Author Topic: House GOP fears retirement wave will lead to tsunami  (Read 24027 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House GOP fears retirement wave will lead to tsunami
« on: July 30, 2019, 12:46:23 pm »
 House GOP fears retirement wave will lead to tsunami
By Reid Wilson - 07/30/19 06:00 AM EDT

House Republicans plotting to win back their majority in Congress fear they are on the brink of a massive wave of retirements that could force them to play defense in a high-stakes presidential election year.

Three House Republicans said last week they would not seek another term next year, catching party strategists off guard. Those announcements came earlier than in a typical election cycle, when members who are ready to hang up their voting cards usually wait until after the August recess or after the Christmas break.

Republicans in Congress strategizing to win back the House say the rush to the exits reflects the depressing reality of life in the minority and a pessimistic view of the GOP’s chances of regaining the majority.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/455201-house-gop-fears-retirement-wave-will-lead-to-tsunami
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: House GOP fears retirement wave will lead to tsunami
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »
What, no Trump re-election wave?     

Let's face reality, folks -  Trump as the nominee drags down the GOP ticket.    This has always been my greatest fear - not so much that a Democrat wins the Presidency, but that the GOP loses its Senate majority and the Dems can pillage at will.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 01:47:49 pm »

Let's face reality, folks -  Trump as the nominee drags down the GOP ticket.    This has always been my greatest fear - not so much that a Democrat wins the Presidency, but that the GOP loses its Senate majority and the Dems can pillage at will.

Actually @Jazzhead you are the one that needs to face reality. President Trump has brought focus to several issues plaguing our country; illegal immigration, inner-city blight, the economy and relationships around the globe.  He has managed to bring jobs back, drastically reduce unemployment and cut some taxes. He recently has made some headway on the border wall and getting Guatemala to sign as a safe country for asylum. He's taken the stranglehold off that Bammycare had on jobs.  He's been able to draw focus to the pettiness, corruption, lies and manipulation of the left.  One thing is for certain he is not afraid to call out the corruption of the left; perhaps he does so in a crass and not so polished way, but he does make his point. He puts them in their place and rightfully so.

People age as do our Congressmen and if they want to retire, well, that becomes a reality too.  People retire.

You keep bringing up Trump as the nominee. Again, the reality is, that there is NO one challenging him.  Why?  Because no one wants to walk into the hornets nest that the DEMS continue to build.  Secondly, who does the GOP have that IS willing to run??  No one.  No one is running.  No one is running because he's done some good in a short period of time in spite of all the bull coming from the left and the MSM and if they thought they could do better, they would challenge him. 

I think I have been very vocal about my disappointments in some of the things Trump has or has not done.  At the end of the day, either we vote for him to stop the insanity coming from the left, or we sit back and keep hoping for something that's not reality.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 01:51:07 pm »
Actually @Jazzhead you are the one that needs to face reality. President Trump has brought focus to several issues plaguing our country; illegal immigration, inner-city blight, the economy and relationships around the globe.  He has managed to bring jobs back, drastically reduce unemployment and cut some taxes. He recently has made some headway on the border wall and getting Guatemala to sign as a safe country for asylum. He's taken the stranglehold off that Bammycare had on jobs.  He's been able to draw focus to the pettiness, corruption, lies and manipulation of the left.  One thing is for certain he is not afraid to call out the corruption of the left; perhaps he does so in a crass and not so polished way, but he does make his point. He puts them in their place and rightfully so.

People age as do our Congressmen and if they want to retire, well, that becomes a reality too.  People retire.

You keep bringing up Trump as the nominee. Again, the reality is, that there is NO one challenging him.  Why?  Because no one wants to walk into the hornets nest that the DEMS continue to build.  Secondly, who does the GOP have that IS willing to run??  No one.  No one is running.  No one is running because he's done some good in a short period of time in spite of all the bull coming from the left and the MSM and if they thought they could do better, they would challenge him. 

I think I have been very vocal about my disappointments in some of the things Trump has or has not done.  At the end of the day, either we vote for him to stop the insanity coming from the left, or we sit back and keep hoping for something that's not reality.
Actually Jazzhead is correct.  Trump is VERY polarizing.  I have friends that love him and friends that hate him with a vengeance.  Very very few are lukewarm about him.  I have the same fear that he/she has.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 02:01:09 pm »
Actually Jazzhead is correct.  Trump is VERY polarizing.  I have friends that love him and friends that hate him with a vengeance.  Very very few are lukewarm about him.  I have the same fear that he/she has.

Reality IS, at the end of the day, either you vote for Trump to stop the insanity of the left, or you sit back, whine and moan hoping for someone to challenge him.  The reality IS no one is challenging him period.

I am not trying to sell you or anyone else on Trump.  I'm simply pointing out the reality.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 02:01:58 pm »

I want our candidate to oppose the left, and in the current media environment there is NO way to effectively oppose the left and not be 'polarizing'.

@Jazzhead says it all the time - he likes Trump's results but dislikes Trump. Apparently he'd rather do without the results and be rid of him. This is irrational.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 02:10:02 pm »
I want our candidate to oppose the left, and in the current media environment there is NO way to effectively oppose the left and not be 'polarizing'.

@Jazzhead says it all the time - he likes Trump's results but dislikes Trump. Apparently he'd rather do without the results and be rid of him. This is irrational.

Of course the left can be opposed without Trump's brand of dog-whistle baiting.   Yes, I like many of Trump's policies but it is all for naught if the man is so deliberately polarizing that he drives away independents with his wearying bullshit.   And those who oppose the President will also likely oppose the election of GOP Congressmen,  leading to the perverse result that Trump has singlehandedly created a radicalized and united Democratic party,  one that will likely take ALL the reins of government and spell disaster for conservatism. 

Trump must,  like LBJ in 1968,  step down as the nominee to save both to save his own legacy and to ensure a future for his priorities.   

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 02:20:25 pm »
Of course the left can be opposed without Trump's brand of dog-whistle baiting.   Yes, I like many of Trump's policies but it is all for naught if the man is so deliberately polarizing that he drives away independents with his wearying bullshit.   And those who oppose the President will also likely oppose the election of GOP Congressmen,  leading to the perverse result that Trump has singlehandedly created a radicalized and united Democratic party,  one that will likely take ALL the reins of government and spell disaster for conservatism. 

Trump must,  like LBJ in 1968,  step down as the nominee to save both to save his own legacy and to ensure a future for his priorities.   

What you see as 'Trump's wearying bullshit' others - me - see as the media's wearying bullshit. You're gonna get this no matter who the candidate is - the only way to avoid it is to not say things that need saying.

Since this battle has to be fought in the court of public opinion any candidate of our's who avoids these topics in an effort to be 'non-polarizing' are as worthless as tits on a boar. And we've got enough of those kind already.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 02:26:45 pm »
False choice.   This issue isn't whether to fight.  It is whether to fight smart.   You fight to persuade, not alienate.   

Offline Idiot

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 02:27:27 pm »
Reality IS, at the end of the day, either you vote for Trump to stop the insanity of the left, or you sit back, whine and moan hoping for someone to challenge him.  The reality IS no one is challenging him period.

I am not trying to sell you or anyone else on Trump.  I'm simply pointing out the reality.
I support what Trump is doing and I'll vote for him in 2020, but...would I invite him over for supper....probably not.  He's just a very caustic individual.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 02:29:55 pm »
GOP fears everything including their own shadow and THAT is the damned problem!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:48:47 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 02:34:43 pm »
False choice.   This issue isn't whether to fight.  It is whether to fight smart.   You fight to persuade, not alienate.

The left has been 'targeting, personalizing and polarizing' for years. This may not have been a smart strategy, but it sure as hell has been an effective one, judging from the fact they have gone from the fringe to damn near defining the mainstream in a few short decades.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 02:43:00 pm »
Trump must, like LBJ in 1968, step down as the nominee to save both to save his own legacy and to ensure a future for his priorities.

The country was in extreme domestic and foreign turmoil, that year. We’re not in a major conflict, with the same type of civil unrest. Also, what you propose would require Trump to have some vision beyond the here and now. He’s incapable of that and it’s why he seeks the instant gratification of the live crowd, during the rallies.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 03:01:09 pm »

Since Republicans lost the house after Trump became president, I don't think congressional Republicans have benefitted all that much from his presidency.  Just as electing Trump did not allow Republicans to retain control of the house, re-electing him will not assure Republicans take back the house. 

And it could be Republicans will lose the senate too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 03:02:32 pm »

Ok @Jazzhead what do you propose?  No one is challenging Trump, so what do you propose?  Everyone sit home, pout and not vote?  Vote DEM?  Vote Independent?  DEMS ARE fighting Trump tooth and nail; personally, I think that speaks volumes. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 03:05:37 pm »
One of the Never Trump talking pundits (G will or comrade Krystoff) said there is a double standard for Trump.?  WTF?  Like the rat party lives and dies by the "double Standard". 
F
Trump is a game changer the likes of which the left has never seen.  None of there normal shaming tactics work. It is a beautiful thing to watch.   It is a study in rat frustration.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 03:08:05 pm »

Oh for the love of God @Jazzhead unless he steps down for health or personal reasons, why would he?  He has made some headway, accomplished a good economy, put people back to work, etc. and still maintains a significant base. I realize you don't like the guy and I agree his character is "iffy" ... but no one is stepping up to challenge him and do you really think that someone is going to?  Time is ticking away and most who decide to run have formed exploratory committees, etc., 18 months to 2 years in advance. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 03:08:48 pm »
Ok @Jazzhead what do you propose?  No one is challenging Trump, so what do you propose?  Everyone sit home, pout and not vote?  Vote DEM?  Vote Independent?  DEMS ARE fighting Trump tooth and nail; personally, I think that speaks volumes.

You are better than that. People standing upon principle are not pouting.
What is it you expect to gain from such language?
Because I assure you - Your words do not benefit your cause.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 03:09:40 pm »
I support what Trump is doing and I'll vote for him in 2020, but...would I invite him over for supper....probably not.  He's just a very caustic individual.

I may not invite him over for supper, but I'd gladly sit down with him and have a cheeseburger at a local burger joint. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 03:11:12 pm »
@The Ghost

Trump may well be re-elected, but if Republicans lose the senate too, it will be the same quagmire we've had during Trump's first term.  In other words, if he did zippo during his first term, Trump won't do squat in  his second term.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 03:11:21 pm »
One of the Never Trump talking pundits (G will or comrade Krystoff) said there is a double standard for Trump.?  WTF?  Like the rat party lives and dies by the "double Standard". 
F
Trump is a game changer the likes of which the left has never seen.  None of there normal shaming tactics work. It is a beautiful thing to watch.   It is a study in rat frustration.

That's it right there, @The Ghost.

If you cling to the beliefs that Trump is doing everything "wrong," because he isn't doing it the way that it has been done, then you simply can't see what is really going on.  With that mindset, it is really easy to just call him an idiot that doesn't know what he is doing...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2019, 03:14:00 pm »
You are better than that. People standing upon principle are not pouting.
What is it you expect to gain from such language?
Because I assure you - Your words do not benefit your cause.

Ok ... I'm trying to figure out what @Jazzhead proposes??  Obviously no one is challenging Trump and he is stating that Trump MUST step down.  Even IF for some reason he did step down, who has the $$, the name recognition, the ground game, and the attention of the MSM to be able to rise above all the mud slinging, accusations and lies from the left and WIN the oval office?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2019, 03:22:38 pm »
Oh for the love of God @Jazzhead unless he steps down for health or personal reasons, why would he?  He has made some headway, accomplished a good economy, put people back to work, etc. and still maintains a significant base. I realize you don't like the guy and I agree his character is "iffy" ... but no one is stepping up to challenge him and do you really think that someone is going to?  Time is ticking away and most who decide to run have formed exploratory committees, etc., 18 months to 2 years in advance.

I see Trump as someone cognizant of his legacy,  and willing to listen to hard advice from others.   He's certainly backed away from certain positions on the advice of others.   He is also a true citizen President and,  I believe, an accidental one who was as surprised as anyone else when he won.   I can easily see him as lacking the megalomaniacal bent of someone who seeks power for his own sake.    I think he believes he's done well for nation and wants his policies to continue.   And I also believe that there's a side of him that wants to get back to his family and businesses.   

What I can foresee is Mitch McConnell meeting with the President and explaining that the prospects for the Senate are very dire,  and that the best way to retain Trump's policies and priorities is to pass the baton to a successor who can address and defend those policies on the merits without all the emotional baggage of the Trump-hate soap opera.   And in the process, save the Senate and perhaps even flip the House.   The number of Senate seats we need to defend in 2020 is very similar to the lopsided number the Dems had to defend in 2018.    Even if Trump is re-elected,  if the Senate is lost the next four years will be hell for him.   The time to escape is now - the economy is good,  and Trump's issues - immigration, growth, conservative judges - are potential winners.    With a new standard bearer - a Trump ally like Chaney or Pence or Haley -  Trump can retire in satisfaction and allow what he started to continue, grow and thrive.   

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 03:44:39 pm »
@Jazzhead

I wish what you're saying is true, but I don't think it is.  Don't see Trump abandoning his re-election plans. He's enjoying himself too much as preside t to give it up unless he has to. 

And I can't see Trump and McConnell meeting, let alone Trump taking any advice Mc Connell may give him.  From the start, Trump alienated his own party.  Maybe some Republicans are on his side, but I think that's out of fear of losing re-election when it's their time.  Or they are looking for some other benefit from Trump, such as a job in his administration.  McConnell might say a few good things about Trump sometimes, but the two are not buds. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 03:45:41 pm »

What I can foresee is Mitch McConnell meeting with the President and explaining that the prospects for the Senate are very dire,  and that the best way to retain Trump's policies and priorities is to pass the baton to a successor who can address and defend those policies on the merits without all the emotional baggage of the Trump-hate soap opera....

Exactly how are you foreseeing that?  Where is there a shred of evidence that McConnell is even considering doing that, and hasn't concluded that any such effort is likely to lead to Trump lumping McConnell himself in with guys like Flake?

You're inventing a scenario that seems to you like it has a chance of succeeding.  The problem is that there is zero evidence that McConnell or anyone else in power agrees that the effort should be made.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:48:53 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »