Author Topic: Analysis: Conservatives criticize Trump, but softly, in code (AP)  (Read 193 times)

Online corbe

Analysis: Conservatives criticize Trump, but softly, in code (AP)
« on: September 04, 2019, 12:10:05 am »
Analysis: Conservatives criticize Trump, but softly, in code

By CALVIN WOODWARD, Associated Press

46 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Like whisperers in a tempest, conservative-minded officials across the breadth of Donald Trump's government are letting it be known what they think of him, and some of it isn't pretty.

But they are speaking oh so softly, in a kind of code, to a country that may only hear shouting.

Jim Mattis is just the latest in a string of leading lights from the conservative establishment to throw shade at Trump. As with others — the chief justice, a special counsel, various Republican lawmakers who hope to have a political future — the ex-Pentagon chief's words are subtle, filtered through notions of duty, decorum, deference to history, the greater good.

Crack the code and you can sometimes see deep discomfort with Trump, the contours of a searing repudiation. In the view of many institutionalists of the right as well as the left, he is bulldozing values that America holds dear.

Yet the negativity is couched in words of moderation and caution. What effect does that have in Trump's America?

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/analysis-conservatives-criticize-trump-but-softly-in-code/ar-AAGL0dn?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Analysis: Conservatives criticize Trump, but softly, in code (AP)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 12:18:46 am »
Yep, it's so. I wonder, without naming names if some "allies", allies that some of us probably like, think things like "Whooaaa there".

You know, there was and is a soccer player Wayne Rooney who in his youth, looked like he'd be one of the great ones and probably is to an extent but they said that the reason he was so good was because of his "feral" or "wild" type nature.  Maybe that's the way it is with Trump, a lot of things, I thoroughly agree with and I wasn't sure if we'd ever see a president do those kinds of things so for that, good!

I like Trump but I'm no "boiler plate" Trumper but I certainly love a good deal of his presidency.

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 12:26:51 am »

Conservatives would rather not go there.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 12:27:14 am »
Calvin Woodward has written for Newsbusters:

https://www.newsbusters.org/journalists/calvin-woodward

https://muckrack.com/calvin-woodward

Seems like he has "conservative credentials" even if I did not know the name.....