Author Topic: Conrad Black: The inconvenient truth about Trump — he's doing what he said he would  (Read 270 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Conrad Black: The inconvenient truth about Trump — he's doing what he said he would

To the extent to which his record in office conforms to pre-electoral promises, Trump’s record has been the best of any U.S. president since Calvin Coolidge

In The Globe and Mail last month, one Ian McGugan wrote a piece that was titled, very aptly but probably not in the way intended, “Dumb and Dumbest.” He quotes Simon Wren-Lewis, a quasi-Marxist economist and economic advisor to the British Labour Party (deep) shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, an authoritarian quasi-Marxist, and to his leader, the antediluvian, anti-Semitic national embarrassment Jeremy Corbyn. Other than as a former Oxford academic economist, McGugan did not introduce the source of the sage question that inspired his think-piece: “Why are we governed by incompetents?” McGugan helpfully chimed in that in “a growing number of countries, the only qualification for high office appears to be a complete lack of qualifications.” The next apercu was inexorable: “The most glaring example of a dolt-in-chief is Donald Trump. He is averaging a dozen false or misleading claims a day, according to a tally compiled by the Washington Post.”

The Washington Post abandoned that nonsensical claim to count the president’s liberties with the truth 18 months ago, and it was counting every instance of Trump’s casual hyperbole as if it were a direct violation of his Constitutional oath. In fact, by the ultimate litmus test of the integrity of holders of high political office, the extent to which his record in office conforms to pre-electoral promises, Trump’s record has been the best of any U.S. president since Calvin Coolidge (1923-1929), who promised, and did, nothing, in the piping days of American isolationism, Prohibition and complete absence of requirements for collateral in borrowing to buy equities. (This was a bi-partisan policy trifecta that eventually gave us Al Capone, Hitler, the Great Depression and the Second World War.)...

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad-black-the-inconvenient-truth-about-trump-hes-doing-what-he-said-he-would?fbclid=IwAR3tCtwz-u6ayIwl6XIrmzSLRzY1tgmph6trFwgHYqs5L8uNsrBIIDPW91k
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:24:48 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
To the extent to which his record in office conforms to pre-electoral promises, Trump’s record has been the best of any U.S. president since Calvin Coolidge

Which is why I will vote for him in 2020 for the first time.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Which is why I will vote for him in 2020 for the first time.

The smartest move he made in the 2016 campaign was to identify publicly the right people to recommend judicial nominees.  For all his faults, the hope that he might appoint the right people to the courts was enough to sway some conservative fence-sitters.  Of course, at the time, there was no way to be sure he'd actually do that.

But since his election, he's come through in absolute spades, and backed up that promise.  The third branch of government was intended to be the weakest, but that no longer appears to be the case.  And given that, electing a President willing to appoint the right kind of judges becomes absolutely critical.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The smartest move he made in the 2016 campaign was to identify publicly the right people to recommend judicial nominees.  For all his faults, the hope that he might appoint the right people to the courts was enough to sway some conservative fence-sitters.  Of course, at the time, there was no way to be sure he'd actually do that.

But since his election, he's come through in absolute spades, and backed up that promise.  The third branch of government was intended to be the weakest, but that no longer appears to be the case.  And given that, electing a President willing to appoint the right kind of judges becomes absolutely critical.

Well said and I absolutely agree. 100%

- J. R. R. Tolkien