Author Topic: Trump: ‘I Have the Absolute Right’ to Order Companies Not to Do Business with China  (Read 486 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ian Hanchett 23 Aug 2019

While speaking to reporters on Friday, President Trump stated that he has “the absolute right” to order American businesses not to do business with China.

Trump said, “Well, in 1977, we had an act passed, a national emergency act. I have the absolute right to do that. We’ll see how that goes, but I have the absolute right.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/08/23/trump-i-have-the-absolute-right-to-order-companies-not-to-do-business-with-china/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

????Not exactly sure that he is correct on this.  Perhaps he is thinking of the Commerce Clause in the Constitution?  I believe that is a provision for Congress not the President.

Secondly, he is then declaring a national emergency???  What about the national emergency he declared along the darn border??

Anyone??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online kevindavis007

Imagine if Obama had said this.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/08/23/trump-hereby-orders-us-business-out-china-can-he-do-that/?noredirect=on

Trump does not have the authority to “duly order” companies to leave China, according to Jennifer Hillman, a Georgetown University law professor and trade expert at the Council on Foreign Relations.

But under the law he cited, Trump can prevent future transfers of funds to China, she said. First, he would have to make "a lawful declaration that a national emergency exists,” she said.

Congress could terminate the declaration if it wishes, she said.

“Moreover, even if all this happened, it would not provide authority over all of the U.S. investments that have already been made in China,” Hillman said.

Other trade experts said Trump does have powerful tools at his disposal to encourage companies to leave.

They include continuing to hike tariffs on imports from China, as Trump did again on Friday. The White House could also try to punish companies by cutting them out of federal procurement deals, economists said.

Offline libertybele

Imagine if Obama had said this.

Hate to say it, but I can't imagine him saying this.  Does Trump check with his advisors or does he have a Constitutional consultant before he spews comments like this.  He may have the authority, but I am very doubtful.

Has he even considered what it would cost companies to stop doing business with China?? What if U.S. companies have subsidiary companies in China -- are they supposed to pack up and leave? Who is going to absorb the cost?  The American taxpayer again or the American consumer?

Perhaps he would be better off to ask the American public and companies to boycott China??? I think that is more plausible. 

Perhaps a trade embargo??

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Night Hides Not

Hate to say it, but I can't imagine him saying this.  Does Trump check with his advisors or does he have a Constitutional consultant before he spews comments like this.  He may have the authority, but I am very doubtful.

Has he even considered what it would cost companies to stop doing business with China?? What if U.S. companies have subsidiary companies in China -- are they supposed to pack up and leave? Who is going to absorb the cost?  The American taxpayer again or the American consumer?

Perhaps he would be better off to ask the American public and companies to boycott China??? I think that is more plausible. 

Perhaps a trade embargo??

Trump's "advisers" are nothing more than yes men...straight out of Atlas Shrugged and Mr. Thompson.

How many times has he said he's the smartest guy in the room?

If he's going to ask Americans to boycott Chinese goods, he needs to make a better, more reasoned case to the American people. A good start would be to publicize how the Chinese supply the vast majority of fentanyl that's sold in this country.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

If he's going to do it (not), I hope he at least does it with plenty of time for a serious primary challenger to arise, cause he's done.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline libertybele

Trump's "advisers" are nothing more than yes men...straight out of Atlas Shrugged and Mr. Thompson.

How many times has he said he's the smartest guy in the room?

If he's going to ask Americans to boycott Chinese goods, he needs to make a better, more reasoned case to the American people. A good start would be to publicize how the Chinese supply the vast majority of fentanyl that's sold in this country.

He did touch on the fentanyl issue.  Yes, he can ask American to boycott Chinese goods. IF the majority of Americans tried to NOT buy anything made in China perhaps it would open their eyes to realizing how many products that they purchase on a daily basis or have in their homes that are made in China.   

Fentanyl is used by the medical community.  Last medical procedure I had I was absolutely horrified that they used fentanyl to anesthetize me.  Fentanyl is very potent, effective and cheap.  It can also be very deadly.

So ... with limiting opioids and now fentanyl what are the surgeons and doctors supposed to do?  What it boils down to is many Americans who need pain relief aren't going to get the relief that they deserve and need!!!   9999hair out0000

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
If he's going to do it (not), I hope he at least does it with plenty of time for a serious primary challenger to arise, cause he's done.

Lots of companies purchase parts from China.  Is he going to close down companies that employ Americans?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Maybe large corporations can shoulder this but what about small business?  Who rely on getting the best deal for parts?  Is he going to give small business welfare as well as farming welfare?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.