Author Topic: Afghanistan: President Ghani’s Visit To Washington Postponed: Sources  (Read 192 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
He wants to discuss that "peace plan" and troop withdrawal. Obviously, he is probably apprehensive about it.

President Ghani’s Visit To Washington Postponed: Sources | TOLOnews

Sources familiar with President Ghani’s scheduled trip to Washington DC say that it has been postponed for now.

Earlier in the day, the sources said that President Ghani will travel to Washington DC on Saturday with a 13-member delegation to meet with President Trump on Monday.

Mr. Ghani’s trip to Washington will come after Kabul has shown frustration about the US-Taliban deal which is ‘agreed in principle’.

His trip will also come as Americans are still pushing for intra-Afghan negotiations to happen before the Sept 28th presidential elections.

Read more at: https://www.tolonews.com/afghanistan/ghani-visit-washington-us-nears-peace-deal-taliban

Offline TomSea

Related posted by antiwar.com :

Former US Envoys to Afghanistan Want To Kill Peace Deal

by Dave DeCamp Posted on September 06, 2019   

Nine former U.S. envoys to Afghanistan put their names on an article   posted on the Atlantic Council’s blog on Tuesday. The article, titled "U.S.-Taliban Negotiations: How to Avoid Rushing to Failure," makes the argument that if a major withdrawal of U.S. troops occurred in Afghanistan, the country would fall into a "total civil war."

The article was posted just a day after U.S. negotiator Zalmay Khalilzad announced an agreement was made between the U.S. and Taliban for a withdrawal of 5,000 U.S. troops over the next five months. The deal is still pending approval from President Trump.

While the point these diplomats make about Afghanistan falling further into civil war after a U.S. withdrawal may be true, this article is full of the usual taking points that has kept the U.S. in this seemingly endless war. Afghanistan has been ravaged by civil war for decades, and while 14,000 U.S. troops maintain a presence in the country today, almost daily violence still occurs.

More at: https://original.antiwar.com/Dave_DeCamp/2019/09/05/former-us-envoys-to-afghanistan-want-to-kill-peace-deal/

So many bombings, people dying over there. Unfathomable.

Here is that Atlantic Council article, think-tank I assume. I don't know for certain.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/new-atlanticist/us-taliban-negotiations-how-to-avoid-rushing-to-failure
US-Taliban Negotiations: How to Avoid Rushing to Failure
By James Dobbins, Robert P. Finn, Ronald E. Neumann, William Wood, John Negroponte, Earl Anthony Wayne, Ryan Crocker, James Cunningham, and Hugo Llorens
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:21:59 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Trump hints Afghanistan war could have been won with nuclear weapons
By Jay Jackson, Big News Network
6th September 2019, 16:06 GMT+10

WASHINGTON, DC - U.S. Donald Trump has again raised the spectre of using nuclear weapons in Afghanistan.

On Thursday, commenting on the ongoing talks with the Taliban, he said the U.S could win the war, which has been raging for 18 years, if he was willing to kill ten million people over the course of a week or two. Mr Trump has made similar assertions before.

He said the U.S. military was acting like a police force in the country, although in recent times very few U.S. soldiers have been on the frontline in the country.

Asked if a peace deal with the Taliban will be signed anytime soon, the present responded: "Well, we'll see. We're going to be talking to them. We're continuing to talk. We've been there 19 years. We've done tremendous work. We could win it very quickly if I'm - I've said this many times - if I'm willing to kill 10 million people in the course of a week or two, we could win that thing very quickly. I'm not looking to kill people in that case or in any other case, frankly. We could win that very quickly."

Read more at: https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/262321892/trump-hints-afghanistan-war-could-have-been-won-with-nuclear-weapons

Did not care to create a new thread for this.  Not sure of what to make here, Big News Network is sort of a startup company, so I'm guarded about posting their articles.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Since we were not willing to kill enough Afghans to secure a big win after 9-11-2001, I doubt we would now.

It might have not needed nukes, btw. Take out the heroin poppies, and accidentally poison the water, kill 1/3 of their population.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln