Author Topic: Trump calls for more mental hospitals to keep 'crazy people' away from guns  (Read 2785 times)

Online The_Reader_David

Rethink that.

Oh, come now, he's being waggish about the fact that naturally distributed continuously variable characteristics are normally distributed (and thus mean = median), so that any on any naturally distributed characteristic half the population is below average because definitionally half the population is below median.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Oh, come now, he's being waggish about the fact that naturally distributed continuously variable characteristics are normally distributed (and thus mean = median), so that any on any naturally distributed characteristic half the population is below average because definitionally half the population is below median.

The key phrase there is "normally distributed." 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What I have noticed in Texas, which may not be the case everywhere, is what happens to those that can't afford private psychiatric care.
They will get help, get meds, become stable, and then be dropped off in the nearest city closest to where they live.
They are told follow up with a doctor at a certain date and time.
Next, before this happens, they run out of meds, and are stuck downtown somewhere in unfamiliar surroundings, and all that treatment before is gone out the window.
Next thing you know, they're homeless, on the street.
My thing is not just treating them in a facility and letting them go, but to follow up after they have been released.
(1) Did the goal of treating and releasing them work? In these cases, no?
(2) Was it necessary to put them in a facility in the first place, or could it have been done via outpatient, even with visits to the person's home, if necessary?
I don't know, maybe.
(3) Follow up.
I agree. It isn't unusual for a patient to start feeling better and stop taking their meds. They're "cured", at least in their own mind, whether those meds are antibiotics or psychoactive drugs, the effect is often a relapse. Without follow up, that could be a common occurrence, and for some meds, quitting them without medical supervision is what brings on the suicidal/homicidal ideation.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Exactly. Half the people out there are below average height, weight, intelligence, etc. It's a statistical thing, an artifact of using averages to normalize a population. WIth the exception of those who fall exactly on the average, half are above those parameters, too. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis