Author Topic: Hurricane Dorian is at Category 2 strength on the way up the East coast...updated  (Read 15052 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Hurricane Dorian is at Category 4 strength on the way to Florida...updates
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2019, 08:30:46 am »
If the storm never came, none of the things I got in preparation would have be wasted.

The thing is that after a disaster, you never hear people complain that they were over prepared. What you hear are the people who choose to ride it out after being told to evacuate or people who were not prepared and after the fact, wish they had, often saying "I really didn't think it was going to be this bad".

That's one of the things I like about country living... Prepping is just a matter of course. I could easy live for a year on what's in the house (I know, I've seen me do it)... There's always 4 cord of wood laying around here, so heat is not ever a problem... I have lanterns and white gas, there's 150 gals of gas and 300 gals of diesel in the tanks, and usually there's another 60 gals in the pickup and another 100 or so in the transfer tank.

If I lose power right now, the only real worry I have is the fridge and freezers, and I have a generator for that... Cooking ain't a problem with the wood fired barbecue, and will be even better when the outdoor kitchen is finished on the porch... Heck, the worst trouble I would have is getting out the transfer tank for water and pumping it full from the creek... and heating water for baths.

Going off-grid can suck, but being naturally ready for it, it really ain't all that bad.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2019, 09:06:29 am »
Well put.  I don't want to give anyone any false hopes, but often model trends can continue after subsequent runs.  And if the latest shift is any indication of that, this could.....  REPEAT could ...    be a Fish storm.  But till then, I'd treat this as the monster that the NHC describes, and prepare accordingly.

Note my prior post.  And Poof, 4am advisory now has this a SC landfalling storm.  Based on path, FL would still get hurricane force winds, but this is a hell of a lot better scenario for them (if realized, and surge specifically) than it was a brief 12 hours ago.   Remmeber, this at least for now is a relatively small storm, and hurricane winds only expected generally 50 miles from center.

The way the models are trending, all the Carolinas should be additonally preparing quickly.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:12:04 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2019, 11:38:25 am »
Prayers for those in Florida. Members and guests.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2019, 12:56:05 pm »
Winds 130 MPH, moving only 10MPH.  This one is going to dump a lot of rain wherever it hits.
@Cyber Liberty

I have been through a number of hurricanes, which is why I became a "prepper".  I can live for over a year and have TV, plus radio with TV in it, short wave radio, 8 ways to cook, power as long as I want it, heating, cooling, medical supplies, purified water as long as I need it, years worth of 20 yr. food, hot coffee every morning is a must, light as long as I need it, and more.

Due to my preps, I don't have to go to grocery store when other people were cleaning it out before hurricane got there.  The only thing I bought was ice the day before it got there, and I went to a small Mexican grocery store nearby to get ice since people were buying it out in big stores. I always had my car at least half full of gas, but filled it up before people bought it out.
How to do this is in my book, below.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:56:59 pm by Victoria33 »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2019, 01:29:38 pm »
Hurricane Dorian strengthens and shifts, now expected to make landfall in Carolinas: Live updates

By
    max golembo
    andemily shapiro

Aug 31, 2019, 9:24 AM ET

more
https://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane-dorian-now-expected-miss-florida-possibly-make/story?id=65309495
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:31:01 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2019, 01:44:06 pm »
Now I'm reading the hurricane will hit the Carolinas more directly than Florida.
Hurricane Dorian's forecast shifts, putting the Carolinas and Georgia in play along with Florida
By Christina Maxouris, CNN
1 hr ago

Hurricane Dorian's forecast track has become a little murkier, with the range of possibilities for landfall now including not just Florida but also the coasts of Georgia and the Carolinas.

In fact, most models now project Dorian -- now a Category 4 storm -- staying just off Florida's coast Tuesday and Wednesday and eventually crashing into South Carolina's coast Wednesday or Thursday.

Still, there's a lot of uncertainty in the forecast, with the storm still days away from the US coast.  ...
link
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2019, 01:46:23 pm »
Yikes! My brother and his wife were supposed to vacation in Myrtle Beach next week.  Guess not.

Adding prayers for the people in NC and SC.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2019, 01:54:34 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

I have been through a number of hurricanes, which is why I became a "prepper".  I can live for over a year and have TV, plus radio with TV in it, short wave radio, 8 ways to cook, power as long as I want it, heating, cooling, medical supplies, purified water as long as I need it, years worth of 20 yr. food, hot coffee every morning is a must, light as long as I need it, and more.

Due to my preps, I don't have to go to grocery store when other people were cleaning it out before hurricane got there.  The only thing I bought was ice the day before it got there, and I went to a small Mexican grocery store nearby to get ice since people were buying it out in big stores. I always had my car at least half full of gas, but filled it up before people bought it out.
How to do this is in my book, below.

The book is great!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2019, 01:59:33 pm »
'Extremely dangerous' Hurricane Dorian's path shifts towards Georgia and Carolinas; Florida still in its sights
https://www.foxnews.com/us/hurricane-dorian-strengthens-to-category-4-storm-as-it-heads-toward-florida

National Hurricane Center
✔
@NHC_Atlantic

8/31 8 AM EDT: There's been a notable change overnight to the forecast of #Dorian after Tuesday. It should be stressed that the new forecast track does not preclude Dorian making landfall on the Florida coast, as large portions of the coast remain in the track cone of uncertainty
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2019, 02:18:02 pm »
Florida military bases move warships, aircraft ahead of Hurricane Dorian
https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-military-bases-evacuate-warships-aircraft-hurricane-dorian
Support the USO

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2019, 03:32:10 pm »
In this part of the world, the rotation of any tropical storm tries to push the storm away from a landmass. This is why they ALL make a northward turn before making landfall. If steering currents in the immediate area of the storm are weak the storm may not ever come ashore due to this factor alone.

Just for general information.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2019, 03:46:42 pm »
Looked helpful ...

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

HurricaneDorian‏ #Hurricane
Verified accountï‚™ @RedCross 

The free Red Cross Emergency App puts real-time weather alerts, open Red Cross shelter locations and #hurricane tips in the palm of your hand. Download today: http://3cu.be/shareeme  #Dorian

2:01 PM - 29 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/RedCross/status/1167180590271139842

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2019, 03:53:47 pm »
Looked helpful ...

A Red Cross app?  Does it automatically download cash from your Google Wallet?   :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2019, 03:56:21 pm »
A Red Cross app?  Does it automatically download cash from your Google Wallet?   :whistle:

I looked for it in the app store and banned it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2019, 04:07:58 pm »
I looked for it in the app store and banned it!

I always keep an 11-foot pole around for touching things like that....
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2019, 05:14:58 pm »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2019, 05:23:01 pm »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2019, 05:53:22 pm »
Hurricane Dorian nears Category 5 with 150 mph winds, Trump warns it could be one of the 'strongest' storms in decades
https://www.foxnews.com/us/hurricane-dorian-near-category-5-trump-strongest-storms-decades
Support the USO

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2019, 06:05:49 pm »
Hurricane Dorian nears Category 5 with 150 mph winds, Trump warns it could be one of the 'strongest' storms in decades
https://www.foxnews.com/us/hurricane-dorian-near-category-5-trump-strongest-storms-decades

"Cat 5?"  Uh oh....might have to edit the title again.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2019, 06:07:34 pm »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2019, 06:29:52 pm »
The book is great!
@Cyber Liberty

I wrote that book to save lives - 284 pages.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:46:15 pm by Victoria33 »

« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2019, 06:48:51 pm »
While we wait for Dorian to make up its mind ..... a little trip through the media hall of fame   88devil

Online mountaineer

« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2019, 06:50:33 pm »
A plastic bag on the head probably is the right course of action for most CNN reporters and reporterettes.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org