Author Topic: Under U.S. pressure Mexico shifts immigration policy  (Read 408 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Under U.S. pressure Mexico shifts immigration policy
« on: September 15, 2019, 01:17:49 pm »
Big Country Abilene by MARÍA VERZA 9/14/2019

Under growing pressure from the U.S. government, Mexico’s immigration policy has moved from one promising to help migrants to another characterized by militarized enforcement that has support of the country’s foreign secretary.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has faced pointed criticism from the left about the change in direction, but Foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrard made clear this week after a meeting at the White House that Mexico plans to stick with the get-tough approach that has succeeded in reducing the flow of Central American migrants to the U.S. border.

“We haven’t done anything that we should be ashamed of,” Ebrard said Tuesday in Washington. “We would never do that.”

Not everyone agrees. More than 100 organizations from Mexico, Central America and the United States signed a letter this week denouncing some of Mexico’s immigration enforcement practices as “arbitrary, indiscriminate and therefore illegal.”

“In these 90 days, Mexico has become President Trump’s border wall,” the letter added.

More: https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/border-report/under-u-s-pressure-mexico-shifts-immigration-policy/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Under U.S. pressure Mexico shifts immigration policy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 01:48:34 pm »
Sounds like a very positive development to me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 07:58:18 pm »
Once again, I just have to say it.

NO OTHER REPUBLICAN except Mr. Trump would have brought to bear the amount of pressure on Mexico required to force them to change their policies.

NOT ONE.
Who are you kiddin'....?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 08:19:44 pm »
Once again, I just have to say it.

NO OTHER REPUBLICAN except Mr. Trump would have brought to bear the amount of pressure on Mexico required to force them to change their policies.

NOT ONE.
Who are you kiddin'....?

Completely agree. He hasn't done as much as I wanted him to do, and not as much as he said he would do.

But he's done far, far more than republican presidents who called themselves 'conservative'. Frankly I don't care what he calls himself I'm grateful for what he's been able to accomplish.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 08:30:46 pm »
Completely agree. He hasn't done as much as I wanted him to do, and not as much as he said he would do.

But he's done far, far more than republican presidents who called themselves 'conservative'. Frankly I don't care what he calls himself I'm grateful for what he's been able to accomplish.

And so do I.  There is no telling what might have been accomplished had he not not been subjected to a contrived witch hunt of an investigation that weighed over most of the first two years.  Add a willing Republican congress and the sky is the limit.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien