Author Topic: State-level average annual gasoline expenditures per capita ranged from $400 to $1,400  (Read 1350 times)

Offline thackney

State-level average annual gasoline expenditures per capita ranged from $400 to $1,400
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=40893
AUGUST 14, 2019

Data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) new Key Statistics and Indicators section of the State Energy Data System (SEDS) show that nominal per capita U.S. motor gasoline expenditures (the amount of money spent to consume motor gasoline in the United States) averaged $1,072 in 2017, an 11% increase from 2016 and the first annual increase since its peak of more than $1,500 in 2012. Wyoming had the largest average motor gasoline expenditures per capita of any state in 2017 at $1,441, while New York had the smallest of any state at $708. Average expenditures in the District of Columbia were lower than all states at $395.

Total U.S. motor gasoline expenditures were $348 billion in 2017, an increase of 12% from the previous year. The increase was primarily caused by an increase in the U.S. average price of motor gasoline, which more than offset a 0.2% decrease in U.S. gasoline consumption from the previous year. The U.S. price of motor gasoline in 2017 averaged $2.44 per gallon (not including local taxes), a 12% increase from 2016.

Accounting for general inflation, U.S. motor gasoline expenditures per capita were relatively low in the late 1980s and throughout the 1990s before increasing to a high of $1,650 in 2008. U.S. motor gasoline expenditures decreased each year from 2011 through 2016 before increasing slightly in 2017.

States such as Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Delaware, and Montana have significantly higher motor gasoline expenditures per capita than the U.S. average. These states tend to have relatively small, less dense populations and less access to alternative forms of transportation that are common in urban areas. These states are also among the highest in vehicle miles traveled per capita. Individuals in Wyoming spent more for motor gasoline in every year since 1970, the earliest year EIA has recorded, except in 2014 when individuals in North Dakota spent more.

People in more densely populated areas, such as the District of Columbia, New York, Rhode Island, and Illinois tend to spend less in total for motor gasoline. These areas have more access to alternative modes of transportation and mass transit, and dense development makes walking and biking more feasible, which reduces motor gasoline consumption per capita. These factors are especially evident in the District of Columbia, which has seen significantly lower motor gasoline consumption per capita since the early 2000s with additions to its public transportation infrastructure.

Differences in motor gasoline prices across states tend to have a limited effect on relative patterns of motor gasoline consumption. Hawaii, despite typically having the highest average motor gasoline prices, is near the national average for motor gasoline expenditures per capita. In contrast, Alabama and Mississippi, the states with the two lowest average motor gasoline prices in 2017, are both among the top 10 states with the highest motor gasoline expenditures per capita.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This looks like an article the libs could use to pummel some states with for excess gas usage.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

This looks like an article the libs could use to pummel some states with for excess gas usage.

You mean excess gas tax remittances?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline rustynail

With The Crash© gas will be cheap but few will be buying.

You mean excess gas tax remittances?
That wouldn't work out for the pummeling.

A state like New York which has one half the per capita annual gas expenditure than Wyoming but has almost twice the amount of per gallon state taxes on gasoline.

And New York would certainly be quiet on why they need the high per gallon gas tax revenue as it should be for building and maintaining public roads.  Yet the 114,000 miles of public roads in New York (or 5.7 miles per 1000 people) is so much smaller per capita than 33,000 miles of Wyoming (or 57 miles per 1000 people). 

Or put another way:  Why does New York require 10x per mile/person the tax revenue to maintain roads compared to Wyoming?  I doubt an average New Yorker drives 10x as much as a citizen of Wyoming.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How do you propose to reduce that? shrink the state? Change the length of the statute mile? Wind powered cars?

It takes what it takes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

How do you propose to reduce that? shrink the state? Change the length of the statute mile? Wind powered cars?

It takes what it takes.
I don't propose anything.

A graph that shows a person using up more of the evil hydrocarbon in conservative states is what it's about.

If one goes no further and they get away with it, they have accomplished their objective.  Remember it is about evil hydrocarbons and angelic mass transportation.

Offline Smokin Joe

I don't propose anything.

A graph that shows a person using up more of the evil hydrocarbon in conservative states is what it's about.

If one goes no further and they get away with it, they have accomplished their objective.  Remember it is about evil hydrocarbons and angelic mass transportation.
Just as it takes money to make money, it takes hydrocarbons to produce hydrocarbons.

North Dakota produces the second highest amount of petroleum among the States, and we have winters that make most of the country look tropical.
Major towns are about 130 miles apart.
There is virtually no mass transportation outside the larger towns, and even that is limited, so if you want to go anywhere (try walking a quarter mile in -30 F weather with a 30 MPH wind), you drive.
Or you just might die.
As for the rest of the country, I really don't give a rat's ass what they think.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Just as it takes money to make money, it takes hydrocarbons to produce hydrocarbons.

North Dakota produces the second highest amount of petroleum among the States, and we have winters that make most of the country look tropical.
Major towns are about 130 miles apart.
There is virtually no mass transportation outside the larger towns, and even that is limited, so if you want to go anywhere (try walking a quarter mile in -30 F weather with a 30 MPH wind), you drive.
Or you just might die.
As for the rest of the country, I really don't give a rat's ass what they think.
Yep, and my Wyoming son is even more remote

Online Hoodat

Word.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

Yep, and my Wyoming son is even more remote
Yep, but they even have a smidgen better weather--still bad enough to be deadly, too.

(Sixth largest oil producing State, too, and that doesn't mention Natural Gas, uranium, or Coal)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:30:09 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis