Author Topic: The Trump gun trajectory: From banning assault weapons to NRA endorsement  (Read 154 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Trump gun trajectory: From banning assault weapons to NRA endorsement
by Rob Crilly
 | August 05, 2019 01:36 PM

"I generally oppose gun control, wrote Donald Trump in his 2000 book, The America We Deserve, “but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun.”

It was an uncontroversial view for a freewheeling New Yorker, who moved in the same circles as Bill and Hillary Clinton, and liked to speak his mind.

Twelve years later, even after he had begun his shift to the right, Trump endorsed Barack Obama’s push for tougher gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting that cost the lives of 20 children and six members of staff.

“President Obama spoke for me and every American in his remarks in Connecticut,” he tweeted.

But his line shifted as he joined the Republican race for president in 2015 and in office has fluctuated at times between an apparent instinct for action after mass shootings tempered by an embrace of conservative causes. Those views are back in the spotlight after another weekend of gun violence.

“I am a Second amendment person,” he declared in early 2016 during a Republican presidential debate, before claiming that armed bystanders could have limited the death toll in San Bernadino, where 14 people were shot dead a month earlier.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/the-trump-gun-trajectory-from-banning-assault-weapons-to-nra-endorsement
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I think his true feelings mirror what he said in 2000. His and the lefts views on guns are the same.

IMHO he's gonna go back to that kind of sentiment in his second term when reelection doesn't matter.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online libertybele

I think his true feelings mirror what he said in 2000. His and the lefts views on guns are the same.

IMHO he's gonna go back to that kind of sentiment in his second term when reelection doesn't matter.

I really wish you hadn't said that, but I couldn't agree more and that has been my feeling and fear for quite sometime.  We will perhaps see the real DJT if re-elected. Certainly can't vote DEM and no one else is coming forward.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
He’s had a similar trajectory on other major issues. He used to be ‘very pro-choice,’ ‘very liberal when it comes to health care,’ and called Romney’s self-deportation policy ‘mean spirited.’
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.