Author Topic: The day an IRA bomb claimed the life of Lord Mountbatten  (Read 986 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The day an IRA bomb claimed the life of Lord Mountbatten
« on: August 24, 2019, 06:51:54 pm »
The day an IRA bomb claimed the life of Lord Mountbatten
Attack on Aug. 27, 1979, occurred off the coast of Ireland on a holiday
CBC Archives · Posted: Aug 23, 2019 10:30 AM ET | Last Updated: August 23

The violence was shocking and the news was grim.

Forty years ago, a bomb exploded on a wooden fishing boat off the western coast of the Republic of Ireland, killing three people and mortally injuring a fourth on Aug. 27, 1979.

Among the dead that day was Lord Louis Mountbatten, a 79-year-old war hero, diplomat and a cousin of Queen Elizabeth.

'One of the most respected figures in Britain'

In this April 22, 1955, file photo, British Admiral Louis Mountbatten sits at his desk in full uniform for the first time at the Admirality in London. (The Associated Press)

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/archives/the-day-an-ira-bomb-claimed-the-life-of-lord-mountbatten-1.5245750

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Re: The day an IRA bomb claimed the life of Lord Mountbatten
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 06:54:19 pm »
@TomSea just wanted to see that I really like your avatar....  old sea captain....  standing by the shore..... with his cat.....  sailboat out in the distance....   

(are you spying on me???)

888mouth

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 06:55:20 pm »
Yes.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 07:25:04 pm »
Didn't realize it's been 40 years.  I remember reading some didn't like Lord Mountbatten, including certain members of the royal family.  Wasn't he accused of "giving away" India?   I think there was even a story saying he was gay and/or a pedophile.   Maybe just gossip.  But Prince Charles was very close to him and I think he saw him as more a father figure than his own father.  Anyway, I pray he rests in peace as do the others killed with him, including those two young boys.  A real tragedy.