Author Topic: Iran Warns U.S. against Seizing Tanker  (Read 308 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Iran Warns U.S. against Seizing Tanker
« on: August 19, 2019, 03:26:15 pm »
Iran Warns U.S. against Seizing Tanker
by Naharnet Newsdesk

Tehran said Monday it has warned its arch-foe Washington against attempting to seize an Iranian tanker that has set sail from waters off Gibraltar after being impounded for six weeks.

Iran had been locked in a high-seas standoff with U.S. ally Britain since Royal Marines seized the tanker off the coast of the British overseas territory Gibraltar on July 4 on suspicion it was shipping oil to Syria in breach of EU sanctions.

Little more than two weeks later, Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps impounded the British-flagged Stena Impero tanker in strategic Gulf waters in what Britain called a tit-for-tat move.

Read more at: http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/263853-iran-warns-u-s-against-seizing-tanker

So, is it possibly, we could see more action on this front? It wouldn't surprise me if it was being considered. Stay tuned.

Offline thackney

Re: Iran Warns U.S. against Seizing Tanker
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 03:41:33 pm »
Iranian Tanker Heads to Greece After Leaving Gibraltar
https://www.wsj.com/articles/iranian-tanker-heads-to-greece-after-leaving-gibraltar-11566211250

The Iranian tanker released by Gibraltar was sailing to Greece, according to ship-tracking data, as Tehran warned the U.S. against targeting the vessel after a last-minute attempt to seize it in the British overseas territory.

The Adrian Darya 1, previously called the Grace 1, was moving eastward toward Kalamata, Greece on Monday and is expected to arrive there on Sunday, according to shipping tracker MarineTraffic.

A senior Greek merchant marine ministry official said, “We’ve been informed of the ship’s possible call in Kalamata, but it’s not there yet and we don’t know whether or when it will arrive. There have been no instructions by the foreign ministry or any other government authority to hold the tanker or take any other action so far.”

A local shipping-services provider, who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter, said the vessel planned to get fresh supplies and a new crew while in Kalamata.

The shipping-services provider, who was approached by a broker representing the Adrian Darya 1’s owner, said the vessel was seeking options to also unload its cargo to another vessel offshore Kalamata. He said local authorities had warned local agents to check the final destination of the crude oil to comply with European Union sanctions against Syria.

The tanker left Gibraltar’s waters around 11 p.m. local time Sunday after the territory’s Justice Ministry rejected a warrant from the U.S. Justice Department seeking its seizure for alleged violations of American sanctions. Gibraltar officials said the territory follows the European Union’s laws, not the U.S.’s.....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 05:19:54 pm »
I rather doubt the US is a serious threat to their tanker.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 06:27:10 pm »
I rather doubt the US is a serious threat to their tanker.

U.S. Justice Department seeking its seizure for alleged violations of American sanctions.

You do not believe this was a serious attempt?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 06:39:50 pm »
You do not believe this was a serious attempt?

I stand corrected.  I would add that seeking the seizure is not quite the same as enforcing it, but I was not aware of the attempt.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: