Author Topic: Canada: Scheer gets support from openly gay candidate over same-sex marriage controversy  (Read 225 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
They found a 2005 video of the Conservative candidate Scheer where he is against same-sex marriage.  Actually, to some voters, it might make them vote for him. Besides, that's 14 years ago, no big deal I'd think.

Scheer gets support from openly gay candidate over same-sex marriage controversy | CBC News
Peter Zimonjic, Katie Simpson

As Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer continues to battle claims that he is intolerant of the LGBTQ2 community, an openly gay candidate for his party said today he is convinced Scheer's thinking has evolved over time.

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has been confronted with questions recently about his current beliefs regarding same-sex marriage and LGBTQ rights. (Michael Bell/Canadian Press)

"We're ready to go for the election and I wouldn't be running if I had any inkling, whatsoever, that I wasn't welcomed or my sexual orientation wasn't welcome in the Conservative Party," said Eric Duncan, Conservative candidate for Stormont, Dundas and South Glengarry.

As Scheer's Conservatives try to build momentum for the coming campaign, the Conservative leader is being forced to clarify his position not just on same-sex marriage but on another divisive social issue: abortion.

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-duncan-abortion-lgbtq2-1.5262053

I'd hope he doesn't even have to explain how he's "evolved", it still does not make sense to me. It's now the law here, doesn't really affect me. I'd vote against it though.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:56:23 am by TomSea »