Author Topic: Uganda’s newest attraction: Idi Amin, its dictator from the 1970s  (Read 194 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Extensive article!

Uganda’s newest attraction: Idi Amin, its dictator from the 1970s

An image of dictator Idi Amin is displayed at the Uganda Museum in Kampala.
(Uganda Museum)

By Krista Mahr   Sep. 11, 2019   8:33 AM
KAMPALA, Uganda —

Four years ago, researchers working to preserve Ugandan history came across an old metal filing cabinet at the state broadcasting company and pried it open. Inside were some 70,000 negatives.

Their main subject was Idi Amin, the notorious dictator who ruled Uganda during the 1970s and oversaw the killings of as many as 300,000 people.

In one image, he wears an immaculate suit and stands before a cluster of microphones mid-speech with an index finger thrust into the air. He looks statesmanlike.

Tourists walk into a bunker in Kampala where leader Idi Amin sent political opponents to die.
(Krista Mahr / For The Times)

Read more at: https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2019-09-11/uganda-idi-amin-museum

Movie clip, "The Last King of Scotland", early in the movie when Amin was just coming to power and it'd be easy to think he was probably a good guy:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Forest Whitaker has commented on his role on playing Amin, Whitaker did not want to do Africa any disservice and that Whitaker cared to act responsibly. It's interesting in all that he says.  Maybe I will find that later unless, it's on the DVD itself as part of the extras. I forget where.

I've certainly got an acquaintance who is Ugandan who I've got a pretty casual relationship with. I could ask him about this period but it is better to let sleeping dogs lie as they say, unless, the opportunity really presented itself.

I remember listening to Paul Harvey in the day, "Mean Idi Amin" when he'd report a story on him.

By the way, there is a full movie on Idi Amin  at youtube.com ,

"The Rise and Fall of Idi Amin", I'm not going to link because sometimes, it seems youtube will suddenly take a video down but one can watch it after searching for it.

It is African-made,  I don't think it's strong in production, like something you'd see from a lesser developed nation but I believe the wikipedia bio on Amin says factually, it is an accurate movie.

As nice and talented   Forest Whitaker is, you know, he's still an American and imho, different than someone actually from the continent.

Must be an African-made movie. The star probably even looks a bit like Amin.

Rise and Fall of Idi Amin

Idi Amin bio
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:09:48 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Uganda’s newest attraction: Idi Amin, its dictator from the 1970s
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 01:17:50 pm »
The article says photos of the Amin years were discovered lately, I was not aware of this, this link has some examples.

https://thewire.in/history/unseen-photographs-idi-amin-uganda-rule

The Unseen Archive of Idi Amin's Tyrannical Rule in Uganda
Thousands of photographs documenting life in 1970's Uganda during Amin's reign were recently discovered and now offer one of the first opportunities for public reflection on his presidency.

General Mustafa Adrisi, the Vice President of Uganda, addresses coffee smugglers in Bugoloobi, a neighbourhood in Kampala. Photo: Uganda Broadcasting Corporation

Article says this originally appeared at the website,  "The Conversation", that sounds like a website that could have views from all sides but I once read it and it looked all liberal to me. Anyway, I could be wrong and here is that original article:

https://theconversation.com/thousands-of-recently-discovered-photographs-document-life-in-uganda-during-idi-amins-reign-119131