Author Topic: Mexico’s avocado war may be linked to gang-turf massacre that left 19 dead – New York Post  (Read 270 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mexico’s avocado war may be linked to gang-turf massacre that left 19 dead – New York Post

The gruesome display of 19 bodies scattered in Mexico may be linked to a vicious war, not over drugs but avocados, according to a report.

Mexican police on Thursday discovered nine bodies hanging from a bridge, seven more slaughtered and another three dumped in what authorities say was a gang-turf massacre in the western state of Michoacán.

Falko Ernst, an International Crisis Group researcher who studies cartels, said the fight over the region’s billion-dollar avocado industry was likely the largest factor in the bloodbath.

Read more at: https://www.mexicodailynews.com/2019/08/13/mexicos-avocado-war-may-be-linked-to-gang-turf-massacre-that-left-19-dead-new-york-post/

That would be amazing but plausible if that violence per last week was not over drugs but indeed, avocados but the oil stealing that goes on down there shows, a lot of the violence is just beyond what we are thinking about.  Enjoy your guacamole.  I didn't even post that story from last week where bodies were left hanging as messages in the crime wars.

Also, they seemed to have had some violence problems in only regards to the street vendors and open markets there.

Offline PeteS in CA

From stats I saw several weeks ago, the vast majority of avocados used in the US - besides guac, avocado toast evidently is a major fad currently - come from Mexico. I'm not a fan of avocados or guacamole.

Decades ago, Mexico's "leaders" effectively said "Screw the Yankees" and let the drug cartels use Mexico as a conduit. Somehow Mexico's "leaders" were too blitheringly stupid to foresee that those drug thugs would turn on Mexico and turn it into a crime Hell-hole.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline TomSea

From stats I saw several weeks ago, the vast majority of avocados used in the US - besides guac, avocado toast evidently is a major fad currently - come from Mexico. I'm not a fan of avocados or guacamole.

Decades ago, Mexico's "leaders" effectively said "Screw the Yankees" and let the drug cartels use Mexico as a conduit. Somehow Mexico's "leaders" were too blitheringly stupid to foresee that those drug thugs would turn on Mexico and turn it into a crime Hell-hole.

Silvia Longmire Curbelo of Florida, an expert I value said back around 2011 or so, the real reason the Cartels came into more power was that the PRI (and by the way, I lived for a good amount of time near El Paso, in New Mexico) Partido Revolucionario Institucional -Institutional Revolutionary Party ruled with corruption but what it was, was even back then and specifically to the '80s, the then-Sinaloa cartel basically got a break from the government if they gave the government a cut (something like this).

Then, Mexico finally gets free elections and this was a cause for joy but the elections in 2000 put other people in power, the Cartels no longer had that deal with the government so starting then, is when the real disintegration of the system started.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

See, even if this is from a few years ago, basic truths still prevail, the hot spot might be one place today, let's say Acapulco but in 6 months, the area that is being warred over might be somewhere else. Baja California del Sur had pretty much been immune before from the drug war but it's gotten violent in recent times.

So, I put this in briefing room TV in the past. It's already in this website. 

@corbe   As long as Sylvia comes up once again, her last name is Longmeir-Curbelo. Anyway, I really admire her and in the past, when she had her blog 10 years ago or so, a lot of us were able to speak with her largely one on one.  Now, I don't know much of what she is up to and I don't really need to know.

She is speaking in Southern California here. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:46:32 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Historically and bottomline and keeping it simple, it would be said in the past, the PRI government favored the Sinaloa Cartel for whomever was running it back then.

DEA agent, Kiki Camarena got killed back in 1985 and Reagan had to put the squeeze on the Mexican government to aid in the search for justice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiki_Camarena

But now, back to the more present time, the PRI got voted out, the PAN National Action Party came into power... and previous deals were pretty much gone.

I think Sylvia basically tells us what happened. It's hard to see Mexico returning into anything resembling calm for decades. I don't see how they could and the system has already been entrenched in corruption.

I'll say in the '90s, in the southern state of Chiapas the Zapatistas came into power, guerillas, I don't know if they are actually Marxist or Communist but they have a largely self governing autonomous area in that state. That seems to be the safest part of Mexico in my view but I'm no expert. Zapatista of course modeled after the revolutionary hero, Emiliano Zapata.  Their thing could simply be rights for the Indigenous peoples for all I know.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:54:21 pm by TomSea »