Author Topic: The world's first solar road has turned out to be a colossal failure ...  (Read 876 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

The world's first solar road has turned out to be a colossal failure that's falling apart and doesn't generate enough energy, according to a report

Solar roads were promised to be one of the biggest unprecedented revolutions of our time, not just in the field of renewable energy but in the energy sector in general.

Covering 2,800 square meters, Normandy's solar road was the first in the world, inaugurated in 2016 in Tourouvre-au-Perche, France.

Despite the hype surrounding solar roads, two years after this one was introduced as a trial, the project has turned out to be a colossal failure — it's neither efficient nor profitable, according to a report by Le Monde.

The unfortunate truth is that this road is in such a poor state, it isn't even worth repairing — last May, a 100-meter stretch had deteriorated to such a state, that it had to be demolished.

According to Le Monde's report, various components of the road don't fit properly — panels have come loose and some of the solar panels have broken into fragments.

I cannot fathom the depth of moronicity necessary for anyone to think this could work.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:55:18 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It took me a while to figure out what is the point? Finally I came across an article that cleared it up. Apparently these roads would have stripes which light up, so no paint is required. Lots of Global Warming stuff, so these roads would not radiate heat back into the atmosphere. But the main issue is that they are intended to generate solar energy into the American electric grid replacing oil or coal generated energy.

There is some vague reference to them being programmable, and that they may be able to communicate with futuristic vehicles, although this not really fleshed out as to exactly what they mean. I assume they are referring to driverless vehicles. The concept is vague and untested but anything you can stamp 'Global Warming' on will almost always get government funding. It sounds to me like that is what this is all about.

It is hard to imagine normal traffic, heavy trucks and autos, driving on solar panels without destroying them. But, they think they can do it. Also, it is not clearly explained how they deal with shaded roads, snow covered roads, continuous cloud cover in winter, debris in the road, or roads with perpetual heavy backed up traffic, which would not allow sunlight to reach the panels. Also they would have to be cleaned somehow to clear the rubber coating they will necessarily accumulate from the tires.

All I can say is ... Weird.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:44:10 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

All I can say is ... Weird.
All I can say is ... it could never be economical.

The French waste their money much more efficiently building say the Eiffel Tower.  At least they can make some money from the tourists.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Solar road. huh. They got enough "migrants" around...

If you get my drift.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Funny part of an article I read about this said that not only is the road falling apart, not only does it produce 50% of projected output because of debris and breakage, but the punchline was that the locals were stealing the panels to use them for their own purposes. LOL

This has to be one of the least thought out projects in history. It seems everyone was drunk with how Great it was going to be, and not one single person involved thought about what could go wrong. Nobody did a "What about" analysis.

What about this?
What about that?
What if people walk away with the whole road?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline thackney

generate solar energy into the American electric grid replacing oil or coal generated energy.

The oil part of that would be rather easy.  Very little power is generated from oil.  Much of which is classified as petroleum is actually petroleum coke, a coal-like substance left over from refining fuels like gasoline and diesel from heavier crude oils.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:55:57 am by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer