Author Topic: The Second Amendment solution to gun violence  (Read 1299 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The Second Amendment solution to gun violence
« on: August 07, 2019, 10:46:59 pm »
(CNN) — The modest proposal I'm going to make here may come off as absurd.

[snip]

That's why I want to share a solution that should resolve the logjam blocking sensible reform of gun ownership in this country — one that by all rights should get overwhelming support among American patriots of both parties. I call it the "Military Induction for Licensing, Instruction and Training In Arms" Act — the MILITIA Act for short.

[snip]

The proposal is simple: Anyone purchasing a gun should be required to enlist for military reserve service, spanning the entire period of their gun ownership.

Under this proposal, being granted a handgun license would simultaneously and automatically register you to serve as a reservist in the Armed Forces branch of your choice — it's that simple. And it should be that simple ... because it's what the framers intended.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/08/07/opinions/second-amendment-solution-to-gun-violence-yang/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F%3Fadsqa%3Dappname%253Dsqa%26cid%3Dsamsung-quick-access
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: The Second Amendment solution to gun violence
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:47:41 pm »
I think he's correct - it sounds absurd.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 01:11:11 am »
Work with local sheriffs to form local militias.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 01:32:52 am »
Work with local sheriffs to form local militias.
Makes more sense to me, but being in the militia (army) wasn't a requirement for the people having arms, having a standing army was a reason for the people to have them.
From Federalist 46:
Let a regular army, fully equal to the resources of the country, be formed; and let it be entirely at the devotion of the federal government; still it would not be going too far to say, that the State governments, with the people on their side, would be able to repel the danger. The highest number to which, according to the best computation, a standing army can be carried in any country, does not exceed one hundredth part of the whole number of souls; or one twenty-fifth part of the number able to bear arms. This proportion would not yield, in the United States, an army of more than twenty-five or thirty thousand men. To these would be opposed a militia amounting to near half a million of citizens with arms in their hands, officered by men chosen from among themselves, fighting for their common liberties, and united and conducted by governments possessing their affections and confidence. It may well be doubted, whether a militia thus circumstanced could ever be conquered by such a proportion of regular troops. Those who are best acquainted with the last successful resistance of this country against the British arms, will be most inclined to deny the possibility of it. Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 01:38:54 am »
Makes more sense to me, but being in the militia (army) wasn't a requirement for the people having arms, having a standing army was a reason for the people to have them.
From Federalist 46:

Oh, I understand that.  Given the situation we find ourselves in, it would eliminate that particular argument: "it's only applies to being in a militia".

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 02:16:52 am »
Mark me down for mandatory national service.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 02:52:50 am »
From Federalist 46:

Yep, during the Founding Era the term “militia” referred to the citizenry generally, or at least to all able-bodied men between certain ages. This CNN article is just an attempt to limit guns to citizens which in it's day owning a gun was a given for putting food on the table and didn't require a bunch of red tape, in fact none was required.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 04:25:29 am »
(CNN) — The modest proposal I'm going to make here may come off as absurd.

[snip]

That's why I want to share a solution that should resolve the logjam blocking sensible reform of gun ownership in this country — one that by all rights should get overwhelming support among American patriots of both parties. I call it the "Military Induction for Licensing, Instruction and Training In Arms" Act — the MILITIA Act for short.

[snip]

The proposal is simple: Anyone purchasing a gun should be required to enlist for military reserve service, spanning the entire period of their gun ownership.

Under this proposal, being granted a handgun license would simultaneously and automatically register you to serve as a reservist in the Armed Forces branch of your choice — it's that simple. And it should be that simple ... because it's what the framers intended.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/08/07/opinions/second-amendment-solution-to-gun-violence-yang/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F%3Fadsqa%3Dappname%253Dsqa%26cid%3Dsamsung-quick-access

Well, I'm not entirely sure that's what the founders intended.

I do wonder, though, would they be more appalled at "a handgun license", or "being granted"?

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 04:34:44 am »
Well, I'm not entirely sure that's what the founders intended.

I do wonder, though, would they be more appalled at "a handgun license", or "being granted"?
We're already a degree of separation from the seminal argument when we debate about being licensed to  exercise a fundamental Civil Right.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 06:39:00 am »
We're already a degree of separation from the seminal argument when we debate about being licensed to  exercise a fundamental Civil Right.

Would be better in my mind to have gun safety/hunter safety/survival training as a series of junior and high school classes - Like it used to be.

I am not against a 'license' that proves a level of expertise... What for, I don't know...  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 06:55:28 am »
Would be better in my mind to have gun safety/hunter safety/survival training as a series of junior and high school classes - Like it used to be.

I am not against a 'license' that proves a level of expertise... What for, I don't know...  :shrug:
Have firearms safety and standard and advanced first aid and CPR, along with driver's education,  to round out the year. Teach kids things that can save their (or someone else's) lives.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 06:57:58 am »
Have firearms safety and standard and advanced first aid and CPR, along with driver's education,  to round out the year. Teach kids things that can save their (or someone else's) lives.

That's right.