Author Topic: Supreme Court Backs New Trump Asylum Restrictions  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Supreme Court Backs New Trump Asylum Restrictions
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:33:14 pm »
Supreme Court Backs New Trump Asylum Restrictions
NY Times, Sep 11, 2019

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Wednesday allowed the Trump administration to bar many Central American migrants from seeking asylum in the United States. The court said the administration may enforce new rules that generally forbid asylum applications from people who had traveled through another country on their way to the United States without being denied asylum in that country.

A federal appeals court had largely blocked the new policy, but the justices, in a brief, unsigned order, allowed it to go into effect while legal challenges move forward. Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor dissented.

In a Supreme Court brief, the solicitor general, Noel J. Francisco, representing the administration, said the new policy was needed to address “an unprecedented surge in the number of aliens who enter the country unlawfully across the southern border and, if apprehended, claim asylum and remain in the country while their claims are adjudicated.”

Under the policy, which was announced July 15, only immigrants who have been denied asylum in another country or who have been victims of “severe” human trafficking are permitted to apply in the United States. “The rule thus screens out asylum seekers who declined to request protection at the first opportunity,” Mr. Francisco wrote.

More:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/us/politics/supreme-court-trump-asylum.html

Re: Supreme Court Backs New Trump Asylum Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:38:15 pm »
FTA

Under the rules, Hondurans and Salvadorans must seek and be denied asylum in Guatemala or Mexico before they can apply in the United States. Guatemalans must seek and be denied asylum in Mexico.

The rules reversed longstanding asylum policies that allowed people to seek haven no matter how they got to the United States.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Supreme Court allows full enforcement of Trump asylum rules
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:58:08 pm »
Supreme Court allows full enforcement of Trump asylum rules
By Justine Coleman - 09/11/19 06:44 PM EDT

The Supreme Court has approved President Trump's request to allow the administration to enforce its new asylum rule.

The rule would severely cut down on the number of immigrants would can request asylum in the United States, essentially preventing many of those coming from Central American from doing so.
ADVERTISEMENT

President Trump has vowed to take action to stem the tide of immigrants at the southern border, most of whom are coming from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.

The new rules would make those who pass through another country before the United States ineligible.

The court said the administration could enforce the rule as litigation of the legality of it goes on.

Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg dissented in the court decision, according to a report by Reuters.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/department-of-homeland-security/461010-supreme-court-allows-full
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:05:00 pm »
Supreme Court allows Trump administration to deny asylum to migrants on southern border
Washington Examiner, Sep 11, 2019

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/supreme-court-allows-trump-administration-to-deny-asylum-to-migrants-on-southern-border

Offline skeeter

Re: Supreme Court allows full enforcement of Trump asylum rules
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 11:09:10 pm »
Blow it out your arse, Judge Tigar.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Supreme Court allows full enforcement of Trump asylum rules
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 11:12:49 pm »
Blow it out your arse, Judge Tigar.

He just got bitch slapped!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 11:54:52 pm »
W I N N I N G ! ! !   W I N N I N G ! ! !   W I N N I N G !!!   W I N N I N G ! ! !    W I N N I N G ! ! !
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:56:15 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 12:40:11 am »
 :yowsa:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 01:43:04 am »
SCOTUSblog

https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/09/court-allows-government-to-enforce-restrictive-asylum-rule-nationwide/#more-289078

Tonight, the Supreme Court gave the government the go-ahead to enforce the rule nationwide while its appeal winds its way through the 9th Circuit and, if necessary, the Supreme Court. In her five-page dissent, Sotomayor suggested that the new rule may be “in significant tension” with federal laws governing immigration. She added that it was “especially concerning” that the new rule “topples decades of settled asylum practices and affects some of the most vulnerable people in the Western Hemisphere—without affording the public a chance to weigh in.”

Sotomayor criticized the Supreme Court’s decision to intervene at this stage of the process. “Granting a stay pending appeal should be an ‘extraordinary’ act,” she stressed, but “it appears the Government has treated this exceptional mechanism as a new normal” – and, she lamented, the justices have acquiesced.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 01:48:11 am »
Am I reading this correctly?  7-2 decision?  Breyer and Kagan voting with the majority?  I am liking Kagan more and more.  As someone coming onto the court with zero bench experience, it looks like she might actually be using the Constitution as guidance.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 04:35:10 am »
This is good - But it is my understanding that this is international treaty standard procedure wrt asylum anyway - That asylum must be sought at the nearest available country... so what gives?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 01:28:07 pm »
This is good - But it is my understanding that this is international treaty standard procedure wrt asylum anyway - That asylum must be sought at the nearest available country... so what gives?

It means that deep-state judges have been acting in an extra-judicial way and essentially enacting legislation.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 01:33:48 pm »
It means that deep-state judges have been acting in an extra-judicial way and essentially enacting legislation.

Thx

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 03:14:32 pm »
Am I reading this correctly?  7-2 decision?  Breyer and Kagan voting with the majority?  I am liking Kagan more and more.  As someone coming onto the court with zero bench experience, it looks like she might actually be using the Constitution as guidance.

It is very surprising. When was the last time the 4 libs didn't vote in lockstep on an issue involving Trump? Maybe it's just for show, trying to create an illusion of impartiality on an occasional vote they're going to lose anyway?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 03:19:47 pm »

But there is no Deep State is there?   22222frying pan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 03:21:10 pm »

:shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 03:22:50 pm »

Riiight. Wake me up when the perp-walks start.

rangerrebew

Sotomayor dissents: Trump asylum ban comes when stakes 'could not be higher'
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 02:04:46 pm »

Sotomayor dissents: Trump asylum ban comes when stakes 'could not be higher'
By Brett Samuels - 09/11/19 07:33 PM EDT

Justice Sonia Sotomayor on Wednesday took issue with the Trump administration's tendency to turn to the Supreme Court for relief from lower court injunctions.

Sotomayor and fellow liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg were the lone two judges who dissented in the issuing of the stay of a nationwide injunction of a Trump administration rule that would drastically cut down on the number of people who could seek asylum in the U.S.

The Supreme Court on Wednesday approved President Trump's request to allow the administration to fully enforce the rule.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/461014-sotomayor-dissents-trump-asylum-ban-comes-when-stakes-could-not-be