of interest that should have been mentioned in the NYT article and is another omission that should be explained;

2. This relationship also brings perspective to the Kelly-Pogrebin book, another conflict of interest that should have been noted, in the book; if it wasn't the publisher an Pogrebin have some 'splainin' to do.

The NY Times and journalistic integrity have no acquaintance.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Strangely absent:  There were no Tweets from the reporterettes expressing dismay over the editing.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2/2019/09/17/view-authors-kavanaugh-hit-piece-back-away-blaming-ny-times-error/

Authors Of Kavanaugh Hit Piece Backtrack After Blaming Editors For Key Omission: ‘We’re A Team At The NY Times’

There must have been some heated calls from the NY Times to the authors of a new book about Brett Kavanaugh last night. At least that’s what I imagine happened to generate this sudden change of heart this morning.

As Ed noted this morning, Robin Pogrebin and Kate Kelly, told Lawrence O’Donnell Monday night show that the omission of a key detail from their NY Times opinion piece wasn’t their fault. They had included the fact that a woman who allegedly encountered Kavanaugh naked at a drunken party told friends she had no memory of the incident, but the Times’ editors removed that key detail from the story.

As Ed pointed out this morning, that explanation doesn’t make a lot of sense given that authors have the final say about what makes it into print under their names. It sounded as if they were throwing the Times under the bus to save themselves.

Today, the Pogrebin and Kelly appeared on the View and were asked by Meghan McCain how this “vital fact” got left out.

“Thank you so much for the question and we’re eager to clear the air on this,” Kate Kelly said. She continued, “First of all, there was no desire to withhold important information from our readers. We have all of it in the book and the essay is an adaptation of the book that of course, we had to edit for length and clarity.

“During the editing process, there was an oversight and this key detail, about the fact that the woman herself has told friends she doesn’t remember it and has not wanted to talk about it, got cut. And it was an oversight and the Times adjusted it and we’re very sorry that it happened.”

And now we know that weasels can waltz. Well, here's what I currently think really happened. Pogrebin and Kelly and NYT editorial staff left out the "key detail" knowingly and intentionally, thinking they could get away with it. Pogrebin and Kelly tried to wriggle out from under the Truth Bus, and NYT manglement yanked them back under.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.