Author Topic: Jordan says peace treaty with Israel could be 'at stake'  (Read 159 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Jordan says peace treaty with Israel could be 'at stake'
« on: September 11, 2019, 07:27:17 pm »
Jordan says peace treaty with Israel could be 'at stake'
The New Arab & agencies

Date of publication: 11 September, 2019

Jordan's house speaker said Wednesday a pledge by Israel's prime minister to annex a key part of the occupied West Bank if re-elected could put the peace treaty with Israel "at stake".

"The house of representatives, rejecting all the racist statements coming from the leadership of the occupier, confirms that dealing with this occupier requires a new path that would place the peace treaty at stake," Atef al-Tawarneh said in remarks carried by official news agency Petra.

He accused Israel of having "studiously broken all international treaties and (UN) resolutions".

Read more at: https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2019/9/11/jordan-says-peace-treaty-with-israel-at-stake

Well, they are having elections (again??) soon, so this is probably an appeal to voters.

I don't care if I'm in the minority, this looks like an election ploy and they've apparently had a good relationship with Jordan and peace has largely occurred. Might this not endanger that?

So, like Trump, I don't go along with all of Netanyahu's decisions. That is their country, so this is just me opining and probably not too aware of the various factors involved.

OTOH, Israel may well have legitimate reasons to have that land.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Jordan says peace treaty with Israel could be 'at stake'
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:37:07 pm »
Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967, I believe?

FIFTY years.

Jordan has done nothing to try to get it back.

They will not lift a finger against Israel in the future, even if Israel decides to "annex" land that it has controlled for five decades.

If they do, that finger will get broken quickly.