Author Topic: Washington Post's Vargas Disappointed Over Latest Poll Supporting Redskins' Nickname  (Read 455 times)

rangerrebew

Washington Post's Vargas Disappointed Over Latest Poll Supporting Redskins' Nickname
By Jay Maxson | August 11, 2019 10:00 PM EDT

A new survey of Native American opinions on the Washington Redskins' nickname once again demonstrates underwhelming opposition to the moniker and just how out of touch the so-called "mainstream media" really is. The new survey duplicates the Washington Post's 2016 poll finding that 90 percent of Natives are not offended by the Redskins' nickname ― much to the disappointment of writers at the Post. Like Theresa Vargas, who insists the name is a dictionary-defined slur, no matter how many people accept the word.

The Post polled 504 self-identified Native Americans and found universal acceptance of Indian nicknames. A 2016 Post poll and a 2008 Annenberg Public Policy Center poll told the same story. "I know, I know. We’ve all already given a lot of emotional energy to this issue, and three years ago, we agreed, whether or not we said it, to move on," wrote a disappointed Vargas.

Vargas said she spent a lot of time writing about this debate, "and I can tell you that I was as surprised as anyone by the poll’s results. I would have bet my car that over the years attitudes had changed, at least a little."

Source URL: https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/jay-maxson/2019/08/11/washington-posts-vargas-disappointed-over-latest-poll-supporting

rangerrebew

This just proves why those lazy, drunken Indians need the democrat party!  They aren't smart enough to think for  themselves so they need someone like Vargas to think for them. wink777

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Like the UND's Fighting Sioux (which the NCAA finally forced the university to change), Some people are bound and determined to be offended for those who aren't, maybe because they think they are more intelligent and understand what they perceive to be an insult.

I wonder if that had anything to do with the Washington Senators going away....

...or maybe no self respecting baseball player would want to play for a team named after a bunch of crooks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:00:38 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
dictionary-defined
Any idiot can publish a dictionary.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Did the Post  'survey" include calling Liz Warren.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Did the Post  'survey" include calling Liz Warren.

Yes, but she only got .1% of a vote.

I'm waiting for the day when the left starts complaining that it's racist that American sports teams have eliminated any reference to Native Americans. "Why do people of Greek heritage get recognized with names like Spartans and Trojans, white people with the "Fighting Irish", but nothing for Native Americans? You are writing them out of existence! Even pigs get a team -- the Razorbacks."

"White America believes that Native Americans are less deserving of representation than pigs!"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:34:29 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LMAO

The lifeblood of progressivism is victimhood. When the people who this team name was supposed to offend are not offended, that’s a small shot at progressivism

A while back, I read an article where the real Pocahontas’s  descendants  weren’t offended by people calling Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas. Instead, the media gives weight to Elizabeth Warren being offended
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

rangerrebew

The lifeblood of progressivism is victimhood. When the people who this team name was supposed to offend are not offended, that’s a small shot at progressivism

No, no.  This is a MAJOR offense since so many people are now aware of the flaming wreckage of this study. ***hair on fire