Author Topic: Chinese forces gathering at Hong Kong border, White House officials monitoring escalation  (Read 483 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The White House is monitoring the sudden “congregation” of Chinese forces at the border with Hong Kong, according to reports, following another night of unrest and clashes between protesters and police.

A senior US official who briefed reporters on the condition of anonymity said a number of units had gathered, but it’s unclear if they are security police or part of China’s military, Bloomberg reports.

It comes as Beijing accused the United States of inciting the increasingly unruly protests in Hong Kong, which began two months ago over a proposed extradition bill that could see citizens sent to the mainland.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/chinese-forces-gathering-at-hong-kong-border-white-house-officials-monitoring-escalation/news-story/82621253f4c093c69834e041713ab34d
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

China is not the societal monolith it is portrayed as. Beijing will eventually brutally suppress demonstrations of any significance & duration because each represents a mortal threat to their regime.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Last time I was there Hong Kong was still an island.  Guess those Chinese troops are REAL good swimmers.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

Perhaps they’ll just use the available tunnels and Macao Bridge?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Perhaps they’ll just use the available tunnels and Macao Bridge?

One would hope!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sounds like Hong Kong is about to have its own "Czechoslovakian moment" (c.1968...)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Last time I was there Hong Kong was still an island.  Guess those Chinese troops are REAL good swimmers.

I think you meant Taiwan.  It is an island. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

China warns Hong Kong protesters with slick military video

HONG KONG: China's military has released a slick propaganda video showing a drill of armed troops quelling a protest in Hong Kong, in a thinly veiled warning to the city's pro-democracy movement.

The video, posted to social media on Wednesday (Jul 31) by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) garrison in Hong Kong, has a caption in which the military declares it has the "confidence" and "capabilities" to maintain security in the semi-autonomous southern Chinese city.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/hong-kong-protest-china-warns-slick-military-video-11772064

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Apparently, they’ll be taking on the protesters on land, in the air, and at sea.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Home | News | China
China's People's Liberation Army Shown Quelling Hong Kong-Like Protests in Video
2019-08-01

A protester holds a placard that reads 'Release the righteous, investigate corrupt police' outside Hong Kong's Eastern Court, July 31, 2019.
AP

China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Thursday released a propaganda video showing its soldiers practicing dispersing a crowd dressed to look like Hong Kong anti-extradition protesters, and warning them to disperse in Cantonese, the city's lingua franca.

The video, which was released by the PLA's Hong Kong garrison to mark the army's 92nd anniversary on Aug. 1, showed soldiers engaged in an "anti-riot" drill, shouting at the crowd "take the consequences at your own risk!" in Cantonese.

Soldiers are also seen advancing on the crowd with shields, carrying a red flag similar to that used by Hong Kong police to disperse protesters.

Read more at: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/quelling-08012019105858.html

Reader comment on page says we will see a bloody massacre!

Maybe,  Tiananmen looked like nothing was going to happen but then, the govt. decided to crack down hard.

Offline edpc

Reader comment on page says we will see a bloody massacre!

Maybe,  Tiananmen looked like nothing was going to happen but then, the govt. decided to crack down hard.

They're definitely sending messages. The video shows the opening response with troops using live ammo. Later, they show forces using riot gear and water cannons. They're making statements that the HK protests are sponsored by the US. An unknown military vessel rammed a Taiwanese freighter. This afternoon, Trump announced additional tariffs, beginning on Sept 1st. An escalation of tensions and a show of force seems likely.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2019/06/10/China-blames-US-for-Hong-Kong-protests/8521560173686/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/china-warship-collided-with-taiwan-freighter-coast-guard-says/ar-AAFay9N

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/01/trump-says-us-will-impose-10percent-tariffs-on-300-billion-of-chinese-goods-starting-september-1.html
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 08:39:01 pm by edpc »

Offline thackney

Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China is more than just Hong Kong Island.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

It was the strongest public intervention yet from China's armed forces but, questioned Thursday about the crisis, US President Donald Trump passed up opportunity to support the pro-democracy movement.

"That's between Hong Kong and... China," Trump told reporters at the White House. "They don't need advice."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-takes-back-seat-china-bristles-over-hong-230941029.html

Pay attention, Taiwan. You’re on the block in a potential deal with China.

Offline Victoria33