Author Topic: Shaw Air Force Base will pause operations after rise in suicides  (Read 223 times)

rangerrebew

Shaw Air Force Base will pause operations after rise in suicides
By David Aaro | Fox News

Shaw Air Force Base in South Carolina is planning a tactical stand-down over three days in August and September to help those at the base "recharge" following the suicides of three airmen in the past year and the alarming uptick in Air Force suicides throughout the U.S.

Second Lt. Christopher Rhoton, 35, Justin Strickland, 26, and Jose Llanes, 28, all committed suicide at the base this year, according to Sumter County Coroner Robert Baker, while 79 suicides have occurred in the Air Force from January to July 2019.

Those 79 deaths were nearly twice as many compared to this time last year and officials fear 2019 could be the deadliest in history, according to the Post and Courier. The military branch also recorded about 100 suicides per year over the past 5 years.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/shaw-air-force-base-suicide-rate

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Shaw Air Force Base will pause operations after rise in suicides
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 06:04:22 pm »
My condolences to the families/loved ones of those lost.

I was at Shaw for almost 4 years...the advent of political cowreckedness within the services has a lot to do with the shitty morale in the USAF.  It's sucked any fun or levity out of what could be considered a stressful occupation.  One misstep and one's career is over nowadays.  I keep in touch with many current active duty folks and the contrasts between when I was in and now are stark.

The work/ops tempo at Shaw has always been very high.  Lots of stress, pressure to get jets turned or fixed, weekend duty, quarterly exercises in all weather, etc., etc.

Little credence is given to the fact that practically every flight flown at Shaw is for training and the tempo should reflect that.  But in reality, it doesn't.

MX supervisors keep their boots on the troops throats to keep their stats up in order to look good at staff meetings.

It also doesn't help that Shaw is a higher headquarters base, which causes additional "visibility" by the Commanders.

Sumter, the town near Shaw, is basically an armpit of a town...so the troops have very few options to unwind or decompress.

"Resiliency Days" are not going to fix the problem...there is and always will be a stigma attached to seeking counseling.  People know that is about the fastest way to derail one's career.

Just my $0.02.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.