Author Topic: The Volkswagen Beetle will return with battery power  (Read 319 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Volkswagen Beetle will return with battery power
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:23:12 pm »
Fox News 9/6/2019 by Gary Gastelu

Volkswagen killed the Beetle in July, but it’s already bringing it back to life.

That is to say, it’s resurrecting the original Type 1 Beetle as an electric car.

The automaker has teamed up with a German outfit called eClassics to develop a factory-approved conversion for the classic it calls the eKäfer, which is German for eBeetle.

The extensively engineered swap uses the drivetrain and battery pack from a European electric Volkswagen model called the e-up! (exclamation point included) and comes with an 81 hp motor that’s so much more compact than the Beetle’s four-cylinder engine that it leaves room for a rear trunk.

More: https://www.foxnews.com/auto/volkswagen-beetle-battery-power

Offline OfTheCross

Re: The Volkswagen Beetle will return with battery power
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 02:10:47 pm »
Fox News 9/6/2019 by Gary Gastelu

Volkswagen killed the Beetle in July, but it’s already bringing it back to life.

That is to say, it’s resurrecting the original Type 1 Beetle as an electric car.

The automaker has teamed up with a German outfit called eClassics to develop a factory-approved conversion for the classic it calls the eKäfer, which is German for eBeetle.

The extensively engineered swap uses the drivetrain and battery pack from a European electric Volkswagen model called the e-up! (exclamation point included) and comes with an 81 hp motor that’s so much more compact than the Beetle’s four-cylinder engine that it leaves room for a rear trunk.

More: https://www.foxnews.com/auto/volkswagen-beetle-battery-power

I knew it wouldn't be gone for long but I didn't expect it to come back this quickly..and in battery mode...

The Beetle is too iconic to totally kill off
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 03:51:16 pm »
I LOVE the idea,but they are going to HAVE to do something about the mileage before recharging or they will forever remain a city car. 124  miles between recharges automatically means you can get no further from home than 50 miles before you need to return home to recharge. Either that,or face an expensive rollback fee to get your car home so you can recharge it.

Does anyone have access to the photo of a huge diesel generator parked beside the road with a "recharge your battery car here!" sign on it?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:52:24 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 03:56:55 pm »
Driving a Volkswagen Beetle is almost like waving a swastika flag. /s

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 05:29:30 pm »
Driving a Volkswagen Beetle is almost like waving a swastika flag. /s

@skeeter

I bought a 61 beetle convertible from a junkyard while going to college. Paid 125 bucks for it as a complete rust-free car with a good top and good upholstery. The original  36  hp engine in it was trashed out,so I bought a good used 40 hp engine for 75 bucks and installed it. Really upped the HP ante there!

This car taught me I lived uphill. I could run 3 or 4 mph faster leaving home than I could returning. Drove it for a couple of years and sold it for more than I had in it,and it was still running like a top when I sold it.

I have nothing but fond memories of that car. I was even living with a red-haired green-eyed double-breasted model while owning it. Good times!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 05:31:52 pm »
@skeeter

I bought a 61 beetle convertible from a junkyard while going to college. Paid 125 bucks for it as a complete rust-free car with a good top and good upholstery. The original  36  hp engine in it was trashed out,so I bought a good used 40 hp engine for 75 bucks and installed it. Really upped the HP ante there!

This car taught me I lived uphill. I could run 3 or 4 mph faster leaving home than I could returning. Drove it for a couple of years and sold it for more than I had in it,and it was still running like a top when I sold it.

I have nothing but fond memories of that car. I was even living with a red-haired green-eyed double-breasted model while owning it. Good times!

Your memories sound more interesting than mine. Every other person owned a VW bug when I was in HS. Spent a little time sneaking beer & hot boxing in em.

Those things had a unique sound and smell. Was a little surprised when I learned about the design origin.