Author Topic: AOC Blames Republicans Because She Can’t Pay Her Student Loans  (Read 494 times)

rangerrebew

AOC Blames Republicans Because She Can’t Pay Her Student Loans
September 11, 2019 - 98 Comments.   

In recent years, the plight of student loan debt has received national attention in the United States of America. Countless young people willingly take out student loans in order to attend college; years later, they wrap up college and are unable to find work and otherwise settle into the real world. The inability to find work or one’s desired job doesn’t erase the owed debts of student loans, hence the downward spiral which so many Americans have experienced.

There’s been an attempt to quite literally pass the buck when it comes to student loan debt. Democrats who are running in the 2020 presidential election are now promising to “erase” student loan debt; the factual version of that means that if a Democrat weasels their way into office, they’re going to push for legislation which transfers student loan debt to individuals who never signed up for it.

https://www.theconservativebrief.com/aoc-blames-republicans-because-she-cant-pay-her-student-loans/

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Re: AOC Blames Republicans Because She Can’t Pay Her Student Loans
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 02:13:05 pm »
So people who did fulfill their obligation to pay back their loans now get to pay back hers too. That seems fair...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 03:23:55 pm »
Admittedly, paying back a student load is tough on a bartender's wages.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 03:28:54 pm »
Admittedly, paying back a student load is tough on a bartender's wages.

She makes a $174K a year now, plus what ever graft she is skimming on the side.  Screaming this bullshit present tense is pure stupidity.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 03:52:15 pm »
It is time for a naational foregiveness off all mortgages, car loans, to go along with cllege loans, medical debts, etc.

Just nationalize banks, etc.

Ban cars, and airplanes. With solar panels, trains could cross the continent in under six months, if the Greene Gods shine bright rays upn us.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 05:37:16 pm »
This is the original news story underlying the OP link.

“I’m hearing people on this committee say it’s not our job,” she said, referring to Republicans, according to the New York Post. “This is our job.”

The committee was discussing how to bring down the estimated $1.5 trillion in student debt owed in the United States.

“I literally made a student loan payment while I was sitting here at this chair, and I looked at my balance, and it was $20,237.16,” she said. “I just made a payment that took me down to $19,000 so I feel really accomplished right now.”

1. AOC borrowed the money and spent it.

2. AOC chose a major with no career path more remunerative than bartending.

Paying off her loan is her obligation, not mine. I paid off my student loan over 40 years ago. And didn't whine about it when I did.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:15:00 pm »
I really think she needs to apply for a refund from her college. She didn't learn nothing.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 09:34:33 pm »
This is the original news story underlying the OP link.

1. AOC borrowed the money and spent it.

2. AOC chose a major with no career path more remunerative than bartending.

Paying off her loan is her obligation, not mine. I paid off my student loan over 40 years ago. And didn't whine about it when I did.
In her... blech, I can't believe I'm doing this, but... in her defense:

AOC was born in 1989, meaning she graduated high school and started college (and likely had already settled on her major) in 2007, when the economy was still relatively good. The job market collapsed in 2008.

I speak from experience here when I say that you can't always see what the job market is going to be like for your chosen career path four or five years after you decide to pursue it. I went to school for meteorology, something I had wanted to do since I was a young child, and when I started it was looking fairly stable—it might be a challenge to get in but it would be doable. Then the entry-level job market collapsed out from underneath me just before I graduated. The seemingly stable job opportunities in smaller areas disappeared. Is that my fault, a mistake on my part? In hindsight, perhaps, but how would I have known? There are countless others from that time span who found themselves in similar conundra(?). Especially the ones that were caught in the middle of their education when it seemed like literally every job field except health care was contracting.

(OK. There. That wasn't so hard.)

Now that I've got that out of the way... if there's any other entity that's going to help these people dig out of the $1.5 trillion hole that's been created because of this, it ought to be the universities and colleges that keep escalating their prices well above the rate of inflation each year. College education has transformed from a way to learn the skills and knowledge to pursue new careers to a risky gamble that MIGHT get you a better life IF you're well-connected enough to land an entry-level job. That onus is on the colleges and universities.

AOC is basically asking for a bailout, a reward, for the colleges and universities that have run amok. Heck no. They ripped us off. But hey, she landed on her feet in Congress, unlike SOME of us. (For the record, I did pay off my loans on a cashier's salary.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:35:52 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 09:46:19 pm »
Serious conservatives should criticize the "higher education" industry, private and public, for running up costs, without an equal improvement in education.

A great opportunity exists now, to market and deliver good education at all levels, online.

But teacher unions, closely tied to democrats, will squeal over it, including "accredidation."

I paid off the one shool loan that I took, and I worked nearly full time. It took me 8 years from start to finish a BA.

I learned more working with petroleum engineers, than with accountants, BTW.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 09:49:50 pm »
AOC was born in 1989, meaning she graduated high school and started college (and likely had already settled on her major) in 2007, when the economy was still relatively good.

The interest rate on her 2007 loan would have been less than 3%.  But by the time she graduated, that rate would have climbed to 6.8% thanks to Democrats nationalizing the student loan industry.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 09:58:02 pm »
So people who did fulfill their obligation to pay back their loans now get to pay back hers too. That seems fair...

Not only that, the people who did not go to college get to pay back her loan, too.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 09:09:05 pm »
AOC is a total idiot on her best day.  And lazy stupid in general!

I had ten years to pay my student loans off, I paid them off in three.  And my interest rate was 8%.

She is 100% responsible for paying the loans, and I am 100% in full support of her wages being attached to make the payments!

AOC is a pathetic creature, one that I have zero respect for.  But she is a shinning example of her generation, lazy dumb, with no future.

I believe in the 80/20 rule for most things.  I have a cousin the exact same age as AOC.  She had over $140,000 in student loans for undergrad school.  She paid her loans off in less than 10 years, and I believe she was given 20 years to pay them off.  It is about CHARACTER, and being responsible for your actions and decisions. 

Every day AOC is a total embarrassment to this nation.  Ideas from this bimbo are not in the best interest of this nation!!!!!!

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 12:19:28 am »
AOC's majors were International Relations and Economics. I doubt the job markets for those majors is much different from when she chose them in 2007. And she graduated into that rip-roaring Obamaconomy, not the 2008-2009 recession. As best I can tell, she did not try to follow any career path related to her major. She went into bartending and some sort of Latino-activism. More plainly, she didn't try to work at a job that would let her pay off her loan.

I went to a tech college, started working in electronics early in Jimmy Carter's Administration, and have worked in electronics ever since. I've had to learn as I went, obviously, but everyone does that.

My kids have done "better" than I did. One earned his degree (CSU system) with zero debt. A second has a full-ride scholarship. A third has paid $$ for classes to date, and will continue toward a degree using an employer-paid program.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 10:33:20 am »
She makes a $174K a year now, plus what ever graft she is skimming on the side.  Screaming this bullshit present tense is pure stupidity.
Yep. There are folks all over the country with the median income of 57K (per capita) and they pay their bills. Maybe she should reevaluate her budget.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis