Author Topic: Heller’s Precarious Situation  (Read 330 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Heller’s Precarious Situation
« on: September 14, 2019, 01:45:05 am »
National Review by By David B. Kopel September 12, 2019

Many courts are failing to uphold the Second Amendment

The Supreme Court’s 2008 District of Columbia v. Heller decision affirmed that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to arms. Two years later, McDonald v. Chicago made that right enforceable against state and local governments.

The McDonald Court declared that the Second Amendment is not a “second-class right,” to be “singled out for special — and specially unfavorable — treatment.” In 2019, however, Heller is in a precarious situation: There have been numerous victories for gun rights, but many lower courts have in practice nullified the Second Amendment. Later this year, the Supreme Court may hear a case involving egregious Second Amendment infringements by the New York City government. The Court should take the opportunity not only to strike New York’s abuses, but also to firmly remind lower courts that the Second Amendment is a first-class civil right.

Before Heller, Washington, D.C., banned handguns and required that long guns be stored in an inoperable state, rendering them useless for self-defense. Today, D.C. citizens not only may defend their homes and families with handguns or long guns but also may carry handguns in public. The D.C. handgun-carry licensing system is not perfect, but it does provide a fair pathway for applicants who pass safety training and a fingerprint-based background check — thanks to the D.C. Circuit’s 2017 decision in Wrenn v. District of Columbia.

Heller and McDonald ended handgun bans in Chicago and six of its suburbs. Then, in 2012, the Seventh Circuit in Moore v. Madigan struck down Illinois’s statewide ban on carrying guns in public. Now, Illinoisans, like residents of D.C. and most of the rest of the nation, can bear arms lawfully.

More: https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2019/09/30/hellers-precarious-situation%E2%80%88/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Heller’s Precarious Situation
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:59:30 am »
Does anybody think the lower courts defying the SCOTUS would be more likely to support a Statute? :pondering:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 03:41:46 am »
Does anybody think the lower courts defying the SCOTUS would be more likely to support a Statute? :pondering:

:bigsilly: :laughingdog: 000hehehehe :mauslaff: :pigs fly:

Does that answer your question?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 10:36:42 am »
You mean, like immigration law?  :nono:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis