Author Topic: We Hear You: An Immigrant Couple Explains the Unfairness of Amnesty  (Read 220 times)

rangerrebew

We Hear You: An Immigrant Couple Explains the Unfairness of Amnesty

Ken McIntyre   September 08, 2019 

Dear Daily Signal: I couldn’t agree more with Genevieve Wood in her recent commentary headlined “4 Keys to the Immigration Reform We Need.” My wife and I are immigrants from Canada under an E-2 investors visa.

We are two legal immigrants who invested our life savings in a small business called Shelley’s Casual Elegance Inc., specializing in ladies’ fashions in South Florida. We left Canada in late 2005 and have expanded and improved the business continuously, spending well in excess of $100,000 of our money and employing over a dozen American citizens in the past 14 years.

We have spent over $25,000 in fees (government and lawyers) to ensure that we comply with the requirements of the laws of the United States, yet in spite of that, we have no “pathway to citizenship.” Our E-2 visa does not give us permanent resident status, but in fact classifies us as resident aliens who are permitted to stay year-round, but leave at least once every two years and return to comply.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/09/08/we-hear-you-an-immigrant-couple-explains-the-unfairness-of-amnesty/