Author Topic: The Great American Oil And Natural Gas Pipeline Boom  (Read 686 times)

Offline thackney

The Great American Oil And Natural Gas Pipeline Boom
« on: August 06, 2019, 04:43:40 pm »
The Great American Oil And Natural Gas Pipeline Boom
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judeclemente/2019/08/06/the-great-american-oil-and-natural-gas-pipeline-boom
Aug 6, 2019

Despite some clickbait headlines trying to convince you otherwise, the U.S. oil and natural gas pipeline build-out continues apace

This makes sense: since 2008, U.S. crude oil and gas production have respectively boomed 150% to 12.3 million b/d and 60% to 90 Bcf/d.

Pipelines get approved in the first place because rising usage demands it.

Originating in Texas, we track nearly 40 pipelines covering 11,000 miles either being built or in pre-construction development.

Just a few days ago the DC Circuit Court of Appeals upheld FERC orders approving the 197-mile, 1.7 Bcf/d Atlantic Sunrise Project (connecting PA gas to mid-Atlantic markets), denying numerous objections from anti-gas environmental groups.

The court backed FERC's position of market need for the pipeline, specifically citing evidence that there were contracts for 100% of the capacity.

Indeed, very quietly, the International Energy Agency reports that the U.S. led the world in 2018 for new oil demand (+540,000 b/d) and new gas demand (+7.8 Bcf/d)....

...The EIA is currently tracking over 160 new U.S. gas pipeline projects, with a staggering 113 Bcf/d of capacity....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: The Great American Oil And Natural Gas Pipeline Boom
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 08:50:36 pm »
As I understand, these pipelines are expanding existing pipelines or are new pipelines.

No one would be doing this construction if one did not have a long timeframe in mind of utilizing them.

I think most would be for +20 years.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 09:08:29 pm »
As I understand, these pipelines are expanding existing pipelines or are new pipelines.

No one would be doing this construction if one did not have a long timeframe in mind of utilizing them.

I think most would be for +20 years.

I would agree, but the economics for the decision are likely based on a  much shorter time period for payout.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 09:24:42 pm »
I would agree, but the economics for the decision are likely based on a  much shorter time period for payout.
Undoubtedly.  I would say less than ten years, perhaps as low as 5.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington