Author Topic: Justice Department Files to Dissolve Immigration Judges' Union  (Read 1220 times)

rangerrebew

Justice Department Files to Dissolve Immigration Judges' Union
Why were they permitted to unionize in the first place?

By Dan Cadman on August 13, 2019

The Department of Justice (DOJ) has filed a petition with the Federal Labor Relations Authority seeking to obtain a finding in concurrence that immigration judges — a part of DOJ's Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) — are management officials, and therefore ineligible under federal law to establish or maintain a union. A copy of the petition is available on Law360 (behind a paywall).

This is an important question, because immigration judges formed a union, the National Association of Immigration Judges (NAIJ), decades ago. The NAIJ has become increasingly active as it fights recent attorney general directives covering their work and productivity. NAIJ representatives, such as president of the union, Ashley Tabador, argue that these directives impinge on their independence. Others, such as myself, believe they restore accountability to a group of individuals who, no matter how they style themselves, are executive branch employees who have too long had little or no oversight, resulting in prolonged and often needless continuances and adjournments and low case closure rates, at least among some judges, thus helping to contribute to unconscionable backlogs in the nation's immigration court system.

https://cis.org/Cadman/Justice-Department-Files-Dissolve-Immigration-Judges-Union

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Justice Department Files to Dissolve Immigration Judges' Union
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 11:08:45 pm »
I hope they push this one through to the proper resolution...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 12:11:41 am »
Is this because of the broad that turned an illegal loose through the back door of her Courtroom to avoid ICE Agents?  I hear her pay was restored today.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 04:19:17 am »
Immigration judges have a union? 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 04:24:49 am »

News to me.  I didn't know any Judges have unions at all.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 12:45:36 pm »
Created under Carter's DOJ

https://www.naij-usa.org/about

Maybe Barr has found out this is the root of a lot of problems we have experienced.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 12:47:16 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 01:44:37 pm »
Created under Carter's DOJ

https://www.naij-usa.org/about

Maybe Barr has found out this is the root of a lot of problems we have experienced.

I had no idea.  Yes, it sounds like a big problem.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 02:08:11 pm »
There should be no such thing as a union in ANY government service. Period!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 03:16:51 pm »
There should be no such thing as a union in ANY government service. Period!

Even FDR was against collective bargaining for National employees.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 12:41:57 pm »
Another article exposing the problem:  Immigration judges are NOT judges but are Executive branch employees who wish to be independent of their boss who runs the Executive branch,

Immigration 'judges': Who judges them?
The U.S. functionaries known as “immigration judges” are, in fact, employees of the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), which is part of the Department of Justice (DOJ). The problem today is that they insist on being something well beyond that -- judges with zero accountability. This has put them squarely in conflict with the Trump administration.

Immigration judges are not independent, like real judges, but neutral, in that they do not represent the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which brings cases to the EOIR. Aliens may not bring cases independently to the EOIR, but only in response to an action taken against them by DHS.

Immigration judges are executive branch employees, and are therefore subject to the supervision of the President of the United States or his appointees. Executive branch employees are supervised, reviewed, evaluated and managed by a numerous levels of management. No one in the executive branch exercises independent judgment that is not reviewed by another executive branch employee, including the president himself.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/08/immigration_judges_who_judges_them.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 01:33:17 pm »
Another article exposing the problem:  Immigration judges are NOT judges but are Executive branch employees who wish to be independent of their boss who runs the Executive branch,

Immigration 'judges': Who judges them?

That's interesting.  By extension, their function should be to uphold the laws of the United States.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 02:06:37 pm »
That's interesting.  By extension, their function should be to uphold the laws of the United States.

I assume they swear an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States, like others in high office.  I'm also sure that is honored in the breach as well.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 11:25:03 pm »
I assume they swear an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States, like others in high office.  I'm also sure that is honored in the breach as well.
Found this document which contains this testimony by an immigration judge before the Senate:

Immigration Judges take an oath of office to be impartial decision makers bound by the Constitution and laws of the United States.

In reading this document, which is relatively recent testimony of May 7, 2019, there are problems highlighted that define several problem areas of the current immigration judges' practice.  Most appear to be a whining about the caseload and how a judge's performance is impacted adversely due to outside factors.

The entire document reeks of self-interest wherein an appointed member of the Executive Branch is attempting to explain her job is similar to a judge in the Judicial Branch and Immigration 'judges' should be treated as judges in Judicial.

Barr has apparently zeroed in on the big problem with handling of immigration cases with his effort to eliminate this union and get these people accountable to him.

The Deep State in all its glory is at stake, and we need to drive that stake through its heart once and for all.

https://www.naij-usa.org/images/uploads/publications/NAIJ_Written_Testimony_Before_Senate_Subcommittee%2C_May_2019.pdf
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:08:49 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 11:55:26 pm »
Seems the best way to start is to strip the word "judge" from their titles.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 01:10:35 am »
Seems the best way to start is to strip the word "judge" from their titles.
Yes, it appears they have swilled their heads with the title until they consider themselves real judges.

What they are actually are administrative process officers.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 01:11:39 am »
Yes, it appears they have swilled their heads with the title until they consider themselves real judges.

What they are actually are administrative process officers.

Otherwise known as clerks.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 01:35:39 am »
Otherwise known as clerks.
Yep, clerks who have built themselves up over the years, so high they believe they are unaccountable to anyone but themselves.

Then along comes the exam by proctologist William Barr.