Author Topic: California Dem laments presence of 'God' in congressional oaths: 'It's just preposterous'  (Read 236 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
A congressional Democrat on Sunday said it was "preposterous" that witnesses are still instructed to say "so help me God" in their oaths before testifying before Congress -- after his Democratic-led committee attempted to remove the God reference from its oaths earlier this year.

California Democratic Rep. Jared Huffman made the comments on The Freedom From Religion Foundation’s “Freethought Matters” program, which bills itself on its website as "an antidote to religion on the airwaves and Sunday morning sermonizing."

"Well, unfortunately, it's been kind of a sporadic standard," Huffman said. "Some committees have dropped the oath, others have not. I sit on the Natural Resources Committee and in our original proposed rules for the committee, we proposed that we drop the oath or we allow witnesses to simply say it voluntarily if they chose to, which to me makes perfect sense."

The members of Congress presiding over panels have the authority to decide the contents of the oaths for witnesses. In February, Louisiana Republican Rep. Mike Johnson called out House Judiciary Committee chairman Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y., for leaving out "so help me God" from an oath he administered. Nadler promptly apologized and re-administered the oath, this time including the reference to God.

Video posted on Twitter by Johnson in March showed that the phrase "so help me God" was left out of an oath administered by Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., during a Judiciary subcommittee hearing. When Johnson objected, Nadler intervened, telling Johnson, “We do not have religious tests."

Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., similarly omitted the God reference at a February Energy Committee hearing. The New York Times reported, however, that she was reading from a manual that her Republican predecessor used, and apparently was not making a secular stand.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-dem-laments-presence-of-god-in-congressional-oaths-its-just-preposterous
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline skeeter

The author of all creation doesn't need some twerp congressman's permission.

Its California's legislature that is preposterous. Everyone, including God, knows it.

Offline Hoodat

Perhaps the California Dem should read the preamble to his own State Constitution.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If it's really preposterous, then pretending to mouth the words ought to be a snap.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

An oath to nothing means nothing.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: